What's new

Alfa Safety Razor

Hi everyone,

this one arrived last Monday:

DSC_8336.jpg

DSC_8356.jpg DSC_8355.jpg DSC_8359.jpg

I found it while looking to buy a larger batch of Barbus Shave Soap. For its price (less than 2.50 €), I had thought there'd be little to lose, especially since I found the head design quite intriguing, resembling a Neilite, while being much more accessible and affordable.

I ordered a bunch of other shaving supplies while there, and while I'm actually happy with all of those I tried, this is one of the two favourites of the batch so far.

As expected, the razor is really lightweight, made of some sort of plastic. The package isn't terribly specific about this, only mentions PP (polypropylene) and PAP (paper) on the recycling labels, but it's possible that the PP is just the thin sheet that holds the razor and the paper card wrapped together.
The finish isn't the best, but pretty good, especially considering the price, with no major issues, just slight imperfections here and there.

Despite its weight, it feels good in the hand because, while the handle feels smooth, its shape helps prevent the razor from slipping and allows for a pretty good grip.
Blade alignment is a non-issue, absolutely spot on and secure.

I have only shaved with it twice so far, but both shaves have been pretty consistent, so I thought I'd post this now and update later as needed.

During both shaves, I used Dr. Bronner's Shaving Soap (which, BTW., I found only usable when minimising the amount of water used as much as possible, but it makes me use too much of it).

During both, I had been in a bit of a rush, but despite that, I managed two passes and ended up with very satisfactory shaves with an Astra SP blade.
The first one was WTG and ATG, ending very near a BBS result.
The second one was WTG and XTG, ending with a CCS, despite the irritation a different cheap razor gave me after the first shave with this one (didn't hold the blade securely enough, it it was jittery).

The razor is about medium aggressive (I can feel a the blade), but it's also very efficient. I would say the blade feel is just enough to let me know how and where I'm dragging the razor. I would say the razor is efficient enough that a single pass, even WTG, looks quite socially acceptable, one XTG is definitely so.
The blade gap doesn't seem like much, but the teeth more than make up for it. I had no issues with clogging at all, despite the soap being super-thick.
Applying no pressure is crucial, although, due to the weight of the razor, it's not always easy. Despite that, I have experienced no discomfort while using it, except when applying an alcohol based aftershave where I had previously irritated my skin with the other cheap razor. Looks like I'll have to take a bit of a shaving break for a few days until that heals properly.

Compared to most other cheap razors I have tried so far, it beats most of them and is about on par with the Acevivi dual comb razor in terms of efficiency, perhaps even a little better.

I'm still hoping to grab a Neilite for comparison's sake and maybe the Merkur 45 later this year.
However, I'm very happy with this one and might even grab a few spares. If I wouldn't manage to get my hands on a Neilite or the Merkur, I wouldn't feel too bad about it now that I have this one.
Having said that, should anyone like to send me theirs for a week to compare these, I wouldn't mind at all. ;-)

The website I bought it from says it's a Czech product, but the bar code suggests it's actually made in Slovakia (beings with 858). That might be just where it's wrapped, though, even if it doesn't make much sense considering the price.

I got mine here:
Alfa Klasický holící oboustranný strojek s žiletkami Astra 5 kusů

The picture makes it look like it's shaped the same as one of the Russian razors posted up not too long ago.

Glad to hear it's a decent shaver. Those are hard to find in the low cost products.

The picture makes it look like it's shaped the same as one of the Russian razors posted up not too long ago.

Glad to hear it's a decent shaver. Those are hard to find in the low cost products.

Thanks for chiming in.
Do you have a link to the thread it was in? I tried looking for it, but couldn't find it.

Aaah, of course. Cheers. :)
I have the Saiver 2.0 (I forgot it was Russian XD) and you're right, the general shape of the head it pretty similar.
With both of them, finding the angle is pretty much instant, although the Saiver has more usable angles, even though both are most efficient when just using the head shape to determine the angle. Both very good shavers.

I wonder if that's why the heads have the triangular shape - supposedly to help people find the right starting angle.

I wonder if that's why the heads have the triangular shape - supposedly to help people find the right starting angle.

I think so too. In a way, it's like that too with e. g. the RazoRock HAWK - used the way the head's shape indicates, the shave is likely to be a very good one.

The razor costs 2.18 EUR, but the shipping to Finland costs 21.39 EUR. I would have bought this razor if the shipping would have been more reasonable.

