What's new

Al Raz's The Bomb shaving cream

I have only had samples, but one of the finest artisan products I have tried! Lather is great, thick, and rich.

I just went to his site to check out scents.

He may make good creams, but his scent descriptions are completely worthless. :lol:

What does this mean?

Calypso can be described as cool, refreshing, bracing. There is also a warm, friendly, honest feel to this fragrance and one that is extremely natural. On top of this, there is also, strangely, a shadowy, deep, mysterious, spicy quality. The scent itself may be relatively simple but its impression is complex

Oh, I'd love a warm, friendly, honest and natural scent! Mysterious and spicy is just a bonus!!!

Can someone tell me what these things smell like? Al obviously can't. Thanks!

Lol, the Calypso is a Bay Rum scent, and a rather awesome one. :smile:

I've heard that so much, it makes me want to try it. I use soaps, the only cream I use is TOBS Rose. I don't know why I'm looking to try another cream.

Why not, I guess? :lol:

I'm almost exclusively a soap user. However, I have three creams at my house - two of which are custom scents by Al. One is a vetiver/bay rum/tangerine combination that is wonderful and the other is a lavender/oakmoss blend that is equally good. Al's creams are the best I've tried and the only ones I'm sure to keep around.

I must say his demonstration lather video is pretty impressive.

That's it...getting the sampler. Thanks to the enablers of this thread and the OP for helping me spend my money. Yeah....thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the sampler and i will say, as far as the scents go,,, they are like ac/dc songs. they are all different technically, but you know it when you hear/smell it. calypso is my favorite.

I am sorry that the "operational" description of the scents creates so much confusion. In reality the difficulty of describing scents is due to the way that the sense of smell works. Some of you, especially those that have some form of olfactory training and knowledge of essential oils would prefer that I list the oils in the scent, but that only helps those that have smelled the that particular blend before. I have had many requests to describe the smell of lavender, for instance; so long ago, we switched to something more operational but with some, like Calypso, I may have been a bit carried away. There is a enlarged description of the process here . If you frequent the basenotes directory of fragrances, you may have realized that the many very different scents contain very similar notes, this is the practical consequence of this. I do not know if this is good or bad but many perfume houses or even manufacturers of the best shaving products do not list the oils in their scents and people buy them without problems. :wink2:

There is a good thread with information about the scents. And just for the record, the best way to find out about any of my products is by asking me directly :001_rolle. As some have said, I am not so bad to deal with. You can use the contact form in our website of my Bomb posts on B&B. To answer the question about Calypso: YES! Calypso is a traditional bay rum scent, very similar to Royall Bay Rhum but stronger.

As for not being very active, I really had a very busy couple of months with some health problems, a minor surgery of my son and several job interviews. I am slowly getting back to normal though :blushing: Sorry for the inconvenience.

I hope that this post clears the air on the scent front but if there are more questions, please let me know.

Al raz.

Al, haven't seen you around for a while and wondered what happened. Hope things work out for you.

As for his products I have tried the unscented and the Palermo and found both to be excellent. They are among the best performing shaving creams I have used.

I received some of Al's cream today (custom Rose Lemon that has created much hubbub around here lately). I knew it was arriving today so I waited to shave until my lunch.

WONDERFUL. At first I was a bit concerned because the consistency of the cream... it seemed really loose and I thought I felt a chunk of something while scooping some out with my finger, but forged on anyway. I figured I'm going to be smashing it all rather violently with my brush, it'll be fine. And it was. Great slickness, great cushion, and the scent... If anyone is still hunting for Rose Lemon, I can say that Al hit the scent out of the ballpark. It's a bit more subdued than the bath soap I encountered, but I think that's actually perfect for a shaving cream.

Al sent a few small samples of some other creams, and they smelled great too.

I highly encourage people to give Al's creams a chance. My TOBS Jermyn St is probably going to get sold now as my face feels better than it ever did with a cream.

Al's creams are as great as advertised. I was really impressed with the scents and the first lather. If you like dense, creamy, slick lather it would be difficult to find a better product.

I think he has an amazing product. I don't care for many of the scents except the Calypso. Bay Rum at its finest. The stuff is so moisturizing its unreal. I think its why the consistency is odd and I have to stir mine frequently but no big deal. When I see all of the oils in it I smile. Always back it up with some Captains choice.

I got a sampler back when I first started wet shaving about 9 months ago. They were all fantastic, and Al actually took the time both to ask for and respond to my feedback. I'm just now finishing up the entire range of products I bought to kick-start my software collection, and I'll definitely be placing another order with Al. Calypso and Palermo, probably--amazing scents, great moisturizing.

Al, I wish you the best of luck with your interviews and health issues.

As a newbie DE shaver, I went nuts buying and trying anything and everything, including The Bomb. I've tried some big name brand products as well, and The Bomb is far and away the best performer of all them. I have the Calypso and a custom scent, and they work brilliantly every time. Al is also an absolute pleasure to deal with, knows his stuff and is happy to work with you on your custom project.

Highly recommended, and you will not be disappointed.

i had al make up some cream and balm with a coconut scent. absolutely amazing! the scent is awesome, the cream is insane and the balm is fantastic.

and al's a funny guy, loves a chat over email. excellent customer service and a top shelf product.

GO AL!

I ordered a mega bomb size of the boheme scent, and it's truly excellent stuff. No one on B&B talks about it, so I'm going to assume that most of you either haven't heard of it or just haven't tried it.

For a while there Al Raz's stuff was all the rage and people talked about it all the time. Well respected

Top Bottom