What's new

Ahhhh....

My last batch of beer was called "Fourth Dimentia Ole Ale" It topped out at 12.8% abv. A couple of those and I'm ready for "jammies!" :tongue_sm

It seems lately I'm either drinking whatever Port Wine Costco has or my brew. I'm rather burned out on the gin / vodka thing as I went nuts with those a few years back (well, not NUTS - just got sick of them).

This last year, I'm obsessed with high-alcohol beers. The highest I have (regularly) is Avery Brewings "The Beast" @ 18.2% and Dogfishhead Brewery's "120 IPA" @ 21. something...

It's pricey - but it's an experience! I swear the beast is like cognac with bubbles. It needs about 10 more years to settle down... :crazy:

reginald-van-gleason said:
After that lineup, I'm amazed you can actually write that sentence!
For me:

Dry, cold vodka martini (stoly) with just a touch of noilly prat, and an olive... thoroughly shaken. I will be giving your gin recipe a try though, that's for sure...

...followed by two glasses of Dry Creek Vineyard Fume Blanc (2003). Goes well with lighter fare...

RVG

My fingers actually become more nimble after I've had a few, I think it's the lubrication.

It is hard to beat a good vodka martini, and the olive, after it's steeped for a while is like a little green nugget of joy!

-Nick

AACJ said:
Maybe we should create a "Drink of the Night" topic!
Gadzooks! That idea is genius!!

joel said:
...He wasn't lookin' so good the next morning - but we were in mighty high altitudes, and had been smoking cigars and eating awfully rich food that night as well...
For being such a prolific picture taker, I sure lucked out that you didn't have your camera with you the next morning! :001_tt2:

HlSheppard said:
This last year, I'm obsessed with high-alcohol beers. The highest I have (regularly) is Avery Brewings "The Beast" @ 18.2% and Dogfishhead Brewery's "120 IPA" @ 21. something...

Is The Beast a barleywine? I've heard of those going up to 24% (and had one from Legend Brewery in Richmond, VA that was around 21%), but that may be an old, drunk wives' tale...

-Rich :a8:

I think, technically, anything of that high and ABV is considered to be a barleywine...

Avery calls it a "Grand Cru Ale." Sam Adams' Utopia is about 25%, but it's also $150 per bottle (750ml I think). I've had two opportunities to buy it - but I've passed both times.

The bottle of Utopia is the coolest part (all copper and looks like a brew kettle).

Go to www.ratebeer.com and do a search. You'll fine details on all the beers I've mentioned. You can even see a picture of the Sam Adams' Utopia copper bottle.

HlSheppard said:
Hi Scotto -

I've never had the pleasure (but it sounds right up my alley)... :a17:

Is it "widely" available?

It is widely available at liquor stores for ~$50. Spanish brandy is aged for a long time in sherry casks, and is much sweeter than cognac. If you like sherry, think that with a lot more alcohol. Definitely worth a try, and Cardenal Mendoza is the best of them, IMO.

Joe Lerch said:
A real martini is made with gin, preferably Bombay Sapphire.
I beg your pardon! A Perfect Martini is made with Gin, Vodka, and Dry (French) Vermouth with Spanish Olives! I happen to make them on Friday nights only. So get there early.

I agree with your recipe, except for the vodka, and light on the vermouth. I like it dry.

guenron said:
I beg your pardon! A Perfect Martini is made with Gin, Vodka, and Dry (French) Vermouth with Spanish Olives! I happen to make them on Friday nights only. So get there early.

Joe Lerch said:
I agree with your recipe, except for the vodka, and light on the vermouth. I like it dry.
Remember the difference between a gentleman and a bum is the vermouth. Take off the cap, face towards Italy or France and salute! :a17:

Joe Lerch said:

I always thought that a dry martini was more in reference to the type of vermouth being used (Italian being sweet, French being dry) and less so the
amount of vermouth as compared to the vodka and or gin. Your thoughts?

Tonight, I am going to try a "Vesper". To quote Ian Fleming:

"Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel. Got it?" (James Bond's Hybrid Martini)

RVG

There ae dryer vrmouths, but from the point of view of a martini, dry means less vermouth. I have the experience. Ask a bartender.

reginald-van-gleason said:
I always thought that a dry martini was more in reference to the type of vermouth being used (Italian being sweet, French being dry) and less so the amount of vermouth as compared to the vodka and or gin. Your thoughts?

HL,

If you like DogFish brewery, try the "Midas Touch" high alcohol (though not near 18%) and a great taste--brewed with muscat grapes and a touch of honey. One of my favorite beers of all time. I love strong beers. SOME day, I will rbew my own. For now, however, I will be in the beer section, scoping out the barleywines and imperial stouts....

HlSheppard said:
I think, technically, anything of that high and ABV is considered to be a barleywine...

Avery calls it a "Grand Cru Ale." Sam Adams' Utopia is about 25%, but it's also $150 per bottle (750ml I think). I've had two opportunities to buy it - but I've passed both times.

The bottle of Utopia is the coolest part (all copper and looks like a brew kettle).

Go to www.ratebeer.com and do a search. You'll fine details on all the beers I've mentioned. You can even see a picture of the Sam Adams' Utopia copper bottle.

Utopia is FANTASTIC but it is hardly what one would consider "Beer". It isn't carbonated. It's more like a good Port than anything else. Similar to Sam Adam's triple Bock

Chris said:
HL,

If you like DogFish brewery, try the "Midas Touch" high alcohol (though not near 18%) and a great taste--brewed with muscat grapes and a touch of honey. One of my favorite beers of all time. I love strong beers. SOME day, I will rbew my own. For now, however, I will be in the beer section, scoping out the barleywines and imperial stouts....

old rastputin imperial stout! i like it alot.

proxy.php

I like to go to Mendocino on occasion, and a trip isn't complete without stopping by the Tap Room & Grill at the North Coast Brewing Company. Nothing beats a burger and an Old Rasputin!

-Nick

Top Bottom