What's new

Alcohol Method for Knot Removal

Gentlemen, I tested this method many vintage brushes and voila! It really works to remove old knots very easily. I actually use lemon cologne which contains 80 degrees of alcohol.(I am not sure maybe %80 alcohol)

Here is the process step by step.

1) Cut the bristles gently.
2) Infuse the cologne into the knot.
3) Wait for drying the cologne several hours or a night.
4) Use a screwdriver to loose the bristles.
5) If the knot is not loosen turn back to Step 2.
6) Pull the bristles with your pliers(before that step cover the knot ring with plaster.)

I prefer this method on my catalin handles which are very sensitive for drilling if you are not experienced on it. I hope this method will ease your restores. Have a nice day.

You know, I was just trying to figure out a way to introduce some kind of solvent into the knot to loosen the glue without damaging the handle. This just might work!

When you say infuse the bristles with cologne, what exactly do you mean? Pour the alcohol on, dip/soak, some other method I can't think of at the moment?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Denatured alcohol melted the surface of my red/white everready ao be careful.

When you say infuse the bristles with cologne, what exactly do you mean? Pour the alcohol on, dip/soak, some other method I can't think of at the moment?

Pour the cologne on the bristles. I am using this method on catalin/butterscotch handles but I have never used this method rubber or plastic handles.

I prefer using cologne not denatured alcohol which smells bad also.

Top Bottom