What's new

Air purifiers?

I have been very fortunate in that my wife is not bothered by the 1/2 dozen to a dozen cigars that I smoke a month, in the house - actually she often likes the smell. At the moment I live in an 80 year old house that is not exactly air tight and is heated by a forced hot air system that is pretty good at moving air through house. Even then, I sometimes pick up on residual cigar odors if I've been out for a day or so. That said, I just bought a new house - 10 years old, super insulated and tightly sealed. Heat is all radiant floors, ac has heavy duty HEPA filtration (the seller's wife was allergic to everything) and there is a air exchanger that moves air through the ducting when the ac is off. I just realized that smoking in the new house may not be such a good idea, as I'm not sure about the ability of the air exchanger to pull the smoke and odors out. If anyone has had experience with any of the standalone room air purifiers that are out there, I'd appreciate your input. Smoking on a porch in the winter, in New England, isn't going to work for me.

There are numerous varieties of houseplants that will purify the air for you. Relatively low maintenance except occasional watering and proper placement to ensure they get the right amount of light.

First thing you want to do is calculate the volume of air you need to clean. That will determine how many plants (or devices) you need to buy, and what sizes.

If you want to go for a mechanical filtration device, there are many to choose from in all ranges of price and quality. Honeywell is a good brand. Look for one with a permanent, cleanable filter so you don't have to get into expensive, and sometimes hard to find replacements.

Look into commercial units, too ... like you might find in restaurants and bars or tobacco stores. You might pick up a good deal on a used one from a place that is remodeling or going out of business.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
What are you smoking? Pipe smoke is much more forgiving than cigars. If you crack open a window and run the HVAC fan to create a positive pressure to remove some of the smoke while you're smoking it will help a lot. A ozone generator will do wonders afterwards, you just want to be able to leave the room and close a door while you run it because breathing in O3 is bad. Once you run it for a while it dissipates quickly the half life of o3 is short.

IMG_2954.JPG

M-40 model. Quiet and highly efficient. Worth every penny and would clean up an individual designated smoking room in a New York minute. Can also be set to time out or simply go to sleep as well.

Top Bottom