What's new

Air guns

Stoeger X20 .177 shooting squirrels and Eurasion Dove. Want to step up to a PCP, probably in 25, just got to get the funds.

A few folks here have a variety of air Guns.

I have two, both older Feinwerkbau's. One a 124 sporter I purchased in 1975, a high power barrel cocker, very accurate. The other is a 300 recoilless match rifle. Both are spring air. You can feel the recoil/jerk in the sporter but it does not affect any practical accuracy. The match rifle is rather unique in that the outer cylinder and barrel ride on slides and are released when the spring is released, so they slide back a very short distance,cancelling out any recoil sensation.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Got a couple, .177 Gamo Bone Collector, .22 PCP Air Arms S510 FX Ultimate Sporter, .177 Beeman P1 magnum pistol.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I also have a Gamo .177 Bone Collector and recently a Gamo Maxxim self loading in .22. I love the .177 in a break barrel piston system design, the .22 Maxxim? Not so much. The .22 in a break barrel piston, doesn't seem to allow the .22 to have the knock down it should have on small varmints where the .177 does alot of internal damage due to it's higher velocities.

I'll probably try my hand at the PCP game sooner or later.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t necessarily have the yard for larger caliber rounds so I was thinking an air gun of sorts just for fun. Haven’t browsed anything yet. Plus there are plenty of Dove around here and I’d really like to try some breast meat.

Got a couple .22. One in .25
All Benjamin's.
The .25 Marauder sees the most work. Primarily for squirrels. Hard to beat a good PCP rifle.

Yes. I have a Crosman 2240 with steel breech and longer cannon for plinking and sillhouettes. And a Benji for doves & stuff...
Fun and affordable guns...
Cheers 2012-07-27 12.18.47.jpg2012-06-09 17.19.55.jpg

I don’t necessarily have the yard for larger caliber rounds so I was thinking an air gun of sorts just for fun. Haven’t browsed anything yet. Plus there are plenty of Dove around here and I’d really like to try some breast meat.

My .177 sporter is louder than a .22 with subsonic ammo.

I've got a 2400KT Crosman for plinking and modded it w/a collapsible stock for the little kids, to make a LOP down around 10" and a Benjamin (Crosman) Hunter, both in .22.

I hunt squirrels with the Benjamin Hunter... and with the TKO moderator on the Hunter, pretty much all you hear when you dispatch a squirrel is a crunchy, wet thump... as it is practically silent. It's taken the place of a .22 LR inside 35 yards… which is about all my eyes are good for shooting small game w/a rifle anyways. Inside 35 yards, the trajectory is within the realm of a squirrels head. Much past that, it's dropping rapidly, but still having the ~12 ft/lbs that's claimed is necessary for a clean kill. I do have CZ .22 LR rifle w/a 24" barrel, that, with CCI quiets is *damn* quiet... quieter than the Hunter w/o the moderator by a long shot. Still, no squirrel shot by the Hunter has even seemed offended that were only shot with a pellet gun. Within the limitations of it's power and range, I find mine can effectively replace needing a .22 LR most of the time. It's stock trigger was pretty poor though and I replaced it with an aftermarket one.

For plinking, dialing down the 2400KT's power adjuster I added to get ~70 shots per CO2 cartridge does good on cans and paper inside 20 yards. It's a little light on power for squirrels for my taste though, even turned up as I still have the stock valve. Plinking at ~400-450 FPS is pretty efficient. Mine tops out just under 600 FPS and is wasting a lot of gas by then... getting maybe 20-25 shots at that level.

Airgunning is a dangerous addition... and I have to resist the urge to impulse buy things constantly. There's a lot of awesome stuff of out in the $150-200 range that are diamonds in the rough that can be really... really outstanding guns. On the PCP front, during a sale day and with a coupon code, I think my Hunter was maybe $160 shipped at the time.

Have a Crosman 760 in .177. Haven't shot it in years. A good, not great, target rifle. Still, wouldn't part with that thing for ten times what I gave for it, which was about $35. Thing has been with me since the late 70's. Need to get it out someday.

Have a Crosman 760 in .177. Haven't shot it in years. A good, not great, target rifle. Still, wouldn't part with that thing for ten times what I gave for it, which was about $35. Thing has been with me since the late 70's. Need to get it out someday.
I grew up with a 66 Powermaster. I’d love it if Crosman would make them again. You can still get a 760 new and have thought about it, since the 66 was internally pretty much a 760 as I understand it, but built a touch bigger. I remember it having a 200 BB reservoir and a little switch to shake 18 BBS down in a little magazine you could see at the top if the receiver. I always thought that was so cool as a kid.

When we were kids, the larger calibers were thought to be better for hunting (which is what the kids did with their air guns).

.20 and .22 were favored.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Too many airguns to list. Seem to favor a Whiscombe JW70 in .20 these days, though there's not much of a selection of .20 ammo anymore.

Several Rifles & Pistols in both .177 & .22

Crosman 1322.jpg
Assembled this 1322 a year ago with steel receiver, rebuilt valve & expanded chamber capacity. Perfect for backyard Grackle & Pigeon plinking.

Top Bottom