What's new

All About Oil!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have been wetshaving for a little over 10 years now. I have sensitive skin, and a pirate beard that grows in all directions. As a consequence, I generally have to use very aggressive/efficient razors and buff the heck out of my face. This results in redness, irritation, and angry skin.

I have tried a plethora of aftershave products in an effort to combat this angry, inflamed skin. Even the most nourishing splashes left something lacking. I could only shave every other day - I just had to give my skin a chance to settle down. Balms weren’t much better. I coupled high quality aftershave products with the very best soaps and creams. While buying the best quality products may have mitigated my issues, it certainly did not solve them. Shaving multiple days in a row, or chasing BBS, almost always resulted in pain, redness, inflammation,and irritation.

I was thinking that there had to be a better way. I was scouring the aftershave forum when I came upon a product that seemed too good to be true: Sebum Gold. I was skeptical just based on the high price, but the owner’s video convinced me that there was something to it. Why should you put alcohol on your face? Alcohol was introduced into post-shave products to combat infection resulting from less-than-sanitary barber shop environments. Alcohol is not good for your skin. Although the price was steep I was desperate so I coughed up the cash.

The results were stunning. Although I will admin that it felt weird to be putting oil onto my face instead of a typical aftershave, the Sebum worked miles better than anything else I had ever used. Using Sebum, I discovered that I could now shave every day. The angry red irritation that had plagued me vanished. My face was looking healthier and feeling better than it ever had before.

Based upon my experience with Sebum, I transformed my shave as well. Instead of lathering with a brush and soap or cream, I tried ditching the brush altogether. I stopped buying quality soaps (e.g., Grooming Department), and instead purchased a bunch of Dr. Carver’s Shave Butter. I would just rub it on with my hands and shave while taking a shower.

While the results from this were not as revelatory as for Sebum, they were nonetheless noticeable. My skin wasn’t as dry as when I used soaps or creams. The act of rinsing my face off after shaving no longer burned.

I discovered more products. Grooming Department actually had a serum, similar to Sebum. So did Badger Face tonic. I have managed to try these products, and, although different from Sebum, they accomplished the same thing at a much cheaper price point.

Now, a segway, that will tie into the main point eventually. I have had painful eczema on my hands for years now. I think it was the result of switching to Dr. Bronner’s soap years ago. Since the eczema flared up for the first time, whatever body soap I have used - liquid or solid, expensive or cheap - resulted in eczema. Even if I applied moisturizer to my hands, it didn’t really help that much - it only mitigated the symptoms.

One day, I thought to myself - didn’t the ancient Greek’s and Romans clean themselves with olive oil? This sent me down the rabbit hole. It turns out that mass-produced modern soaps are actually detergents. They are not good for your skin. Genuine soaps, like Greek olive oil soaps, are expensive. Would they help? Using Greek soaps definitely helped, but they didn’t cure the eczema. What about oil? Can you clean yourself with just oil?

I searched Amazon and found Eucerin Skin Calming Body Wash. The ingredients are first and foremost oils. I purchased it, and, similar to my experience with Sebum, it was weird at first. No lather; I had to spread it everywhere with my hands. But the proof is in the pudding - after a few days of using it, the Eczema on my dry, swollen hands had vanished.

So that is my journey so far. Switching to oil-based cleansers and aftershaves has made a world of difference to me. In the new year, after the annual restraint is over, I am going to buy a bunch of oil-based shave products now that I have nearly exhausted my stash of traditional. If oil works great as an aftershave and body wash, why not as a shave product? I used Shave Secret many years ago, and there have been many products released since then that I am sure are better.

Now the question arises - why make this thread?

Two reasons: I wanted to share the experience on the forum, in the hopes that my years of trial and error may help someone else suffering from similar problems. Post-shave pain just sucks. This has cured it for me.

The main reason I created a thread is that I wanted to make a running review thread, where I offer up my opinions about oil products I have tried! I am going to purchase a bunch come January first, and since they are oil-based body washes, shave lubricant, and aftershave, a thread in General Shaving Discussion was the most appropriate place to put it.

So, without further ado, welcome to the All About Oil thread!

Well done, @CzechCzar! I‘m glad you found the Grooming Dept serum—much cheaper, and same performance on my face as Sebum Gold. My old hide can handle anything, though. I think I spent too much time in the Colorado sun as a lifeguard using only baby oil with iodine as my “sunscreen.”

