What's new

ALL AVENTUS AUGUST (starts August, 1st)

OK this is a simple question that requires a multi part answer.

And it calls for the usual disclaimer: this is based on my personal experience alone. It's all very subjective.

I got aquainted with the Aventus DNA through Fine Platinum (I still find the aftershave splash to be one of the best Aventus-style scents ever made).

I liked the splash so much, I got the Platinum EdT, which was nice enough, very pineapple-y, but also very short lived.

I don't know if you've ever read anything by HP Lovecraft but there's always that key moment in every story when the character starts his descent into madness, those first few steps, driven by very noble intentions.

Yeah, for me that moment was when I told myself "I like the Platinum EdT BUT there's gotta be something better and still affordable out there..."

Long story short, I ended up with Montblanc Explorer, Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man (the Limited Edition EdP which says Parfum on the bottle but is still just an EdP concentration) and a tiny 2ml sample of actual Aventus from Scent Split.

For me, Explorer is the best daily driver. It's Aventus-inspired but simpler, fresher, and it really does its own thing in the drydown. Some people would say it's more bland, but I really like it. I get bergamot (that plays the role of the pineapple in this case) and peppery, smoky woods. Better longevity than Platinum EdT, but less than Armaf CDNIM

Armaf has 3 (or maybe even 4?) versions of CDNIM, and I'm reading all sorts of bad things about batch variations. There's the OG EdT, then they came out with Limited Edition (that used to say EdP on the box, but Parfum on the bottle), then the big EdP bottle came out, and the Limited Edition now says Parfum on the box AND the bottle.

People say the EdT has a super harsh citrus opening, Lemon Pledge style, but the drydown is really nice and super close to the real deal. The first batch of the Limited Edition was smoother, sweeter, felt classier. The EdP and the latest batch of the Limited Edition seem to be the exact same juice, a bit smoother than the EdT, but not as good as the first Limited Edition batch.

I own the latest version of Limited Edition and I like it. It's the strongest and longest lived of everything Aventus-like I own. But there's this very insistent smoky birch note that feels definitely less natural than the real deal. Layering this and Explorer gives the most accurate experience so far, but you gotta be in the mood because that scent cloud is gonna be intense and last a while.

Now, the first tiny sample of real Aventus I got, was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately it didn't come with batch code info. It blew every clone out of the water. It was so well balanced, pineapple-y but not too sweet, woody, smoky, but never harsh. And it projected juuust the right amount, and lasted juuust long enough. Nothing came close. So I decided to get a bigger sample (the one in the picture).

And here's where my super long post gets interesting. The batch I got (from Decant Boutique), while really nice, smells a LOT like my CDNIM bottle! Harsh smoky birch note and everything. It still feels more natural and well blended, but the character is definitely in the same ball park. I understand now, what people were saying about CDNIM's drydown being 90% similar to the real deal.

So in conclusion, Aventus batch variations make it almost impossible to pinpoint the "closest dupe", but CDNIM is really close to some of those batches (I'm guessing the more recent ones).

Whew, that was a lot of words, I hope they were somewhat helpful :)

==============================================================================
Here's a list of apparently good dupes that I haven't had the pleasure of testing yet:
- BondNo9.com by Bond No. 9
- Pineapple Vintage (and Vintage Intense) by Parfums Vintage
- Afnan Supremacy Silver
- L'Aventure Cologne pour Homme by Al Haramain

And in the same "spirit" but quite different in the execution, Mancera Cedrat Boise is pretty damn good. I did try this one and love it.

First of all, I ,ahem, my friend :laugh: would like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking the time to elaborating your experience. Your post is well worth being a bookmark.

As of now I have used (and still do)
> Montblanc Explorer EdP, which I like quite a lot. It's got a delicate oakmossy punch and has an excellent staying power. It's one of my daily drivers when it comes to fragrances.

>Al Haramain L'Aventure (which is not a bad interpretation of this type of scent but the pineapple notes smell a tad artificial to MY nose prior to the drydown).

> the ARMAF CDNIM EdT.
TBH, I like the EdT extremely well - even the lemony opening. The lemony start smells clean and vibrant to my nose (not harsh) and doesn't remind me of a citrus cleanser at all. And I'm quite picky when it comes to lemony notes in soaps/fragrances... After a short time (about 15 to 20 minutes) the drydown begins, the citrus notes recede and give more space to the pineapple and smoky/oakmossy notes. The longevity gives no cause for complaint, it stays for hours.

Finally, the ARMAF CDNIM EdP - the delivery of my order is scheduled for Saturday.

I tried to order the EdP prior to the start of AAA but it was entirely sold out here in Germany.
(I did not opt for the Limited Edition EdP instead since the retail price of the LE was 2.5 times more expensive than the regular EdP - it seems like a smart move to remain patient according to your statement those fragrances being the same stuff).

