What's new

Ahhh. Back to quality blades.

For most of the past year, I had been working my way through a large sampler pack that included Gillette Russian Blues and Greens, Feathers, Astra SP's, Supermax, and a few other good blades (I include Derby's in that because they always worked very well for me). My supply ran out and I forgot to resupply my blades online. I picked up a couple packs of Walmart Wilkies to bridge the gap, and they performed OK. I figured I would make a blade order when I loaded the 5th blade from the first Walmart Wilkies pack.

I just received my new blades - I picked up a 100 pack of Astra SP's and 25 Gillette 7 O'clock Blacks (I thought I ordered the Russian Blues, but they shipped Indian Blacks). Oh well...

I loaded up a Gillette Indian Black in my EJ DE89l and lathered up with one of my go to soaps - Edwin Jagger Lime and Pomegranite. Wow. The difference was clear - the difference was obvious in how much better a quality blade makes the process in terms of comfort and results. I became complacent. This was the first time I used a Gillette Indian Black blade, and was very impressed. I've got a few of the Walmart Wilkies left (bought two packs at Wally World), but they will go to emergency use only. The best part of that is that I won't be running out of quality blades any time soon with that 100 pack of Astra SP's sitting in the Den.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm curious... What kind of emergency would cause you to use anything less than your favorite blades? Pitch the Wilkies and put aside 10 of your favorites for "emergencies".

Top Bottom