I am for many years happy with a dfs and do not mind the bbs just not forcing it.
And of course you try everything even nuru gel (you can shave with it not only have a massage).
I tried oils as a complete solution I ended up shaving way to deep.
Sometimes however I do use floid shaveoil when I want to squeeze a bit more efficiency as a last atg oil pass out of a oneblade core which blade is already wearing down. Or when I need some extra glide.
But never a full oil shave just the last pass.
However what I learned is that forms my skin in winter it is needed to use some night cream (I prefer a foot cream with camphor) and pre shave scrub menthol soap.

What a great thread. Every face is different and what works for any individual varies wildly. The more we learn from others the better we can find what works best for ourselves.

I have been wetshaving for a little over 10 years now. I have sensitive skin, and a pirate beard that grows in all directions. As a consequence, I generally have to use very aggressive/efficient razors and buff the heck out of my face. This results in redness, irritation, and angry skin.

I have tried a plethora of aftershave products in an effort to combat this angry, inflamed skin. Even the most nourishing splashes left something lacking. I could only shave every other day - I just had to give my skin a chance to settle down. Balms weren’t much better. I coupled high quality aftershave products with the very best soaps and creams. While buying the best quality products may have mitigated my issues, it certainly did not solve them. Shaving multiple days in a row, or chasing BBS, almost always resulted in pain, redness, inflammation,and irritation...

After ten years I think I would have bought a less "aggressive" razor as well as eliminated any ATG passes. That would have solved all your issues in a day. No aftershave will fix that. A salicylic acid product will help however.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well done, @CzechCzar! I‘m glad you found the Grooming Dept serum—much cheaper, and same performance on my face as Sebum Gold. My old hide can handle anything, though. I think I spent too much time in the Colorado sun as a lifeguard using only baby oil with iodine as my “sunscreen.”
I honestly wish I could get by with alcoholic aftershaves - it would certainly smell better and be cheaper!

As to those questioning my methods or my madness, or offering tips - this is really not the place to do so. I am posting what works for me. Those who want to offer advice, feel free, but I am unlikely modify my current philosophy.

I’m just beginning to look into oils and how they can help me with my shave and my wife with her seemingly untreatable dry hands. I’m interested in creating a preshave oil with scents for me and one for my wife to use with her hands.
Thus far emu oil shows great promise.

I always shave with oil also. I have tried some soaps and creams but I can't get as good a shave as when I use just oil. I like shave secret a lot, I have used plain olive oil which is pretty good. I just tried alonzos shave oil which seems pretty good. Also been using evil eye lime shave oil from razorock and I like that too.

Best aftershave I have found is melting some 100% shea butter in my hand and rubbing it on my face. Feels great and keeps face moisturized all day. I rub some on my hands too and it keeps them from getting too dry in winter. You can get it on amazon.

Years ago, on an overnight trip, I found myself on a Sunday morning without any shaving soap or cream in a country where stores are closed on Sundays.
I re-discovered a small bottle of L’Occitane shaving oil hidden in a corner of my kit that I had long forgotten about and got a better than expected shave from it.

That piqued my interest in oils and I shaved with various oils for a few months.
I found that lighter oils, like the ones used in physiotherapy and massage, work better than thicker oils, like olive oils.

Unsurprisingly, oils excel at lubricating, but a good shaving soap/cream does more than that and shaving oils do nothing to soften the beard or moisten the facial skin to the extent that it rises and swells ever so lightly.

In a nutshell, I got adequate results from various shaving oils, but nothing that a good shaving soap or cream could not do better.

As far as your ”As to those questioning my methods or my madness, or offering tips - this is really not the place to do so” comment is concerned, I can only agree partly.
I have no intention to change your behaviour, but you presented an idea to this forum and the essential function of a forum (see below) is to debate ideas, so that everyone can decide for himself whether to agree, disagree, or use the idea as an inspiration.
Announcing that ”this is really not the place to do so” differs fundamentally from my understanding of the concept of a forum.

Courtesy of Merriam-Webster:
Definition of forum

a: the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business
b: a public meeting place for open discussion “The club provides a forum for people interested in local history”.
c: a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

B.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I am not a fan of shave oils they always give me a grabby painful plucking. I have had good luck with shave butters and similar which are usually much more nourishing to the skin than transitional soaps. Dr. Carver and Billy Jealousy are my favorites.

