What's new

Airplane Bathroom Scent

It must be Arko! Well, Arko has great performance, but it is not an elegant or sophisticated smell at all. It smells very cheap, which is not necessarily bad for some people, but the rest stay away from it.

To me, Arko smells "Clean, Fresh and Lemony."
It is as close as any product comes to that elusive "Traditional Barbershop Scent" that everyone knows but can't define.

I like it so much that many times I wash my hands and face with it, even on days when I'm not shaving.

It seems like the smell of Arko is almost as polarizing as the smell of the Veg. I really like the way it smells, in fact the fragrance is the primary reason I keep using it. Of course I love the Veg as well so some guys will consider my nose unreliable...

Personally, I think it smells like a classic Ivory soap with a hint of lemon. I don't find it all that bad myself, but that's just me.
Yep. The description I related to the most was "ivory soap on steroids" which isn't that bad ,well may be a little much I had to throw mine out in the garage to air out for a couple weeks. Now it's very tolerable and I like using it periodically.

I personally love the scent of Arko. I find myself sniffing it often. To me, it is a very clean, fresh scent.
I also get some of the best lathers from Arko. I will always have Arko on hand.
For those of you who try it and don't like it... PM me and I will give you my address! :smartass:

The fragrance is indeed controversial, and perception of fragrance can be subjective. Personally, I had spent time in Arko's land of origin and was familiar with the place as having a centuries-long bathhouse tradition and a requisite classic cultural view of what constituted a good mix of visual, olfactory, and performance criteria for personal care products, with special emphasis on the last of the aforementioned three. That is, I expected something a bit different from what one would pick up at the store a couple blocks away but would definitely work.
Love it, like it, indifferent to it, dislike it, or loathe it, the fragrance will waft about when lathered. If you store it in an open mug or bowl, the fragrance will slowly dissipate and not be so strong after a couple days aired out.
I am perfectly ok with the scent, and with the memories it brings of places far away. Since it whips up lather so abundantly and efficiently, it is the product for about 60 percent of my shaves.

Good call on letting it air out for a little while. Now it is not so overwhelmingly strong. In fact, it is not bad at all.

I had my second shave with it. This time I started with a bit more water in my brush and the lather was excellent. It was another great shave.

I can see how some gents are immediately turned off by the scent. I also see how it can become a favorite of those who give it a chance. I find the performance to be quite good.

After the shave I used Trumpers Extracts of Lime Skin Food. I then asked LOTH what she smelled. She said lemon and marshmallows.

Good call on letting it air out for a little while. Now it is not so overwhelmingly strong. In fact, it is not bad at all.

I had my second shave with it. This time I started with a bit more water in my brush and the lather was excellent. It was another great shave.

I can see how some gents are immediately turned off by the scent. I also see how it can become a favorite of those who give it a chance. I find the performance to be quite good.

After the shave I used Trumpers Extracts of Lime Skin Food. I then asked LOTH what she smelled. She said lemon and marshmallows.

There was at least one poster in this forum who described what he did with Arko and fragrant essential oils - somehow mixing the two for Arko performance and the fragrance of a lathering fruit salad. I was glad he was happy with it.
However, again I think back to memories of the sights, smells, and even tastes of Turkey. It was there, the land of Arko, where I learned to appreciate the most basic of personal care products, and the requisite fragrances that were not like those of equivalent western mass-market ones. I also learned an appreciation for shaved and ground lamb in various concoctions like shish kebap, Adana kebap, döner kebap, and köfte.
There is, consequently, an analogy between masking the scent of Arko with fruity or flowery oils, and the western practice of masking the "gamey" taste of lamb with mint sauce. If you've learned to accept and appreciate different things, there is no need to mask anything.

Arko is one of my favorite soaps, and my fiancée loves using it when she shaves. I especially love taking it with me on trips because a stick of it in the twist up container takes almost no space at all in my dopp kit. Paired with my Omega 50014 travel brush and Parker A1R travel razor, it never lets me down!

IMHO I find the scent and performance of Arko far superior to other soaps. The fragrance is super clean and unadulterated by the whims of soap artisans. The lather is thick and has a nice cushioning effect. The price point is ridiculous for the quality of the soap. I am going to stock up on this soap for sure. I have 6 sticks and one puck remaining in my den. I like to rotate Arko among MWF, TOBS, Williams, Cella and La Toja. However, Arko gets most of the love:001_smile

Oh man, you just started a fire!
Arko smells more like oven cleaner mixed with pine sol to me . I really don't mind it, I added a lot to my bunker stash with my 3 years of food and 40 years of ammunition.

Arko does smell awfully strong when you first open the package, but let it sit in the open air for a couple of weeks and it has a very pleasant scent.

For starters, let me say that I enjoy everything about Arko. But I think that there is a missed opportunity regarding the fragrance -- I enjoy the way Arko smells, but if they'd offer the same soap in a few alternate fragrances!?!? Can you imagine sandalwood Arko? How about Bay Rum or patchouli??

Characterizing of Arko's aroma as "airplane bathroom scent" is very good and very funny too. The funniest comparison I remember reading was "cattle car disinfectant". I believe the main olfactory note is citronella -- often used in mosquito candles. Ivory soap certainly is in the same fragrance family, along with Williams Mug Shaving Soap.

I am sure Arko just can't smell something different. You just can't improve perfection. Arko is Arko. Forever.

I tried Arko for the first time yesterday, in a stick, as I'm traveling.

The lather was really thick, amazing from how little I was able to get into my whiskers. I think I had too much soap, actually, because I never could get it very slick, think it needed much more water. So not the best shave ever.

The scent is just as the OP described. I had to focus on the lemon so I didn't think of bathrooms, which made it smell nice. :blink:

Just true.

if we were nominating a soap that smells like "industrial cleaned bathroom," I'd have to say Godrej.
I used to see a lot of rest-rooms in bars and restaurants and retail stores that had a sign that said "Sanitized by Swisher." Everyone of them had the same smell, thanks to the pink liquid that was sprayed on the fixtures on a daily basis.

I got to talking to my favorite bartender one day, and they told me what they paid for the service. It wasn't much, something like $25 a visit, They had him come by once a day, usually right after they closed the doors and the last customer was out. The technician was in and out in about 15 minutes and on to the job next door.

When I did the math, I realized there was a boat-load of money to be made in this industry. Just doing the businesses in one city block would bring in over a quarter-million dollars annually, with very little overhead expenses.

I looked into getting a Swisher franchise, but it didn't pan out. I didn't intend on doing the actual cleaning myself, but I wanted to sell the contracts and then hire a crew to do the actual work.

Another highly lucrative service industry is window-cleaning ... but I found this to be a close-knit business where you needed connections on the inside to get started.

Top Bottom