What's new

Alas and curses! I have discovered shave oil. Goodbye brushes and endless soap assortment?

I have been using shave oil (Shave Secret) for a while as a base to lather on. Works well and a tiny bit remains to keep the soap from drying out my skin. 2 weeks ago I tried it as promoted: Alone. Egad! Since then I haven't touched any soap or brushes. The oil alone gives a superbly comfortable shave, leaves my skin conditioned, and the wife loves the scent. A bonus is that even razors with blade feel are tamed and feel smooth, notable my Janus LE. Amazingly different shave with that one and oil.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
king of-shaves alpha oil shaving oil. I also used Morgan’s beard oil, works well

No brush, no soap - blasphemous :scared:

As long it works well for you - why not !
LOL 😂

If there is one thing I've learned, it is that just because some people THINK something works, doesn't mean it actually DOES work (better).

Tomorrow, you'll have some dude claim how he had a "great shave" with motor oil... or toothpaste... or Pesto sauce, cause you know Pesto has Olive Oil and herbs and it's good for your skin....

LOL 😂

If there is one thing I've learned, it is that just because some people THINK something works, doesn't mean it actually DOES work (better).

Tomorrow, you'll have some dude claim how he had a "great shave" with motor oil... or toothpaste... or Pesto sauce, cause you know Pesto has Olive Oil and herbs and it's good for your skin....

He showed anything is possible on instructables !!
F5UJPX4ICPP2PXR.gif

LOL 😂

Oh, yes!
Pesto Shave!
Yum!
And after shaving; pesto toast, kippers and eggs.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
I'm not a dermatologist but I play one on TV.
I wonder about the long term for the shave oil alone on the skin.
Anyone have an idea?

I’ve wondered this a lot as well. My preshave oil is fantastic and a must have for me. Maybe when I’m sick of using soap and cream I’ll buy an oil. All the expensive soaps are just chock full of them anyway. Any issues with oil scum, clogging or breaking out?

I have tried oil several times, mostly olive but also "shaving" and every time the shave felt like with an Astra blade after being used for cutting plywood. Also, with oil water alone is not enough to wash it off. How often do you shave? Do you have a sparse beard?

I’ve wondered this a lot as well. My preshave oil is fantastic and a must have for me. Maybe when I’m sick of using soap and cream I’ll buy an oil. All the expensive soaps are just chock full of them anyway. Any issues with oil scum, clogging or breaking out?
Not really any issues for most people if you use the oil properly. You only need a few drops, say 4-6 drops. You apply this to wet palms and mix, then massage into a wet face. You are shaving mainly with water, the oil is there to increase slickness and prevent irritation. Rinse off and wipe the skin dry with a towel. You may want to wipe down the razor and sink with a paper towel, but you are not using a lot of oil.

This oil is a mix, I think, of olive oil, castor oil, grapeseed oil and apricot kernel oil, plus some essential oils for fragrance. Perhaps a slightly different formula, but similar. It would be good to test and see if you have any skin sensitivity to the ingredients before using it for shaving.

Top Bottom