What's new

Alcohol based aftershaves...

Does anyone here ever use alcohol based aftershaves? I know that alcohol is the worst thing for your face after a close shave. I avoid them and never buy them. However, I have been given certain gifts - in the past couple of years - in the form of alcohol based aftershaves from my some of my favourite fragrances. While I would NEVER wear them on a daily basis, I do once in a while wear them. I can't just NEVER wear them. While I do love these scents I do recognize them as being bad for my skin. Does occaionaly use do any harm, I wonder?
Anyone else in this same prediciment?

Hi Christoph, welcome to B&B.

You could treat tne aftershaves like Colognes or EDTs although aftershaves generally lack staying power. If you go through the usual shaving motions and use a cooling AS Balm you can then aply the aftershave on your neck, chest and behind your ears, at least you'll get to use them this way.

Christoph said:
I know that alcohol is the worst thing for your face after a close shave. I avoid them and never buy them.

And if you know that only from TV, you should try some. No mater what composition is, aftershave should not burn after good shave.

Hi Christoph,

I use only in the cold times (autumn & winter) after shave balm, in the warmer time of the year, I prefer alcohol based after shaves like Swiss Pitralon (contains also Urea and more care giving ingredients) and I never had dry skin after use...:001_smile

Hope that helps.

Best regards from Germany

Thomas

I think people have a knee-jerk reaction to hate aftershaves with alcohol. The reality is that there are many good ones out there that have some beneficial stuff for your skin. Are they as moisturizing or as gentle as a thick balm? Of course not. Should you avoid them like the plague? Not at all. I have many of them that I enjoy. The best ones don't burn that bad and have some goodies for your skin. Some examples are Musgo Real and the various Trumper and Taylor offerings, as well as the wonderful Eau des Bergers from L'Occitane.

If you want to try a nice combination in summer, an alcohol-based preparation plus some skin food after is a perfect post-shave treatment (if your skin can tolerate it).

Find out what works for you and you'll be fine.

my routine:
alcohol based aftershave immediately after shaving and a cold water splash
followed up by Nivea sensitive aftershave balm about 10 minutes later... this works great for me.

Drew

I've read somewhere that alcohol in aftershaves restores the ph of your skin. Anybody know if this is true?

I have, use, and love alcohol based a/s splashes. Not only are they easiest to apply, leave a great scent to enjoy for 30-40 minutes (sometimes a little longer) feel invigorating, and thwart razor burn faster than any other aftershaving preperation, but they also fight ingrown hairs. Dunno why, dunno how - as I tend to not care about the "method" as much as the end result, but I have heard literally dozens of times guys thwarting in grown hairs by using an alcohol based splash daily, and I have tried it myself and noticed it works quite well for me when used daily for about a week.

If you get the right a/s splash - they are more moisturizing than you'd think.... try Musgo Real A/S Splash, not only does it impart a bit of moisture, but it smells out of this world amazing!

I would prefer an A/S Splash with a VERY neutral fragrance.....so as not to interfere with the Colognes I use......any suggestions?

Regards
Brian

madmedic said:
I would prefer an A/S Splash with a VERY neutral fragrance.....so as not to interfere with the Colognes I use......any suggestions?

Regards
Brian

Brian,
Proraso a/s splash has a "scent" to it, but it is VERY light, and at least on me, fades in a matter of minutes. Proraso splash is also decent stuff, and it is mighty inexpensive - it would be a superb splash to get you started :cool:

Think I can get some of that......I did use some in the past....but that was only with other Proraso products. If I recall correctly it smells a little "medicinal" !!

Brian

I have some Trumper West Indian Limes aftershave splash on the way, and from what I heard the scent lasts all of 10 minutes. I'll re-post once I get a chance to try it.

Jordan

jdavis54 said:
I have some Trumper West Indian Limes aftershave splash on the way, and from what I heard the scent lasts all of 10 minutes. I'll re-post once I get a chance to try it.

Jordan

Yes, that's true. The Cologne lasts a bit longer though.

madmedic said:

Regards
Brian

I just tried the Trumper West Indian Limes, and while it's fairly strong for the first 10 minutes, it fades to practically nothing very quickly. This could be a good choice if you want something without too much scent.

Jordan

I'll vouch for the Proraso - also, Addidas has a new line out that is actually pretty good for the price (even cheaper than Proraso) and some of their scents are pretty light and fast fading.

As with the Proraso, the Addidas has some witch hazel in it, which I like and helps with razor burn.

I enjoy the alcohol based splashes and use them daily.

I agree, the alcohol based aftershaves are a favorite of mine. I especially like the Dominica Bay Rum line. Very good on the skin.

Chris

I too favor alcohol-based after shave splashes with my regular being Proraso. I find it tightens up the skin. In drier months or climates I usually follow up with a moisturizer like Proraso cream or CARs. I then top it off with skin food or Aloe80 to lock it in. More humid months or climates I usually leave out the last two steps.

EL Alamein said:
I agree, the alcohol based aftershaves are a favorite of mine. I especially like the Dominica Bay Rum line. Very good on the skin.

Chris

I agree. This aftershave is quickly becoming one of my favorites, primarily due to it's soothing properties. It has 55% alcohol, which to me sounds like a lot. However, the stuff is quite soothing, and the scent is refreshing, but fleeting. Often times I'd rather not smell of strong cologne/aftershave. Given it's subtle scent, you can really load up on the stuff, and not worry about it being overpowering.

Drew

Top Bottom