Is it possible to buy it from any cheaper source? Or if anyone shopping from this site would be able to add an extra razor to their order and ship it to a reasonable price, I am interested.

Hi everyone,

this one arrived last Monday:

View attachment 764633
View attachment 764634 View attachment 764635 View attachment 764636

I found it while looking to buy a larger batch of Barbus Shave Soap. For its price (less than 2.50 €), I had thought there'd be little to lose, especially since I found the head design quite intriguing, resembling a Neilite, while being much more accessible and affordable.

I ordered a bunch of other shaving supplies while there, and while I'm actually happy with all of those I tried, this is one of the two favourites of the batch so far.

As expected, the razor is really lightweight, made of some sort of plastic. The package isn't terribly specific about this, only mentions PP (polypropylene) and PAP (paper) on the recycling labels, but it's possible that the PP is just the thin sheet that holds the razor and the paper card wrapped together.
The finish isn't the best, but pretty good, especially considering the price, with no major issues, just slight imperfections here and there.

Despite its weight, it feels good in the hand because, while the handle feels smooth, its shape helps prevent the razor from slipping and allows for a pretty good grip.
Blade alignment is a non-issue, absolutely spot on and secure.

I have only shaved with it twice so far, but both shaves have been pretty consistent, so I thought I'd post this now and update later as needed.

During both shaves, I used Dr. Bronner's Shaving Soap (which, BTW., I found only usable when minimising the amount of water used as much as possible, but it makes me use too much of it).

During both, I had been in a bit of a rush, but despite that, I managed two passes and ended up with very satisfactory shaves with an Astra SP blade.
The first one was WTG and ATG, ending very near a BBS result.
The second one was WTG and XTG, ending with a CCS, despite the irritation a different cheap razor gave me after the first shave with this one (didn't hold the blade securely enough, it it was jittery).

The razor is about medium aggressive (I can feel a the blade), but it's also very efficient. I would say the blade feel is just enough to let me know how and where I'm dragging the razor. I would say the razor is efficient enough that a single pass, even WTG, looks quite socially acceptable, one XTG is definitely so.
The blade gap doesn't seem like much, but the teeth more than make up for it. I had no issues with clogging at all, despite the soap being super-thick.
Applying no pressure is crucial, although, due to the weight of the razor, it's not always easy. Despite that, I have experienced no discomfort while using it, except when applying an alcohol based aftershave where I had previously irritated my skin with the other cheap razor. Looks like I'll have to take a bit of a shaving break for a few days until that heals properly.

Compared to most other cheap razors I have tried so far, it beats most of them and is about on par with the Acevivi dual comb razor in terms of efficiency, perhaps even a little better.

I'm still hoping to grab a Neilite for comparison's sake and maybe the Merkur 45 later this year.
However, I'm very happy with this one and might even grab a few spares. If I wouldn't manage to get my hands on a Neilite or the Merkur, I wouldn't feel too bad about it now that I have this one.
Having said that, should anyone like to send me theirs for a week to compare these, I wouldn't mind at all. ;-)

The website I bought it from says it's a Czech product, but the bar code suggests it's actually made in Slovakia (beings with 858). That might be just where it's wrapped, though, even if it doesn't make much sense considering the price.

I got mine here:
Alfa Klasický holící oboustranný strojek s žiletkami Astra 5 kusů
Thanks for the info on this razor. Are there metal threads on the inside of the handle? Also, how is the Barbus? I've had some Czech aftershaves before. They were very good, solid products without the over-manufactured, over dyed, chemical scent that plague what can be found on drugstore shelves in the USA.

The profile shot of the razor, the top cap resembles the Walbusch slant. The teeth resemble the Darwin. Again, nice discovery & thanks for the info/posting.

The razor costs 2.18 EUR, but the shipping to Finland costs 21.39 EUR. I would have bought this razor if the shipping would have been more reasonable.

Is it possible to buy it from any cheaper source? Or if anyone shopping from this site would be able to add an extra razor to their order and ship it to a reasonable price, I am interested.

Unfortunately, since my rather large batch only arrived last week, it's probably going to be at least half a year before I'd be ordering again. And that's due to shipping costs as well, too.
Perhaps you could find someone else from Finland for a group buy and buy a few soaps and aftershaves as well as fillers?

