What's new

All Brass LC New

Picked this LC New up recently. I have several LC and SC News but this is the first all yellow brass one I have seen. My other News have the copper colored caps or gold wash. It was almost black when I got it. As I started to clean it, I thought it still had some gold wash on the cap but was surprised to find it was yellow brass. There is no plating left on this razor, it is just polished brass. I am guessing it is a 29' or 30' but thought I would solicit the collective for your thoughts.
brassnew1.jpg brassnew2.jpg

I'm not one hundred percent sure but from the looks of it it seems to be a Gillette Federal razor from 1930 just as you suspected. I have one just like it but mine has a copper toned top cap probably due to cleaning in the past. The shave that I got from mine was absolutely spectacular. Enjoy it, nice find!!

R

romsitsa

Hello,

some NEW have yellow caps, other red.
I suspect they were cast from what material was on hand.
As it a US manufacture it most probably had a gold wash and lacquer finnish.
As the razor was the same in all cases it's impossible to track down the original modell.

Adam

Thanks for the info. It has a couple of small cracks in the handle as usual but nothing I can't fix. Once fixed, I will give it a go.

After the $1 razor challenge I took my 29/30 all yellow brass New for a spin. Put a new Feather in it and was amazed how smooth it shaved. Bbs no problem. The News are truly great razors IMHO.

Hello,

some NEW have yellow caps, other red.
I suspect they were cast from what material was on hand.
As it a US manufacture it most probably had a gold wash and lacquer finnish.
As the razor was the same in all cases it's impossible to track down the original modell.

Adam

Yes it would have depended what brass alloy they purchased, the 2 common ones would have been red or yellow brass. Red brass has at least 80% copper and yellow no more than I think 65% copper. Either would have been used in making water pipes or musical instruments so both would have been suitable for razors.

There is a reason why they would have used the red brass for the caps and not yellow. It has to do with corrosion, red brass because it is the lower of the 2 in zinc content would have been more suitable for the cap. The cap would have been more exposed to a combination of water, soap, salts, saliva, etc. because of it being the piece most in contact with the face.

Last edited:
How did you fix the cracks? I'm also waiting for one with cracks in the handle.

I sand the ends until they fit loosely in the tube. I use zip ties to close the cracks. Sanding the ends leaves room for glue. I put a small amount of super glue on the ends then push them in with one quick motion, one end at a time. Clean off excess glue quickly. Let it set for 24 hours then remove zip ties and polish with brass.

Top Bottom