What's new

Ahem…..Best Frozen Microwave Pizza?

I’m almost embarrassed to ask this but let me share why. My wife makes incredible pizza from scratch on Fridays, when I’m home. I am not home, rather on a contract, working long hours and sleeping in our tiny RV. Basically, I’m a bachelor again and I do not have an oven. I had a hankering for a frozen pizza and got lost in the super market, browsing literally what seemed like 100 different frozen pizzas.

Since the first dozen I checked out did not have microwave instructions, I settled on a pasta dish. Mind you, I might eat a frozen meal twice a month however, I really wanted a quick microwave pizza tonight lol. Is there one out there that has decent toppings covered in cheesey love and a fairer than cardboard crust? Is this even a thing?

EDIT: Sorry ... brainfart ... I didn't notice it was "microwave only" .... my bad for not reading closely before I responded. sorry. It just might work in a microwave, never tried.

This isn't quite pizza ... but if you have a trader joe's nearby you can buy their "Garlic Naan" or the plain Naan if you don't like garlic. I haven't tried it with tomato sauce or any kind of sauce --- but I just pile on some grated cheese and sliced mushrooms, sliced olives, peppers, onions or whatever and pop it in a toaster oven for a couple of minutes with the top element (broiler) on as well as the bottom element -- the naan is already cooked but frozen so it just needs to be in the toaster oven for a few minutes. I think it's better than most frozen pizza's I've tried.
1679710415568.png

P.S. Trader Joes has really good frozen pizza too!

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Next time the microwave dies, replace it with a Breville Smart Oven. It is much more versatile and big enough to handle a frozen pizza. I like Red Baron ok, but our HEB line, Midtown, is wonderful.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I’m almost embarrassed to ask this but...

...best to ask around among a bunch of guys/gals of a certain age who've probably had to face that dilemma a time or two. So good on ya! May I make a somewhat divergent suggestion?

"Tlayuda" might fix your fix. Also known as "Oaxacan Pizza," tlayuda is a corn tortilla toasted on a griddle or in a skillet, then topped with sauce, meat, peppers, onions, cheese, crema, asiento...go nuts if you want. Sauce and meat are already cooked, and you could give the onions a quick saute or even just chop and nuke them for a minute.

Real tlayuda generally come on a 12-inch tortilla, but you can use standard size corn tortillas or I suppose could even use a wheat tortilla. You'd just make about four little ones to equal one big one. :)

I'm assuming you have some kind of cooktop or hotplate. If not, my apologies and also condolences on a truly hardship posting.

O.H.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have no advice. It's been a while since I've had any microwave pizza, but I am listening to the advice here.

I'm also enjoying fond memories of the absurd number of Pillsbury microwave pizzas I while in college.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'd be interested in a good microwave pizza .. I've yet to have one.

Without an real oven, I'm not sure it's possible - DiGiorno's frozen is passable but I think not micro - friendly.

My quick pizza urges are filled with leftover homemade that I've frozen, heated in a combo of microwave & skillet. Finishing with the skillet crisps the crust up a little over the limp wet dough produced by a microwave

Just buy a good air fryer and you can cook your pizza in that and it will be as good as a real oven. A Philips is compact enough for an RV.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Microwave ovens work by resonantly electromagnetically exciting water molecules. The energy goes into heating the water, so anything cooked in the microwave is essentially steamed. OK for warming up leftovers, fine for heating water or a cup of tea/coffee but not optimal for baking.

Depending on your RV -- you say "tiny" -- you may have space for a toaster/convection/air fryer. Sounds like you're hooked to shore power, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I just recalled another option that I used 40 years ago. Back then I had a nice Farberware stainless electric skillet. With a little care it would at least heat up and mildly crisp a small pizza or even could bake a cake by pouring the batter directly into the pan. The tricks were moderate heat and using the lid to help hold in the heat. I'm also reminded that my Bethany Heritage Griddle (beloved of Norwegian lefse bakers in the US) also can be used that way and the company sells an accessory "heat dome" for that purpose.

Not the best you've ever had for sure, but getting pizza and a beer is a positive step. I got better tools later, but when I needed it that was at least close enough for Friday night. Plus the electric skillet didn't stink up the place with gas fumes, cooked darn near anything I put in it, and also made unterrible flapjacks. I suppose modernly one could get an induction hotplate, a skillet that will work on it, and a lid.

Might be an option.

But which pizza? Mrs. Hippie usually picks up one or two frozen margherita pizzas from Amy's Kitchen if we're taking off for a few days. Our smallish RV has a decent little oven (one of the things we specified) and I can toss one of those in for a quick meal after an afternoon spent trolling for bears with Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund. :)

O.H.

Old-ish thread, so hopefully he got it sorted out.

I'm in agreement with "no such thing exists". If it were me, I'd spring for a cheap toaster oven for the RV and buy Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Works in a pinch to satisfy a pizza jones.

Old-ish thread, so hopefully he got it sorted out.

I'm in agreement with "no such thing exists". If it were me, I'd spring for a cheap toaster oven for the RV and buy Stouffer's French Bread pizza. Works in a pinch to satisfy a pizza jones.
Stouffer’s is an okay option too. Oster makes a decent compact French door oven that might work well in an RV. Big enough for a 9”x13” casserole or 9” pizza. I wouldn’t recommend anything too heavy because the brackets that hold the racks seem to be a little bit flimsy but for a smaller size casserole or lighter items like pizza it’s pretty good

Top Bottom