What's new

Alas and curses! I have discovered shave oil. Goodbye brushes and endless soap assortment?

It is often hard to get oil all the way off, requiring lots of hot water and soap. If I had to choose between having an oily neck or a full beard, I might turn to laser hair removal. Thankfully I have less offputting choices, like MdC or PdP.

MdC is WAY more economical to use per shave than anything like Shave Secret.

6BA04FEE-5052-4EAC-9681-704D408590F6.gif

All I do, and it works for me, is use 6 drops in one palm, rub my hands together and apply it to my freshly washed, rinsed, & dried face. Rub it in good on both sides and neck. Splash as much water on my face as will stay on there and then shave. Never apply more oil, but splash water on before each pass. Using 6 drops doesn't feel like any oil is gong on your face, but there is and it's enough for three passes. I tried shaving cream on top of it once and I thought the oil cut the lather and it didn't help. I use this procedure whether I'm wet DE shaving, injector shaving, or Panasonic ARC5 electric shaving. I find it makes my skin slick and for the electric, the foil never gets warm.

Thought I would come back in and report how my journey with shaving oil has progressed.

I haven't used lather except for one time after I started this thread. That one time was enough to push me back to oil. Lather shaves just aren't as close, comfortable, or efficient. I could feel the difference immediately one day after using oil alone. The remnants can be washed off but I leave it on. There is no comparison. No matter how fine the soap, how wonderful the technique to lather it up, nothing beats 6 drops of Shave Secret massaged into my beard and splashes of water to create the most awesome oil/water layered frictionless interface between skin and blade.

Shave Secret is the absolute best product I have tried. So cheap it seems too cheap. A tiny bottle will last months if you shave often and it only costs $2.50.

Admittedly I have to use warm water to rinse out little globs of oil and beard every few strokes but it's no big deal. Oil keeps the blade sharp longer by keeping water off the edge. The shave is sublimely smooth. It is a totally different feel than with soap. It feels like the blade never touches my skin. Even harsh razors are tamed and feel less edgy.

I thought I would be switching back and forth but all the wonderful shaving soaps I have will probably stay stored away forever. Not to mention many nice vintage shaving brushes. A bit sad but my bugout bag has more room for essentials now.

Mobile One 5 - 30. If it's good enough for my 70 thousand dollar car, allowing my engine to run up the overland speed to 170mph+ it's good enough for my face!
Just in case you are being serious: Frequent and prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause dermatitis and other skin disorders, including skin cancer, so be sure to use fresh out of the jug. :)

Mobile-1 is a Synthetic oil: They are considered harmless and contain no carcinogens.

ps. Please post a video of the experience. It could go viral.

Last edited:
I use 3 or 4 drops of oil in my wet palm. Rub my beard well and shave with a cart when I’ve travelled. (It’s been awhile thank you COVID). It has done well enough for me.

It works for a daily beard, but I have never managed 3-days growth. It seems OTS shaving oils are better compared to plain oils (I have tried oil, sunflower and almond). How often do you guys shave? Do you use hot water?

I've just watched this product demo on their website

Conclusion: Total B/S. Me, sticking to lather for my shaves. WTH.
My findings are totally in line with this video. When used properly, nothing even approaches it for a smooth irritation-free shave, and it also works great with an electric shaver designed for wet shaving. I've tried some other brands, but none seem to work as well nor have as pleasant a scent as Shave Secret...and it's cheap!

It works for a daily beard, but I have never managed 3-days growth. It seems OTS shaving oils are better compared to plain oils (I have tried oil, sunflower and almond). How often do you guys shave? Do you use hot water?
I typically wait 3 days between shaves and it works perfectly for me although I have to rinse out with warm water every few strokes. For me the oil shave outweighs lather because I can feel the blade with lather but not with oil. Lather feels more slick but that doesn't seem to translate into comfort.

OK I tried oil again, this time
  1. Once with a hot towel. This was the first time I managed to shave off a 3-day-beard, but it was still not as comfortable as my typical cold shave with a soap. Slower and messier too.
  2. I tried shaving in the shower, one part of the face without any lubricant and another with the oil. Thanks to @OkieStubble for the idea. Result: the part of the face without oil felt rough after the shave, but it was overall much easier to shave than with the towel. I was surprised that I can get a close shave without a mirror.
Verdict: I was in the search of a quicker method to shave. I found a plan B instead when I cannot afford the time to shave in the morning - just shave the prior evening in the shower.

Never used shave secret but sometimes I still use floid shaving oil (cloves in there).
I tended to use shave oil when I shaved with oneblade core under the shower to squeeze a day extra from the blade or do a last pass oil only to get extra close.
it did work definitely a very nice glide.
now I still have a small bottle in my travel kit for when you need a solution.
Drawbacks?
Oil on your wet hands and handle is not a nice thing with a smooth razor handle.
oil in the sink is messy to clean (make sure to have some liquid dish washer detergent at hand).
Nowadays I rarely use the core and I have plenty of nice smelling pre shave soaps. But from time to time when I had a rougher shave I do massage a couple of drops in.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've tried shave oil and the experience is akin to my days of shaving with a cart and a can of goo.
Joyless and utilitarian.
I enjoy the process, not the end result.
You can make a 100 mile trip on a moped or in a limo. You'll wind up at your destination all the same, but the journey is vastly different.

I enjoy the process, not the end result.
I enjoy BOTH 😎

When I think about it logically, the end result couldn't be great without having a truly great process, to arrive to that end result.

GREAT face-prep
GREAT soap/cream >>> lather
GREAT razor/blade >>> technique

Inevitably, this leads to a great shave, that is the "end result" and man, do I enjoy every step of that process, day by day! 😊

Whiskers need to absorb moisture to soften. Oil repels moisture? Perhaps your whiskers are more akin to womens 'peach fuzz' (ie very soft) ?

I have used shave secret just as their directions say. Yes it works, but no way as slick as my Col Conk shaving soap . Also rinsing the razor is harder . Works good in the winter as an after shave, prevents dry skin.

Top Bottom