What's new

All Hail the Gentle and Effective Schick Krona: Initial Thoughts

1295EF8B-C295-4F5F-A87A-0E22300919FA.jpeg
3005ED65-D7DB-451B-ACA7-AD2027E8B418.jpeg
568A2F3E-C413-46F3-91A3-63A983C37587.jpeg
8465E4B1-2E10-4714-A126-C07ADDB9BB0B.jpeg

After wet shaving for over a year, exclusively with a Rockwell 2C on plate 3 for over a year, I have developed a slight case of RAD. It initially struck through PIF'd Flare Tip, and now I recently acquired a Schick Krona, a razor that struck me the first time I saw it. Now I own one, and I'd like to give you my initial thoughts (I should come back after shaving with this exclusively and see if my perceptions change). For background, I've had two shaves with this razor on a brand new PolSilver.

In any case, here it is:

Looks: Among the world of razors, and particularly post-war razors, the Schick Krona is a bit different (I'm recognize that there are some slight differences to the Krona over time, but essentially it was unchanged). To my eye, this is a classic mid-century take on the safety razor From the bottom of the handle to the top of its butterfly doors, this razor has one seamless design, with an elegant, slim and tapered handle makes it stick out. It's column-like shape is incredibly functional. The bottom, which is chrome, tells you that's where you open the doors, the middle, which is black with columns of elevated squares for added grip and, as I mentioned, I love the brushed finish on the unusually rectangular, but functional razor head. I also like that its a bit of an oddball.

The Shave: I'm benchmarking this razor against a Rockwell on Plate 3 and a Gillette Flare Tip. It is not the heaviest razor, but it does have some heft to it.It is much lighter than the Rockwell and heavier than the Flare Tip. The weight is very balanced. The handle is long. It's longer than a Rockwell and at least a head taller than a Flare Tip. In my hand it is easy to use. The head, while a bit on the large side, is easy to get the hairs under your nose (easier than a Rockwell, not as easy as the Gillette)

The first thing I noticed about this razor is that it is incredibly smooth. In my shaves, it very easily glides across my face using a PolSilver blade. While I don't have a ton of "blade feel" on this razor, it is still very efficient. It easily cuts most of 3 days growth in two passes, BBS in three. I'm hesitant to say this is is or isn't aggressive, because its a strange mix. Again, it is smooth and forgiving, but at the same time, it provided me with two incredible shaves with no irritation or burn -- even after I applied the alum.

The plastic handle provides enough grip for even the soapiest of hands.

For those who know a Flare Tip, it is far less aggressive, but as efficient. For those who know the Rockwell, it seems to be less aggressive, but more efficient than plate three.

Value: While the Krona does not seem to be as ubiquitous as a Gillette DE, if you want one, you can find a decent one for about $15 -- about the price for a good puck of artisan soap. Not a bad not a bad price for a razor that is this smooth and efficient.

Summary: While the Krona doesn't get as much love as your Gems, Fatboys and Techs, the Gillette Krona deserves a place among the classics. If have sensitive skin, but still want a very efficient razor, this may be for you. If you prefer a shave that has more blade feel, this may not be your cup of tea. If you are a daily or every 36-hours shaver, and love vintage, this should be on your radar for sure.

Last edited:
Great review, thanks for sharing! - I recently got a Krona too, I enjoy the shaves I get from it, really nothing to complain about, does the job!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Nice review, I've heard of others who have complemented on that razor also. Looks like a great deal you got and in good shape still.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes- it is the "everyman razor," and great for ladylegs, too.

I have two; one for using, and one NIB for thinking about using ...

full

full

AA

I sold all my DEs, except the Krona and the Wardonia mk1 all metal. They are both exceptional ; one from the 30s, an open comb 3 piece, the other from the 60s, a TTO. Very similar efficient shaves. I was just travelling for 3 weeks, took my Krona and some 7 o'clock yellows.
Thought I would miss my straights, but not at all...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Those of you that enjoy the Krona, what blades do you find work the best?

I used some of the vintage Schick blades and they were fine!

Normal use: Dorco Platinum Primes. For the next 13.7 years. I got a thousand-brick ...

AA

I must confess that I’m a Schick-head, but my preferred Chavez is with one of the Schick injectors, usually an N1 oe Oc clone. However, on the few times that i use a DE, i reach for my Krona. In my opinion, it’s a mild razor, but as mentioned, it is quite efficient. I believe it wots best with a sharp blade. Personally I like them with a Personna Lab (AKA Blue) blade.

Top Bottom