What's new

Aggressive Razor Suggestions

I've found myself tending to enjoy shaves with a more aggressive Razor. The "marble" skin post shave feel is hard to beat. I've enjoyed all the ones I've tried so far, just wondering if I'm missing out on any others. So far I have and use in rotation the WR2 1.55, lupo .95 oc, Stirling HA, iKon Tek, R41 SS, Ti Blackbird, Timeless Ti .95, along with some other mid aggression for autopilot. Any recommendations for an aggressive Razor that's worth a try?

Ehh…your listing all the well known aggressive razors including lesser knowns like Stirlings and you want more? Nice collection there!!

I find the Razorine Flatboy to be a little beasty at times and speaking of beasts I read the Yaqi Beast and Knight are also aggressive.

And you can of course get the RR SLOC or Yaqi Mellon caps to amp up your R41.

What about the Gillette Old Type and Fatip Slant?

Cheers,

Guido

I've found myself tending to enjoy shaves with a more aggressive Razor. The "marble" skin post shave feel is hard to beat. I've enjoyed all the ones I've tried so far, just wondering if I'm missing out on any others. So far I have and use in rotation the WR2 1.55, lupo .95 oc, Stirling HA, iKon Tek, R41 SS, Ti Blackbird, Timeless Ti .95, along with some other mid aggression for autopilot. Any recommendations for an aggressive Razor that's worth a try?
Are you only interested in modern razors?

If so, have you considered experimenting with slants?

If you at some point would like to try something from the vintage world a Gillette 'Bulldog' and Darwin 'De-luxe' have to be mentioned.

Whether or not you will like the shaves only you can find out, but I would say they are quite agressive and for sure two historic important models 👌🏼

I also like efficient razors. Among my favorites include the Blackbird OC and Timeless brass & Slim OC. No longer manufactured razors include Charcoal good level 3 1st gen, AC bladed Asylum Rx (1st gen), and Occams Enoch.

Shavette, perhaps? Or SE?

I know this is a DE thread, just wondering.

Like you, I am very much a fan of aggro DE setups. My current fave is the Lupo .95....marble, indeed.

I myself am pretty satisfied w/ a DE but I've seen over the years that some folks who find themselves shaving consistently at this end of the spectrum sometimes switch up to, or at least include, other formats.

Check out some adjustables: Rex Ambassador, Homelike Taiga, Merkur Progress, etc. Those all have relatively mild low ends, and pretty blade-feely high ends.

Yaqi Aggressive slant
Charcoal Goods gen 1 lv 3 OC if found
iKon Standard perhaps
Janus adjustable, if found

Let us know how your search is going

Timeless bronze OC. It's a super smooth and efficient razor, even if you don't typically like OC.
I would throw in the Yates EH in there.

If you want even more, you may have to switch to something like feather DX (single edge, shavette style razor)

With all the razors that you've listed, I don't think it would be easy to impress you with anything or that you're missing too much. Still, the recommendations are all good, but not many modern manufacturers are trying to make very aggressive razors, since not many folks are into such razors and I would imagine that it's not very profitable for the sellers.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Aggressive razors for me are just a nice change up and it tells a fellow how his technique is doing. When I use a aggressive razor I like to use a Steep angle (riding the bar) with a short handle for less leverage & weight.
The short handle allows for quick response to ease up for a little less blade feel and slight adjustment to handle allows for some more blade feel on flat areas or areas where those flat whiskers are laying, its like a adjustable but live while in the stroke of the razor being used, that's why folks like me like to use them once in a while to see how my technique is working. Don't plunk your razor at the start of stroke your almost guaranteed a nick!
If you come out with a very close shave with no weepers or nicks your will have no issues with other safety razors other than a Shavette or straight razor because that is another skill level up IMO.
Some of the information above is for newbies who might like to use a aggressive razor in the future!
(Click photo to enlarge)some old archived photo's I keep around for explaining better than I can write :a27:)
Yaqi Beast 2 I had fun creating with a yaqi Flipside base plate and a Yaqi Mellon head V1)
Yaqi Beast 2 open comb side of the Yaqu flipside base plate..jpg
Yaqi beast 2 scalloped side on yaqi flipside base plate..jpg

(below)Yaqi Top aggressive chrome V1slant ................................. Yaqi Knights helmet most aggressive of the 3 shown.
Yaqi slant head.jpg
Yaqi Knights helmet razor head..jpg

(Below photo) is just a quick reference where I thought they are for aggression and efficentcy IMO

Yaqi 1 aggression chart..jpg

Have some great shaves!

R

romsitsa

LeCoq safety bar version. Or any razor with its bar/teeth removed.

Top Bottom