What's new

Aggressive Razor. Whats the appeal?

Actually, I really do think those who like mild razors are limp-wristed candy asses.

You sure figured us out. No sneaking anything past you :rolleyes5

It's just fun and nice to have some variety. Aggressive and mild razors: one isn't necessarily better than the other nor do I see any members on this forum who use aggressive razors bragging that they can use or have mastered them.

Last edited:
I used to love those mild ones, like SS and Techs...but after the Gem 1912 I was hooked on agressice razors. I love the new R41/2011 and my toggle jacked up to 9. Also the barbasol has that quiet aggresiveness that I love too.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think for about 75% of the folks it's a pissing contest situation, as you put it.

For a few people, however, I think their technique, coupled with their skin & beard, can get a closer shave in fewer passes with a more aggressive razor.

I also feel that many of those people would probably get *about* the same shave quality with a less "aggressive" razor *if* they paid just as much attention to blade angles, pressure, etc. when using the less "aggressive" razors.

They take an R41 or a Gillette Old/New OC razor and pay very, very close attention to blade angles, the use the cap of the razor to keep a low blade ange, not relying on the safety bar... When many of these same people go to a tech or other razor with a "mild" reputation, they begin using (relying on) the safety bar of the razor, so the blade angle of attack at the skin level is now different that it is when they are using the "aggressive" razor, or the adjustable turned up all the way, so their shave is not as close or it takes more passes, simply because the blade angle is not optimal.

The Feather stainless is a great example. If you "use it like a tech" it's almost as forgiving, and won't give you a much closer shave. On the other hand, treat it like you would a Gillette Old Type with the lower blade angle, keeping more of the cap in contact with your face, and it will mow down the whiskers every bit as close as an Old or New type OC razor. (You'll also get 2-3
X the blade life, since you aren't "bending" the edge of the blade backwards, but rather attacking the hair at a much more head-on angle.)

Brian has hit the nail on the head for me. After two years, I can say my technique is at the place where I know I can get a good shave out of most of the razors I own. While my beard is not extra tough nor is it soft. It is your average black course Irish decent type beard. Yet I can mow it down with a 40's SS or Tech with a 3 pass modified and have an excellent DFSish almost BBS shave. However, I can use my OCMM and get a DFS with a one pass and touch up because it is more aggressive.

I find myself going the most towards the razors that fall in between these mild or aggressive razors. Usually for me it is a CPMM or GEM Damaskeene which will get me DFS-BBS with what I call a two-pass modified shave. I get extremely great results on a very consistent basis.

Shaving with a Schick Krona or Gillette SS (blade notwithstanding) has me with a less than close shave from the get-go. By late afternoon I could stand to shave again; I don't want to do that. Nor am I a huge fan of multiple passes. My thoughts are that one should be enough for the most part.

The Futur at 5 (or even 6) does in fact afford a shave close enough for me. My recently acquired R41 does an even better job though. Both are one pass razors (with exception being given to an area below the chin...that takes 3 or more). Granted, the Muhle requires concntration and a slow steady hand. The Schick or Gillette does not. point being the end result is well worth the effort...and that's not a pissing contest throw down, just my preference.

Last edited:
I think the people who assume it's some sort of a macho thing, and/or unnecessary are forgetting the YMMV tennet.

I do not have a super tough beard thank goodness, but it's also nit super fine. I can get a decent shave from damn near any razor, and the only time I ever cut myself was when I used an OCMM for the first time and was in way too much of a hurry to shave. Lesson learned: take your time with a new razor, especially if it's significantly different from what you;re used to. I know some people cut themselves a lot, some never cut themselves. Some people have sensitive skin and a particular razor or blade or combination thereof gives them irritation. The thing is I very fortunately do not have any of these problems, and so I can use whatever razor I like the most, and very often the ones I like the most are the ones that are classified as "agressive"

Personally I don't necessarily see that much difference between say a Superspeed and a NEW. THe differences are subtle, and when I choose one razor over another it's often whim as much as any particular characteristic. That sid, my favorite razors tend to be the ones that are considered agressive, and I think the primary reason I favor them is that I can get a closer shave with less effort. I love it when I pick up a razor, and it seems to just cut through the hairs and leave the skin smooth with a single drag-free pass. "Smoothness" is not just about blade exposure, or lack there of, it's also the blade sharpess, coating, and angle, and some of my most agressive razors are also quite smooth.

SO again, what works for me may not work well for you, but that is no reason to assume that I'm just being macho and smiling through tears as my "aggressive" razor rips my face to shreds. THat's what YMMV is all about. A razor that brings you tears may in fact give the most comfortable shave to someone else for any number of reasons. Use what you like, but please don't assume that just because you don't like it it's no good to anyone else.

