What's new

Ahhhh....

After weeks of weather in the high-90's and penultimate humidity, it finally broke yesterday, leading to a gorgeous, cool evening tonight. I just got back from my porch, watching the sun set, smoking some fine English tobacco, and drinking a snifter of Cardenal Mendoza. It doesn't get better than this folks.

On occasions like this, I get wistful, realizing how lucky and blessed I am to live in this country, have a nice house, money to spend on shaving supplies, etc. Too many other places in the world it is quite different.

Enjoy!

BTW, anyone else like Spanish brandy? Yummmm.....

IMG_1061_1_1.JPG

mark the shoeshine boy said:
I've been known to wind up in the alleys drinking.....how come that stuff doesn't have a brown bag around it ????

mark tssb :rolleyes:

I didn't see the MD 20/20 name on it either!

I am more of a scotch and bourbon kinda guy - but mainly because I have not explored the realm of brandy. Any good suggestions?

Rik said:
I'm an iced chilled vodka kind of guy.
What kind of Vodka do you like? I enjoy vodka on occasion as well - however since I am not TOO passionate about vodka I cherry pick my vodkas - as I do not drink very much.

Here is my current vodka stock.....

Kettle One
Rain
Shakers Wheat
Shakers Rose (very interesting)
Grey Goose
Tito's

I, too, am a chilled vodka kind of guy, vodka martini, that is... I'm also a peaty single malt kind of guy, and a full bodied cabernet kind of guy, as well as a dry sauvignon blanc kind of guy, a lager kind of guy, a rye whisky kind of guy... aww hell, I've been known to be a cheap malt liquor kind of guy on occassion, but let's keep that between you and me...:wink:

I just tried some Arax armenian brandy from bevmo, I am enjoying it quite a bit but don't have much brandy knowledge... what qualities do you enjoy about that spanish stuff, what distinguishes it from the rest of the pack, etc?

RVG

joel said:
What kind of Vodka do you like? I enjoy vodka on occasion as well - however since I am not TOO passionate about vodka I cherry pick my vodkas - as I do not drink very much.

Here is my current vodka stock.....

Kettle One
Rain
Shakers Wheat
Shakers Rose (very interesting)
Grey Goose
Tito's
It's Stoly in the martinis and Skye in the freezer... :a17:

Anyone try Stoly Elite I am told it is the "best" of the best as far as vodkas go..... personally I am not about to invest $63 to find out!

Stoly 100proof all the way..........little grapefruit and cranberry and your set. I beleive its called a grey hound or sledghammer or something like that.

For me it's Finlandia. It's an ethnic thing, I guess. I'm a quarter Finnish, but then I hate sahti (at least the batch I made) and lutefisk sounds truly vile...

-Rich

reginald-van-gleason said:
I, too, am a chilled vodka kind of guy, vodka martini, that is... I'm also a peaty single malt kind of guy, and a full bodied cabernet kind of guy, as well as a dry sauvignon blanc kind of guy, a lager kind of guy, a rye whisky kind of guy... aww hell, I've been known to be a cheap malt liquor kind of guy on occassion, but let's keep that between you and me...:wink:

I just tried some Arax armenian brandy from bevmo, I am enjoying it quite a bit but don't have much brandy knowledge... what qualities do you enjoy about that spanish stuff, what distinguishes it from the rest of the pack, etc?

RVG

Bah, real martinis are made with gin. :wink:

Speaking of which, tonight it was a Martini made with Anchor (gotta love that strong juniper flavor), a Manhattan with Blanton's, a spicy Bloody Mary with Kettle 1, some Riesling that was fantastic, but I can't remember the vintner, all capped off with some Martell VSOP. :a17:

-Nick

Nick said:

Speaking of which, tonight it was a Martini made with Anchor (gotta love that strong juniper flavor), a Manhattan with Blanton's, a spicy Bloody Mary with Kettle 1, some Riesling that was fantastic, but I can't remember the vintner, all capped off with some Martell VSOP. :a17:

-Nick

Maybe we should create a "Drink of the Night" topic!

Im interested in trying new things but besides vodka"i think ive tried every thing my liquer store carries" ive only had JD wich is repulsive as well as crown :18: Im only a fan of tequilia if its in a margarita and rum has to be in a fruity concoction. Any tips for a newbie venturing into something besides vodka. Things that go well with cigars would be nice. :a39:

Nick said:

-Nick

After that lineup, I'm amazed you can actually write that sentence!
For me:

Dry, cold vodka martini (stoly) with just a touch of noilly prat, and an olive... thoroughly shaken. I will be giving your gin recipe a try though, that's for sure...

...followed by two glasses of Dry Creek Vineyard Fume Blanc (2003). Goes well with lighter fare...

RVG

reginald-van-gleason said:
After that lineup, I'm amazed you can actually write that sentence!
RVG

I can honestly say - I have met no man nor beast that can drink like our friend Nick.... I have personally seen this man take down 2 full 750ml's and not die :a54: He wasn't lookin' so good the next morning - but we were in mighty high altitudes, and had been smoking cigars and eating awfully rich food that night as well. Course - the SOB is about as big as an ox :wink:

alright, this ole Baptist boy is coming out of the closet, (Baptists invented the closet, so they have something to drink in)....I enjoy Crown Royal or Seagram's 7...Whiskey River whiskey...Bailey's...and a Margirita...and of course beer (a/b products mostly)...not really a big drinker any more...don't have the time like i did when i was younger...

My neighbor makes a whiskey slush or Hard Ice as he calls it. dang is it good. My dad buys Ezra Brooks...he likes that a bunch...now HE makes a great margirita !!!!!

I did learn three things about religion yesterday, though....

Protestants don't recognize the Pope....Jewish people don;t recognize Jesus Christ and Baptists don't recognize each other in a Liquor store or a Hooter's.... :nono:

Please no cards or letters on that one, even the Pastor of my church likes it....

mark tssb :a35:

Top Bottom