I have to give the store props that while shipping costs were/are fairly high, they weren't skimpy on packaging and wrapped everything in the box in loads of bubble foil. Most bottles were glass and everything survived international mail handling. It was my first purchase from them but I'm pretty happy about their service.

Thanks for the info on this razor. Are there metal threads on the inside of the handle?...

Yep, the thread is inset about 1mm or so in the handle and black, so it's pretty difficult to tell. I tried using a microscope on it, but the one I have it only a pocket one and does 60x - 120x. I think I'd need something in the 10x - 40x range for this.

Anyway, here's a crop of a photo I took earlier (apologies for the micro-lint and tiny dust bunnies):
DSC_8344_close-up.jpg

It's difficult to tell whether it's plastic or painted metal and the packaging doesn't say, unfortunately. Screwing it in feels really smooth, though.

...Also, how is the Barbus? I've had some Czech aftershaves before. They were very good, solid products without the over-manufactured, over dyed, chemical scent that plague what can be found on drugstore shelves in the USA.

The profile shot of the razor, the top cap resembles the Walbusch slant. The teeth resemble the Darwin. Again, nice discovery & thanks for the info/posting.

Thanks. :)

I find Barbus (soap/croap) to be excellent for me. Post shave could be better, but a bit of witch hazel and I'm good. And that's only negative I found about it. It's a firm croap, really, but I find that beneficial - I scoop out half a teaspoon, plop it into my bowl and, using just just leftover moisure on my synthetic (water gently squeezed out, 26mm Sterling, non-Kong, so a little stubby or a Omega "S-Brush" S10019 Synthetic), I can whip up enough lather for two passes and the odd touch up. a flat teaspoon and it's good for 3-4 passes of a rather dense layer of nice, somewhat masculine, fairly lightly smelling soap. There's plenty of glide as well.

Due to a similar looking blade bend in the head, I have been eyeing a Rotbart CC DE safety razor on eBay and it slipped my grubby fingers today by about 2 minutes... and it seemed mint (or nearly so). Graaah!
So I bought a Philite instead for a bit more than a third of the price of the Rotbart as consolation. ;-)

The teeth on the Alfa make clogging a non issue and I'm thinking the Philite is likely to be similar there (even if it's a somewhat different design).

The Walbusch slant looks yummy, but probably costs a pair of kidneys these days. The Darwin too.

PaulHFilms has a few videos featuring the Barbus soap on YouTube:
PaulHFilms

Thanks for all the info. Neillite razors tend to show up more on ebay uk although they also show up on ebay US as they released a model for the US markets (price seems to have dropped when they show up these days.) All Rotbarts I've tried have been good, durable shavers. The only one I've not tried is the white bakelite version. Most on ebay seem to come from Eastern Europe.

The Merkur 45 is a good razor with a few complaints about durability - main complaint being that there is no metal insert in the handle. The Italian Barber/RazoRock Baby Smooth has been re-released and is an all aluminum improved version of the 45.

If you like plasticy, bakelite razors the Fine Accoutrements slant is really good, and there is also the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Fasan type razor - which, if you're non-USA is available from Gifts & Care.

Likewise, thanks for the information. :)

I found one Neilite 400 on Etsy, but the shipping from the US is a bit too high and I'm not sure it would survive an overseas journey (I'm in London, UK), so I've set up a few watches on eBay and will wait one out.

I have found a Rotbart clone from the 70s or so, but I think I'll hold off on most closed comb razors, unless they have teeth like the Alfa, Philite, Neilite or Eclipse Red Ring (scored one just recently).
The PAA Prismatic looks really good, though. Scalloped head and safety bar for an effect similar to what the above and open combs can achieve... reportedly very efficient too.
I was sorely tempted by the PAA Evolution Aluminus, but I have recently acquired a few no-name vintage razors that beat the 2013 R41 in aggressiveness, and even efficiency, and all of them combined cost me less than the Aluminus, that I don't feel like grabbing one should they release them again. Still, the head design... I wish they would release the Aluminus using the same materials as the old PAA DOC, so there would be a mild and aggressive option for about the same price. I'd almost certainly grab one. :)

I have been tempted by the Fine Superlite slant a couple of times now, but it looks sooo similar to the Maggard slant that I have that I'm not sure it's worth it.
Besides, when I shim my PAA bakelite open comb slant, it shaves really, really well.

The Baby Smooth looks like it could be a good present for my dad, though. How does it compare with the FaTip Testina Gentile, if you've had the chance to try them both?

