What's new

Alden v. Mephisto

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I am looking to purchase an everyday, casual, knock-about shoe. I keep coming back to these two. The All-Weather Walker by Alden and the Marlon by Mephisto. If any of you badgers has had experience with either shoe, I’d appreciate your comments.

I own shoes by both companies so I am familiar with their sizing. The Marlon is about $150 less than the Alden but the Alden seems a bit more substantial. I like the pebble-grain finish on both.

The Marlon by Mephisto.
C21C5262-ECBB-4B19-BA75-63FA06CF5A16.jpeg

The All-Weather Walker by Alden
C599A095-4B3A-4C3F-A39F-376CA11BFC91.jpeg

What say you?

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I haven't tried on either one of those particular shoes, but I warn all that you can have my other Mephistos when you pry them from my cold, dead feet.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I haven't tried on either one of those particular shoes, but I warn all that you can have my other Mephistos when you pry them from my cold, dead feet.
The right to bare arms and covered feet?

Are the Mephisto $400 at retail? When I checked not that many years ago when I first read about them I thought they were sub $300, closer to $200. I do not own either brand but I find the very visible Mephisto tag on a $400 pair of shoes to be almost unforgivable....otherwise they could be worn in dressy situations (depending on your sensibility about the situation of course).

Edit: On further reading I believe I what I was remembering as the barely $200+ shoe was the Mephisto MATCH or a similar "sneaker" styled shoe. Now it is priced at around $375.

No experience with either of these specific shoes. Based purely on appearance, I prefer the Mephistos. I always prefer pebble grain in a dark color. Both top shelf brands, durable and comfortable So hard to go wrong with either one.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Joel, one of the owners of B&B once recommended I buy Mephisto shoes. I never did (but I’m a hair away from pulling the trigger). Do it

I have a pair of the brown Mephisto shoes. These have proven very comfortable during a lot of travel! :a14:

Here is why I would suggest Alden. If you find both just as comfortable, the Alden shoes should last a very long time if they are taken care of properly. Moreover, for just over $100 you can send the Alden shoes back to Alden, they will refurbish them and fit the in with new soles and do it all in the last’s they originally made them on

I’ve never had an issue with Alden shoes. I love them

Mephistos are the only shoes I wear these days. (And White's are the only boots I wear anymore.)

I've had two pair of my Mephistos "refurbished," and they both came back looking virtually new. I believe the refurbishment cost was about $100 per pair. I've owned them each about 15 years.

My only reply is to question whether you would wear these when traveling by plane. I am over 65 (somewhat) and am TSA Pre. My Aldens, cordovan wingtips, have steel shanks. This puts me back in the position of having to remove my shoes when going through security. If these Aldens have steel shanks and the Mephistos don't my recommendation would immediately go to the Mephistos. YMMV

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The Mephisto comes in one width, the Alden has 5 or 6. So logic would dictate that the Alden has a much better chance for a great fit. I suppose you could get lucky, but that would be a rather large determining factor for me.

Are the Mephisto $400 at retail? When I checked not that many years ago when I first read about them I thought they were sub $300, closer to $200. I do not own either brand but I find the very visible Mephisto tag on a $400 pair of shoes to be almost unforgivable....otherwise they could be worn in dressy situations (depending on your sensibility about the situation of course).

Edit: On further reading I believe I what I was remembering as the barely $200+ shoe was the Mephisto MATCH or a similar "sneaker" styled shoe. Now it is priced at around $375.
I have to agree on the visible brand tag. Just tacky. Pass, there are other comfortable shoes.

So what did you end up with, johnniegold?

I was thinking about this. I had a pair of Rockports of similar design. I am talking way vintage at this point, and the quality was not bad, although certainly not up to Alden and I assume Mephisto standards. I think Rockport quality has probably gone way down since then, although I have not had anything from that brand for a very long timer

In any event, I did not end up wearing them much. Over time I just did not love the look. They were comfy and provided a lot of support if I was, for instance, taking a long walk or even hiking in them. I liked the water resistance. I eventually gave them away to charity.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Thanks for all the replies. My inclination is to go with the Alden All-Weather Walker. They are a bit pricey at $500+ but I am on The Shoe Mart mailing list for Alden Factory Seconds where they come from Alden and may have slight blemishes that don’t necessarily pass through Alden’s QC but may not be readily noticeable to a less-discerning eye. I received a list yesterday and although they had some listed, my size was not available.

in light of the fact that they will be used as a weekend knockabout shoe, “perfection” is not a necessity and if I can get a pair for around $399 (less than the price of the Mephisto Marlon) it will be worth the wait.

and hey... half the fun is the hunt. :yesnod:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
may have slight blemishes that don’t necessarily pass through Alden’s QC but may not be readily noticeable to a less-discerning eye.

Oddly, I'm reminded of this old Simpsons bit ...

But I think you are quite right to opt for the shoes with the slight cosmetic blemish that is essentially going to pass unnoticed.

Top Bottom