What's new

Aldi (prince) shave soap (Australia)

I saw and bought a bar of this on spec today. Looked it up and barely found anything about it. One very negative review.

Prince, Rumple and Pyne, For Men, Lather Up, Shave Soap. $4 200 gram.

Given this negative review I really didn't want to trust it but decided to face lather it as an experiment. If nothing else it would soften up my beard a bit. It is slightly softer than arko and lathers easily.

given this much better experience than the review predicted I used it for a single with the grain pass with no real issue. Proceeded to my regular (currently derby) soap for the balance of the shave and it was fine.

Has anyone else used this and gotten positive or negative experiences?

Legion

Staff member
Nope. I one time bought an Aldi badger brush, and the knot fell out of the handle during the first use. I might try the soap if it is there when I next visit.

I had a look for this in Aldi today but couldn't find it - was it a regular stocked item or one of their special buys in the middle aisle?

I had a look for this in Aldi today but couldn't find it - was it a regular stocked item or one of their special buys in the middle aisle?

Special buys section mixed in with exfoliating soap of the same brand and size. Next to the white and brown tubes of 'SHAVE' cream. Whatever brand that is.

Coming from Aldi, I certainly wouldn't have high expectations for it.

of course not. But it exceeded the expectations I had. I would be willing to properly shave with it to try it out but I am mid a bunch of blade tests and need to remove all my variables.

As face lathering goes it pretty much went on and lathered at approximately the same rate as arko. There was enough slickness and cushion for at least the one pass, I know I wouldn't have been able to manage that just with regular hand soap for example.

Based on the softness I think I would go through it a lot faster than arko. Even though it is bigger than 2 sticks worth.

To show just how low my expectations were. I proceeded to buy a tub of Proraso on the same shopping trip. I wanted to have another known soap to compare at a future date as the only 'known' soaps I have ever used are arko and derby (and Nivea and Palmolive creams).

Special buys section mixed in with exfoliating soap of the same brand and size. Next to the white and brown tubes of 'SHAVE' cream. Whatever brand that is.
Ahhh! IIRC that was from a sale a couple of months back. I don't think my local store had much stock in originally and I haven't been able to find it since. They did have a ton of the "SHAVE" cream, but Woolies stocks that all the time...

Ahhh! IIRC that was from a sale a couple of months back. I don't think my local store had much stock in originally and I haven't been able to find it since. They did have a ton of the "SHAVE" cream, but Woolies stocks that all the time...

Maybe they stagger the sales by state. This was in Blacktown NSW.

Maybe they stagger the sales by state. This was in Blacktown NSW.
AFAIK they offer the same specials country-wide (apart from the liquor, which is restricted in some states). Typically after a "special buys" sale, any leftover stock remains in the bins for a few weeks then gets re-shelved out back. From time to time individual stores will trot out some leftovers to try to shift the extra stock.

I made the mistake of buying a couple of tubes, found it particularly hard to get a lather and the performance was less than substantial.

I made the mistake of buying a couple of tubes, found it particularly hard to get a lather and the performance was less than substantial.

Tubes? This is a rectangular grey bar of soap. If you are talking about the brown and white 'Shave' cream then I agree.

Top Bottom