Last edited:
The Baby Smooth is a little milder and lighter weight yet still as efficient as the FaTip gentile and the BS's tolerances (blade fit/wiggle) are better/tighter. The Merkur 45, FaTip gentile, BS are all similar shavers - the greatest difference is the materials they are made from and their corresponding weight.

The Fine slant is way different than the Maggard. The tolerances on the Maggard are spotty and the Fine is a milder shave. If you're thinking of getting one, I highly advise doing it. Fine has stopped making them in plastic because he's looking into aluminum. So I think whatever is out there with vendors are the last of them. recently, I've read a very few complaints about the paint coming off but have had zero problems with mine.

Hello there,
I know my post is a little bit outdate, but just for completing information... and because nothing is better than buying "man-ware" whith a story included... :] Anyway, forgive my not-so-elegant english...

This Alfa Double Razor comes from Czech Republic, its produced by Alfa s.r.o ("s.r.o" means "limited", most common form of companies in czech business ) - small company whith paper bags and packaging as main production.
But history of this razor is much much longer..

Originally, it comes from late 1930' in Germany, as a part of "bakelite rising" era. Bakelite was the first massive produced plastic material and with a specific colour and texture, it defined one era of functional design. Because the razor from this material was a cheap and easy to made, perfect for a mass production, it was designed and produced as a part of equipment for armed forces of Nazi Germany of these days, The Wehrmacht.

During the WWII, Czech republic was protectorate of Nazi Germany (form of occupation) and of course czech sources and factories was massively involved in german war industry. Well, somehow it happend that after end WWII, germans left here the running factory and technology for bakelite production, with this Double Razor included..
After communist takeover in 1948, when all industry and private property was expropriated and nationalized, the production continued till.. Im not sure, but latest "old time" razors in original packaging which I found in antiques and on flea markets was from late 70', mid 80'...

Last part of this razor history is present.. What I heard, the producer of this razor, Alfa limited is a transformed state enterprise from communist era and part of their heritage assets was a bakelite injecting machine with this razor form. So , at cerntain point of their history, they restored the production of this razor.

Anyway, this production of bakelite razor was not unique.. There were many many producers of bakelite and plastic razors in this area (central europe), most of them from Germany. Like Rotbart (acquired by Gillette lately), legendary Fasan and of course, big player Merkur. But im not sure if any of them produced the same design like this Alfa, which give you chance to shave with same razor type like a Nazi army soldier, 70 years ago...
Lately, I attached some photos...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hello there,
I know my post is a little bit outdate, but just for completing information... and because nothing is better than buying "man-ware" whith a story included... :] Anyway, forgive my not-so-elegant english...

This Alfa Double Razor comes from Czech Republic, its produced by Alfa s.r.o ("s.r.o" means "limited", most common form of companies in czech business ) - small company whith paper bags and packaging as main production.
But history of this razor is much much longer..

Originally, it comes from late 1930' in Germany, as a part of "bakelite rising" era. Bakelite was the first massive produced plastic material and with a specific colour and texture, it defined one era of functional design. Because the razor from this material was a cheap and easy to made, perfect for a mass production, it was designed and produced as a part of equipment for armed forces of Nazi Germany of these days, The Wehrmacht.

During the WWII, Czech republic was protectorate of Nazi Germany (form of occupation) and of course czech sources and factories was massively involved in german war industry. Well, somehow it happend that after end WWII, germans left here the running factory and technology for bakelite production, with this Double Razor included..
After communist takeover in 1948, when all industry and private property was expropriated and nationalized, the production continued till.. Im not sure, but latest "old time" razors in original packaging which I found in antiques and on flea markets was from late 70', mid 80'...

Last part of this razor history is present.. What I heard, the producer of this razor, Alfa limited is a transformed state enterprise from communist era and part of their heritage assets was a bakelite injecting machine with this razor form. So , at cerntain point of their history, they restored the production of this razor.

Anyway, this production of bakelite razor was not unique.. There were many many producers of bakelite and plastic razors in this area (central europe), most of them from Germany. Like Rotbart (acquired by Gillette lately), legendary Fasan and of course, big player Merkur. But im not sure if any of them produced the same design like this Alfa, which give you chance to shave with same razor type like a Nazi army soldier, 70 years ago...
Lately, I attached some photos...
THANK you so much for the additional information my friend!

Top Bottom