First, the razors I've used that I'm considering "aggressive" are the R41, 37c Slant, & Fatboy on "9". The R41 is the most aggressive/efficient for me and my favorite. The mild razors I've tried are the Merkur 23c, Gillette SS Red Tip, and Merkur Open Comb Travel Razor.

I prefer the R41 because:

1 - I get a closer, longer lasting shave.

2- I get that close shave with fewer strokes and with less irritation. When I revisited milder razors or even milder blades, I have a hard time accepting the limitations of the tools and resort to "overshaving" to get the results I know are achievable with the R41. I have caused irritation doing this.

3- The exceptional blade gap on the R41 gives me more control on how I position the blade against my skin. The few times I revisited cartridge shaving, this was the most annoying thing I noticed. The blade angle is too frickin flat and there really isn't anything you can do to change that unless you just apply more and more pressure. DE's with narrower gaps, while more flexible than catridges, give you less angle options than the aggressive razors.

there is an efficiency/effectiveness appeal i believe... after that i found a razor like the 2K11 R41 did not improve the experience.. felt like i had to watch my you know what on every pass. i don't feel that way with a straight or cobra SE or slant.

Does it have a good valid advantage, or is it a bit of a pissing contest?
It's C: YMMV -- as with everything here. Not everyone has the same beard/skin/etc. Advantage/validity depends on whether or not you stand to benefit from it (or the opposite). Don't assume that your situation and preferences are universal.

Before I bought the 2011 R41, I thought aggressive razor = better shave + less effort = high appeal.
After I bought the 2011 R41, I thought aggressive razor = same shave + this hurts my face = no appeal.

Ergo, I concluded that aggressive razors are for people who don't like their faces. :)

Absolutely disagree. I have nothing to prove to anyone here nor to myself. I like the fact that learning how to use the new R41 has made every other razor child's play. I get superior shaves from it, better than anything else I've tried and I've tried quite a few DEs and one SE. It's a learning process with any of these razors and the R41 has a steeper learning curve than other razors, prompting many to give up, and that's fine. Lumping all of us happy '11 R41 owners together as masochists is short sighted at best.

To me,this post makes the most sense of any in this thread

I don't see any reason at all to use a razor that causes one any discomfort. I mean what for? :confused1

Unless its to be able to say "hey, look at me, I'm a big , strong, macho man who won't be seen using a whimpy, girly, sissy razor. :001_tt2:

And this one makes the least

I do a 3 pass shave daily using a Futur dailed up to 5 using the Walmart Wilkies---not sure what it is but this combo flat out works for me----no cuts, irritation, nothin.

If I use an Astra or Derby, I have to dial it down to 3.5 or so---irritating and the shave is not nearly as good.

I like a BBS shave and the whiskers on my neck grow WILD-----I get more irritation trying to make a mild razor work and none being slow and steady with my dialed up Futur.

Cheap VDH soap and a cheap bore brush are my favorites---prefer the stiff boar to the floppy badger I have.

Speaking for the LWCA Baby Faced crowd, it seems skin type is the key to using the aggressive DE razors. I really enjoy the Single Edge shave, both open and closed comb, but think the stiffness of the blade creates some kind of a difference that makes the difference for me.

1) For those days when you have a few days of extra beard and you want solid results on the first pass.

2) They teach you proper shaving technique, quickly if you're careless.

3) Like that "dirty" girl at the bar that you'd never take home to Mom, there's just something there you simply cannot say no to.

Not pissy at all really!:wink2:

In shaving, there is a balance struck between getting a close shave but avoiding skin irritation. I find an important component of that balance is how closely a razor cuts on a single pass. While this is influenced by the blade used, the razor itself also influences this to a great degree. I find, for example, that a short comb New cuts closer in a single shave than a EJ DE89 loaded with the same blade. The result is that, if I am careful to avoid undue pressure while shaving, I can get a close shave without much buffing or touch up in 2 to 3 passes with the New, while a similar shave with the EJ DE89 will require more buffing and touching up, leading in the end to greater irritation. For me, in general, the best balance I have found is the 46-47 Aristocrat, which I find is between the New and ED DE89 in aggressiveness. I can imagine, however, that with different skin and beard combinations, a different razor (either more or less aggressive) would provide a better balance. I assume that is why, for example, Gillette marketed some razors based specifically on aggressiveness (the blue and red tips, for example). Just because something is used in marketing doesn't necessarily mean it is false.

In short, I don't equate aggressiveness and masculinity, either in razors or in life. On the other hand, I don't think I would be comfortable using a pink lady gillette razor as my go-to shaver, regardless of how aggressive it was. A man's gotta have limits.

Top Bottom