I never have layered a fragrance but I might give the ARMAF EdT x Explorer a try...

*deep sigh*
If only it weren't for the variations in the former/recent batches of the original...
There seems to be a general consensus that things have changed in the last couple of years... your findings are in line with the majority of reviews I read.

Anyway, I guess I will get myself the real deal sometime... if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Again, thanks a lot for your reply, very appreciated!

Last edited:
First of all, I ,ahem, my friend :laugh: would like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking the time to elaborating your experience. Your post is well worth being a bookmark.

As of now I have used (and still do)
> Montblanc Explorer EdP, which I like quite a lot. It's got a delicate oakmossy punch and has an excellent staying power. It's one of my daily drivers when it comes to fragrances.

>Al Haramain L'Aventure (which is not a bad interpretation of this type of scent but the pineapple notes smell a tad artificial to MY nose prior to the drydown).

> the ARMAF CDNIM EdT.
TBH, I like the EdT extremely well - even the lemony opening. The lemony start smells clean and vibrant to my nose (not harsh) and doesn't remind me of a citrus cleanser at all. And I'm quite picky when it comes to lemony notes in soaps/fragrances... After a short time (about 15 to 20 minutes) the drydown begins, the citrus notes recede and give more space to the pineapple and smoky/oakmossy notes. The longevity gives no cause for complaint, it stays for hours.

Finally, the ARMAF CDNIM EdP - the delivery of my order is scheduled for Saturday.

I tried to order the EdP prior to the start of AAA but it was entirely sold out here in Germany.
(I did not opt for the Limited Edition EdP instead since the retail price of the LE was 2.5 times more expensive than the regular EdP - it seems like a smart move to remain patient according to your statement those fragrances being the same stuff).

I never have layered a fragrance but I might give the ARMAF EdT x Explorer a try...

*deep sigh*
If only it weren't for the variations in the former/recent batches of the original...
There seems to be a general consensus that things have changed in the last couple of years... your findings are in line with the majority of reviews I read.

Anyway, I guess I will get myself the real deal sometime... if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Again, thanks a lot for your reply, very appreciated!

My pleasure!

And yeah, honestly, a 20-30 ml decant of Aventus is not that expensive (all things considered) and totally worth owning if only to have a reference for future clone purchases haha

It’s easy to start going down the dupe rabbit hole only to realize a few months later that the experiment cost you twice as much as a bottle of the real stuff, plus you’re bound to be disappointed by some of them.

Oh and before I forget, Nishane Hacivat is also worth looking into. Oakmossy, earthy, Aventussy and super high quality. Based on what you wrote in your last post, I’m thinking you’d love it. :)

My pleasure!

And yeah, honestly, a 20-30 ml decant of Aventus is not that expensive (all things considered) and totally worth owning if only to have a reference for future clone purchases haha

It’s easy to start going down the dupe rabbit hole only to realize a few months later that the experiment cost you twice as much as a bottle of the real stuff, plus you’re bound to be disappointed by some of them.

Oh and before I forget, Nishane Hacivat is also worth looking into. Oakmossy, earthy, Aventussy and super high quality. Based on what you wrote in your last post, I’m thinking you’d love it. :)

Thank you for your recommendations.

With the ARMAF EdP coming, I guess I have my bases covered well (ignoring the blind spot caused by the original fragrance 😉). I don't have the feeling I have burnt too much money on these four fragrances... I like Explorer and ARMAF EdT that much that I'll rebuy it once its gone... L'Aventure will be used up, too.

I'll have a look on the decant options though... 😉

Happy shaves!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210802_131810.jpg

Second shave of AAA with RR The Emperor, bit of a disappointment with this soap, I think I will need to try to get a better lather with this soap in future

This morning's shave was fantastic! During my cold shower this morning, I soaked my Van der Hagen Night Star three-band badger brush in some cold water. I also placed an almond-sized piece of Captain's Choice Venture croap into my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl and partially filled the latter with some cold water and let it soak during my shower.

I completed a two pass shave (WTG and ATG) with my Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.m. This was the fifth shave with this particular Polisilver blade (part of the Polisilver Unobtainium challenge).

Before each pass, I wet my face with some of the water I'd used to soak the shave soap (that I then poured into a cup before making lather) and then applied some lather. Each time, I initially brushed the cream on to my face with circles but thickened up the lather with painting strokes.

This shave was excellent. In addition to the two passes, I also did my usual buffing of my trouble spots. Throughout the shave, I did not feel the blade but I knew I was getting an effective shave because I could hear the whiskers meeting the blade. l had forgotten how slick and cushiony a lather Captain's Choice Venture creates. It was so smooth a shave, I felt just the mildest (and barely noticeable) stinging from the alum block rubdown.

