What's new

Ahoy, from NYC!

Hey everyone. I'm new to wet shaving and I'm really excited... except that I can't seem to get my hands on any hardware. I placed an order on classicshave.com before learning about their poor reputation. Some research on other vendors (razor emporium and west coast shaving) showed very poor reviews as well. So I'm stuck, I think. Where can I go to get my hands on a starter razer and some blades? I can't go anywhere in person because NYC is busy right now fighting off the plague, but is there an online retailer that has a good reputation?

Thanks so much for guidance!

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Welcome to B&B!

I seem to remember Art of Shaving having a few physical stores in the city, plus a few mom-and-pop stores stocked razors (in fact, that’s where I bought one of my first razors, a Merkur 15c). Wouldn’t recommend getting your first razor from a physical store without prior research though, you’d ideally want to do some reading before pulling the trigger.

Of course, you might be able to get away with those 10 dollar DE razors in drug stores with a plastic construction, but I assume you‘re after a decent razor with good build quality.

Given the situation with the virus, it’s probably best to order one online. I’ll leave it to more knowledgeable members to recommend stores though, I’m located a bit far away to be familiar with them!

Enjoy your stay and hope we can enable you help you along your journey.

Awesome! Thank you so much.

Welcome to B&B!

I seem to remember Art of Shaving having a few physical stores in the city, plus a few mom-and-pop stores stocked razors (in fact, that’s where I bought one of my first razors, a Merkur 15c). Wouldn’t recommend getting your first razor from a physical store without prior research though, you’d ideally want to do some reading before pulling the trigger.

Of course, you might be able to get away with those 10 dollar DE razors in drug stores with a plastic construction, but I assume you‘re after a decent razor with good build quality.

Given the situation with the virus, it’s probably best to order one online. I’ll leave it to more knowledgeable members to recommend stores though, I’m located a bit far away to be familiar with them!

Thanks! I tend to find AoS to be a bit overpriced. And you're right, I want something nicer than a plastic razor.

Enjoy your stay and hope we can enable you help you along your journey.
Ha! I'm looking forward to it.

Guess we are even I was born in the Bronx, moved to Yonkers and when I was married lived in White Plains.
Now I live in Jackson TN.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Oh wow, what a small world. I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Scarsdale (please, PLEASE don't judge me), then... Pittsburgh, Knoxville, Cleveland, LA, and finally Queens!

Oh wow, what a small world. I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Scarsdale (please, PLEASE don't judge me), then... Pittsburgh, Knoxville, Cleveland, LA, and finally Queens!
We lived up the street from Nathan's, graduated
from Roosevelt H.S. in 1960.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Ha! Off Central Ave? That's wild.

Graduated from Scarsdale H.S. in 2005. 😉

Good to meet you, bud!

Welcome to B&B.
Italian Barber, Maggard Razors, WCS should give you good service and you will get the best deals online. If you know what you want then **zon may be a good bet. Shipping will have delays these days though so be patient.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Wild country down there. How're you faring? (Shout out from the Catskill Mountains.)

Welcome aboard!

I have had great service from the B&B vendors. Another excellent option for hardware is the BST forum.

Top Bottom