Years ago, on an overnight trip, I found myself on a Sunday morning without any shaving soap or cream in a country where stores are closed on Sundays.
I re-discovered a small bottle of L’Occitane shaving oil hidden in a corner of my kit that I had long forgotten about and got a better than expected shave from it.

That piqued my interest in oils and I shaved with various oils for a few months.
I found that lighter oils, like the ones used in physiotherapy and massage, work better than thicker oils, like olive oils.

Unsurprisingly, oils excel at lubricating, but a good shaving soap/cream does more than that and shaving oils do nothing to soften the beard or moisten the facial skin to the extent that it rises and swells ever so lightly.

In a nutshell, I got adequate results from various shaving oils, but nothing that a good shaving soap or cream could not do better.

As far as your ”As to those questioning my methods or my madness, or offering tips - this is really not the place to do so” comment is concerned, I can only agree partly.
I have no intention to change your behaviour, but you presented an idea to this forum and the essential function of a forum (see below) is to debate ideas, so that everyone can decide for himself whether to agree, disagree, or use the idea as an inspiration.
Announcing that ”this is really not the place to do so” differs fundamentally from my understanding of the concept of a forum.

Courtesy of Merriam-Webster:
Definition of forum

a: the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business
b: a public meeting place for open discussion “The club provides a forum for people interested in local history”.
c: a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

B.
I’m unsure who you’re defending yourself from?
All shave soaps/creams are just different fats and oils whipped up with some tasty flavors.🤓

Dr Jon's now sells an oil they call "all purpose oil." They say it can be used as a hair oil, a beard oil, a moisturizer, and as a preshave oil.

I got a bottle of it for Christmas from Santa. I don't have a beard, but I have used it for all three other purposes and I think it works well. Might be worth looking into for the OP.

It's a mixture of oils. I think meadowfoam seed oil is highest on the ingredients list.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
And we are off! I am going to divide my reviews into aftershave oils and shaving oils.

I unfortunately found the Grooming Department After Shave Serum was out of stock. Because I am doing the annual restraint, I almost certainly will not be able to buy any this year.

Luckily, I have some great options. Sebum Gold and Badger Cooling Bergamont are both amazing, with very similar performances. Sebum has the definite advantage in absorption speed, Badger has the definite advantage in price. They both soothe my skin better than any other product I have ever tried.

I guess this should not be surprising, because they are both fundamentally oil-based products.

Sebum's ingredients are:
Organic jojoba oil, virgin red raspberry seed oil, squalane oil (from olives), virgin passion fruit seed oil, virgin organic argan oil, and anti-aging essential oils blend

Badger's ingredients are:
Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Baobab Oil, Organic Bergamot Oil, Organic Rosehip Extract, Sunflower Vitamin E, Organic Menthol

If these ingredients were equally priced I would go for the Sebum, because it may be ever so slightly more soothing than the Badger Oil, and because the opening on the bottle of badger oil is too darn big. If you don't cover it completely you will end up pouring out a fifth of the bottle if you aren't careful.

I would strongly recommend that those skeptical of oils try out Badger aftershave oils. You will be surprised!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Dr Jon's now sells an oil they call "all purpose oil." They say it can be used as a hair oil, a beard oil, a moisturizer, and as a preshave oil.

I got a bottle of it for Christmas from Santa. I don't have a beard, but I have used it for all three other purposes and I think it works well. Might be worth looking into for the OP.

It's a mixture of oils. I think meadowfoam seed oil is highest on the ingredients list.
Interesting! How does it perform as an aftershave?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I’m unsure who you’re defending yourself from?
All shave soaps/creams are just different fats and oils whipped up with some tasty flavors.🤓
Not true. That's the fallacy of composition. The difference I have noticed between soaps and creams on the one hand, and oils on the other, disproves this.

How would you rate the thickness of the badger oil? I find that a thicker oil protects my skin more while shaving. A thinner oil will give a closer shave and better glide but not as protective.

Shave secret is just about right, a little on the thick side. Alonzos is more on the light side but seems good, I don't have a lot of shaves with it yet. The razorock lime is probably in the middle of those two. I tried pacific shave oil and it was like water, threw it away after one shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I got around to trying the shave secret. The smell. Oily Vanilla. Can't do it. All three oils will not go to waste though. They should work great on my coarse silicon carbide oilstone.

Top Bottom