After rinsing off the alum block with cold water, I applied some Pinaud Clubman and followed that with some Nivea Sensitive Skin Post-Shave balm. There was the usual alcohol sting with the Pinaud. The Nivea helped to soothe and nourish my skin (though with the present heat, I'm not sure it needs much nourishing).

All in all, I would give this shave a 98/100.

Attachments

• 505AD581-5601-43FF-BEB8-048985D7DF53.jpeg
    505AD581-5601-43FF-BEB8-048985D7DF53.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 6

Whilliam

First Class Citizen

Today is
TUESDAY
3 August, 2021

______

Pre: CeraVe Moisturizing Bar
Brush: PAA "Aerolite Amber"
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavy Copper
Lather: Stirling "Executive Man"
Razor: Hone "Type 15"
Blade: Gillette "Nacet"
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizer
Frag: Armaf "Club de Nuit"
Beginning "Aventus/Arko August"
with some ersatz Aventus.
Feels good, smells great.

Stay healthy,

Bill

20210802_153456-01.jpeg
SOTD #194/2021
02-08-2021

>> All Aventus August <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Mühle Traditional Silvertip Fibre Synthetic 21mm
Soap: Razorock ~ Emperor
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (12)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Razorock ~ Emperor AS.
Fragrance: Al Haramain L'Aventure EdP.

AAA - shave no. 3

Razorock's Emperor is a nice and slick soap. I started with a rather dry brush and added water constantly dropwise - until my lather was creamy and properly hydrated.

It's obvious that even a new vintage Polsilver Stainless doesn't provide a benchmark sharpness level (but the smoothness does). It became clear in my third pass today. When shaving with the R41 it's the ATG pass where a blade must be as sharp as possible to receive the desired level of comfort. That's not been the case today, however, overall the result still was comfy enough. BBS on the cheeks, dfs on the neck. No nicks, no irritation. Nicely finished with the Emperor AS (moderate burn).

Happy shaves!

How do you like the new formula of Platinum? How does it perform?
It's the only Fine formula I've ever used :) I like it (them) quite a bit.

They are quite soft and fast-loading. My tub of L'Orange Noir is near to a cream. The ones I have used so far are L'Orange Noir, Aquamarine, and Platinum obvs. Love them all. They seem reliably easy to lather (face latherer) and the performance and face feel have been exemplary to my needs. There may be some other brands that have more notable or exceptional post face feel, but I have zero complaints and they are in my tier to use when I want to a pleasant, frustration-free shave.

I have a Lavendar and Fresh Vetiver in small tubs that appear to be hard, milled soaps, so I imagine that's the "old" formula? I haven't tried them yet, but plan to eventually.

Taking my daugters out for dinner tonight and decided on using the PAA Doppelgänger Gray Label pairing of soap & splash after my shower. This soap doesn’t get much mention in the forums but, this version in the CK-6 formula is an astounding performer that contains no tallow. And yet it feels and lathers as one giving excellent glide, slickness and protection. The scent is in the Aventus realm though, not as strong or well rounded as the Ethos soap. Still, it’s in the ballpark and the splash is a heck of a performer with a more pronounced scent with decent longevity. Finished it off with another good clone from Banana Republic, Black Walnut Legend. It carries a nice resemblance to The King but, it’s more bergamot, kumquat, patchouli, leather and a crisp clean musk. I detect a light floral aspect, perhaps geranium. The bad news, it doesn’t last very long so, over spraying is not an issue with this one. It’s quite enjoyable while it lasts.

HomelikeShaving START/Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow/PAA Rocket 26mm/Doppelgänger Gray Label soap & splash/Banana Republic Black Walnut Legend edp.

Great shaves to all….

6F47F8D8-1511-4FDD-9DA9-22FFCE53F000.jpeg

20210804_134242-01.jpeg
SOTD #196/2021
04-08-2021

>> All Aventus August <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Executive Man
Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (13)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Executive Man AS.
Fragrance: Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man EdT

AAA - shave no. 4

Stirling Soap Executive Man is one of my favourite shaving soaps. As such with other Stirling soaps, I like that it seems simply impossible to make a bad lather with it. The residual slickness is extraordinary - and the scent of EM is plain and simple beguiling. Mrs JAHE's is a big fan :biggrin:. Armaf CDNIM EdT is a nice match, since the EdT starts with a fruit-driven opening, too.

Now, the shave of the day. I guess the time has come to gracefully retire this blade soon. However, I'm impressed. A baker's dozen of good shaves is way more than I expected after the first shaves, since the blade did not feel overly sharp in the beginning. But it constantly kept the level of (decent enough) sharpness, whilst maintaining an unrivaled smoothness.

Today I had to do quite a bit of touch ups before I got to the desired DFS+ level. The blade is still smooth and does cut, but the efficiency is fading. I don't want to end up with irritation on my rather sensitive neck area... This being said: onward to shave no. 14!

Happy shaves, y'all!

Last edited:
Top Bottom