What's new

Air Duct Cleaning

Anyone had air duct cleaning done? In selecting a company to clean our carpets, this is a service that they pointed out. It costs more than cleaning the carpet and according a quick review on the web, the EPA is neither pro nor con on it. Just wondered if anyone had an personal experience. Our house was built in 1982, has central gas heat and central air, and we have never had the air ducts cleaned. Have noticed no real problems, but don't know that we would have. Thanks!

I've gotten mine done every 3 years or so... considering the amount of dust that I pick up from on the floor, the furniture, etc. and the furnace's air filters, I tend to believe that it's something that's worth getting done ever so often.

There's also the chance of mold, mites and other bugs, etc. full of allergens, so like anything, getting it cleaned up can't hurt.

If you want to find out if it's needed, try and get in a duct with a camera (on a string, remote control, get one of those examination cameras, etc. you get the point) and see how much dust's in there, make sure you get a few corners or such.

I just had mine done a month ago, we moved in the house and the old owner had two dogs and a lot of pet dander. I was looking into it, groupon just happened to have a deal for 45 bucks. Not worth it at all, all they did was hook up a big vacuum to one vent and used another to vacuum out the rest. I only paid $45 bucks to have it done I would say invest in a nice shop vac and do it your self. They did not go deep into my registers or in the duct work it was only as far as the wand of the vacuum would reach. Then TRIED to sell me a bunch of other things. My buddy used a different company and had the same experience. If you do choose to go with it I would see keep an eye out for a groupon deal so you don't spend more then you have too.

I had it done when I bought my condo which has central heat and central air. We found a guy online who was local and was there a few hours. I saw all the dust and caked up god knows what that was in the ductwork and he also found a dead squirrel somewhere in there. The condo was 30 years old and was never really taken care of. If its done right you cant go wrong. Dont forget to change your filters.

Last edited:
I'll add... a good one will have a truck with a pretty massive compressor and vacuum...

He'll work with each vents that you have blowing compressed air while having the vacuum hose connected to your ductwork close to your furnace, possibly cutting a hole in the ductwork (that he'll close up after).

If he shows up without this sort of setup, then be worried. Have him explain what he'll be doing first when you set the appointment up.

Done right and if your ductworks are bad, he'll be able to show you the vacuum's container before and after. Could go from the size of a loaf of bread to a full garbage bag.

Just remember that anything he gets out, what being blown around in your air system.

Just had mine done after a phase of remodeling over the last year. When he showed me what he sucked out of the duct work, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought give the state of semi-construction in the house. No lie about a powerful compressor - it's a must.
In any case, I'm glad it was done and put it on the house maintenance calendar to revisit in a few years.

Top Bottom