What's new

All clad cleaning

I found a few pieces of all-clad SS with copper core that looks AWFUL. However, they are structurally sound. Tried to clean them with Bon Ami, to not avail. Any tips or tricks out there??

A bit of steel wool might help.... I use it on my SS pots and pans all the time with a bit of cream cleaner.

we have the copper core.. bar keepers friend does wonders *but* the active ingredient in there is definitely corrosive. Follow the instructions with regards to letting it rest for a minute and then rinsing (and repeating as necessary). Do not leave it on over night or anything. (We have ruined lids this way).

Okay, I’ll pick up barkeepers friend and some gloves. What kind of cleaning instrument? Sponge/scrubby/or gentle steel wool?

Okay, I’ll pick up barkeepers friend and some gloves. What kind of cleaning instrument? Sponge/scrubby/or gentle steel wool?

I've always used paper towels formed into a pad. The Bar Keeper's Friend I use as a paste/slurry combined with a little elbow grease. I would NEVER use steel wool on my stainless, but that's me.:wink2:

You may have a bunch of work ahead of you, but if it's real All Clad, it should come back. Good luck!

For baked-on gunk, I like to use a strong solution of boiling water and dish soap such as Dawn. Put the pan in the sink and carefully cover with near-boiling water from a large pasta pot or similar large pot. Use oven mitts so you don't get burned by steam. Leave to soak for a few hours, then scrub with Scotchbrite pad and Bar Keeper's Friend.

I have a copper core all in one pan. When searing I get burnt on "stuff" and I just come back after dinner and put the pan on low heat and then get my hand wet and dribble a bit of water on the burnt on bits. Normally this does a pretty good job of deglazing it and I wipe it out with a paper towel. If there is still more ... I soak it in the sink for 3-4 min and then scrub with either a bit of dish soap or some bar keeper friend (rarely needed) depending on how stubborn it is. If I use the BKF then I do another pass with dish soap and water. I let it drip dry on a dish towel on the counter. Before I go to bed I put it away in the cupboard.

Not sure if I am doing it correctly or not but even backed on stuff in a roasting pan comes off pretty easy using the same approach.

Reactions: Avi

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Bar Keepers friend with a stainless scrubber (per their directions) works for really tough stuff. Vinegar soak for a couple of minutes gets rid of the more common spots.

Like cast iron, boiling water covers 99% of the stuck on stuff.

we also use paper towels or the soft side of a kitchen sponge.. there is some magic in bar keepers friend that is effectively "dissolving" the gunk. It will remove everything. There is the powder bar keepers and the liquid one. I find the powder one easier to use and it feels more effective to me but that is just my intuition/feeling rather than some rigorously controlled double blind experiment.

Btw copper core is great.. we switched to this when we went w/ induction (from the LTD which was well over 10 yrs old and still going strong). We don't really baby our pots / pans and use them like they are meant to be used/abused and I can't really ask for anything more.

The day to day "deglaze" trick is what we do as well. Bar keepers friend is mostly if someone (ahem) leaves the pot on the stove or isn't quite used to how quickly induction can boil liquid away or gets distracted by munchkins etc..

Last edited:
There is the powder bar keepers and the liquid one. I find the powder one easier to use and it feels more effective to me but that is just my intuition/feeling rather than some rigorously controlled double blind experiment.

I agree. The powder does work better.

+1 on Barkeepers Friend. The liquid is convenient but the powder can be mixed stronger. Let it sit for a while. It has oxalic acid in it. It can eat right through copper and will even affect stainless slightly, but it works.

I deep clean my stainless steel cookware (Serafino Zani, "Karen") using Easy Off oven cleaner BUT... The copper base of the Zani cookware is completely clad in stainless; I wouldn't try this if your All Clad has any exposed copper.

Top Bottom