What's new

Aging Your Tubs of Cream ?

Does anyone age their tubs of cream ?
At the start of the pandemic I bought extra supply of tubs of Taylor of Old Bond Street , Organic .
I shaved less and some of the bowls dried and turned into hard croaps producing the best creamy lather !
Now I age all my tubs of cream .

At the start of the pandemic I bought extra supply of tubs of Taylor of Old Bond Street , Organic .
I shaved less and some of the bowls dried and turned into hard croaps producing the best creamy lather !

which TOBS is organic??

proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have a tub TOBS I bought about 2 years ago. Brand new stashed away in a plastic tub somewhere. I might have to dig it out and have a look. I cannot even remember the scent that I bought.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've purchased TOBS and had it arrive very soft and some that arrived like a croap. But regardless, they all produce excellent lather. TOBS is wonderful stuff.

Only if they start selling premium wine or Port in tubes… :c2:

It is not my experience that shaving cream in tubes improves with age, but neither does it seem to deteriorate within a reasonable span of years.
Shaving cream in tubs, however, has a tendency to dry out, but I have never noticed any improvement from such ageing.

Pity, when we moved to Portugal last year I had to toss a few tubs of Taylor of Old Bond St. (TOBS) shaving cream that I had bought around 2006 during an extended stay in London, England.
Could have sent them to you, as you seem to like vintage TOBS. :001_smile

B.

I've been known to let my Cream Sherry age a little....

How was it stored? I recently had the cap on a tube of Proraso Blue fail and so I transferred the contents to a tub; I would actually prefer the cream to dry out a bit and turn into a croap.

Last edited:
Just found some Taylors Lemon Lime today that ive had open for at least two years. Not wet but still moist. Great shave.

Reactions: bjm
I bought 6 tubs of St James of London Sandalwood and Bergamot last year when it was on sale. Good to know it likely won’t go to waste if it dries up a bit.

Ordered a TOBs organic from Pastuer’s and it showed up ‘aged’ as you say, like a croap. Mine was a little firmer than say, a puck of Stirlings. They sent out replacement and told me to throw away or use. I decided to give it a try and had the same results-some of best lather I’ve had. Maybe because it becomes more concentrated? Current tub is getting there, maybe another month or so in the cellar.

I recently had the cap on a tube of Proraso Blue fail and so I transferred the contents to a tub; I would actually prefer the cream to dry out a bit and turn into a croap.

The only time I've had both a tub and a tube of a cream was TOBS Sandalwood. It seemed to me that the cream in the tube was a different formula in that it was creamier so it could be easily squeezed from the tube. I don't know for a fact that TOBS did that, but it was definitely different.

Top Bottom