What's new

Aidan Gill - Not a straight razor fan

http://www.aidangillformen.com/shave/ - Its the 3rd paragrah down.

Some might believe that the straight razor is a more viable option. Mr. Gill intervenes: "Romantic machismo ideas, spaghetti Westerns and various American gangster movies have led a certain group of young men to believe that a shave with a straight razor is a ticket to Valhalla. This is false.

He might talk a lot of rubbish but his shop looks good, he says he has collected around 50 barbershop chairs over the years!

I actually thought about getting a shave there on my wedding day, but didn't for whatever reason. This was before I started wetshaving, so his statement that the Mach 3 is "the best blade at this point in time" and recommendation of pre-shave oil didn't surprise me as they would now.

I actually thought about getting a shave there on my wedding day, but didn't for whatever reason. This was before I started wetshaving, so his statement that the Mach 3 is "the best blade at this point in time" and recommendation of pre-shave oil didn't surprise me as they would now.

Is this guy getting a kickback from Procter & Gamble every time he states that? :rolleyes:

Mr. Gill said:
"We have now arrived at the pinnacle of the sharpest of edges with the Gillette Mach 3, which we recommend as the best blade at this point in time."

He just lost all credibility as a barber with me.

Is this guy getting a kickback from Procter & Gamble every time he states that? :rolleyes:

But he's using an EJ handle.

Did anybody else take the virtual tour and see the framed razors on the wall. I hate to see the tools of a skilled craftsman under glass and going to waste.:frown:

Did anybody else take the virtual tour and see the framed razors on the wall. I hate to see the tools of a skilled craftsman under glass and going to waste.:frown:

Didnt take the tour but seen his shop background on the youtube vids.

Yeah I agree that I too would prefer people had them in their bathroom and used them. I guess it will preserve some history though, as he has doen with buying old towel steamers, barber chairs etc.

Did you guys watch the "how to shave" video on that page? Ouch!

No kidding. The way that kid was pressing the razor into his skin I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't a DE. Despite what he says, I can't imagine pressing that hard even with a Mach 3.

Art of Shaving's web site says virtually the same thing. They like that Mach 3 and they like pre-shave oil. And they say that straight razor shaving is "more of a hobby than a necessity." That sentence sure sounds like it has been carefully edited. Did any of us every say that straight razor shaving is a "necessity"?

Yeah, right. And HFCS Coca Cola tastes better that Coke made with sugar. And "You know, that women never really faint;
And that villains always blink their eyes;
That children are the only ones who blush;
And that life is just to die."

I don't want a ticket to Valhalla out of a shave, I just want a good shave! There is no doubt in my mind that the straight razor is the superior tool for getting a good shave. So when he starts nattering about Mach 3, he simply sounds like a shyster. To wit: I too thought the Mach 3 as good as it got until I tried something else. I would hope a self-proclaimed barber had more breadth of experience than I did before I found B&B.

Moral of the story? Having a bunch of (sadly) tarnished straights on the wall does not mean you know the first thing about them.

In the interest of accuracy they have a great collection of shaving products at decent prices. You won't find any bargains there, but you will find the three Ts, Castle Forbes, Santa Maria Novella and quite a few other lines. Oh, and Timor straights and Dovo strops. Go figure.

Did you guys watch the "how to shave" video on that page? Ouch!

Yes. This guy is a total joke.

EDIT: With that lathering technique, how on Earth is that kid going to go for a multipass shave? Then again, he doesn't even have stubble on his face.

Last edited:
The poor guy just never got a shave ready straight ...50 barber chairs is one thing, but if you collect straights you should learn to hone sometime. :rolleyes:

I agree with all your comments.

he has a great looking shop, loads of good equipment/paraphenalia but unfortunately he is talking out the back of his hand.

Top Bottom