What's new

Aggressive-ish razor between the King C. Gillette and the R41?

The Rockwell 6S (or 6C) is a very well balanced razor that gives you the ability to change agressiveness. You can experiment until you find exactly the blade gap you're comfortable with. You can use that forever or change it depending on you growth. And as It's a solid 3 piece tool you don't have to worry about delicate mechanics.

I have the Fatip Open Comb slant, the R41 (2011 & 2013), the R41+ Tribute, GameChanger .84, Lupo .95, and JAWS. Since what you want is between the King C. Gillette (which I do not have) and the R41, I would suggest the GameChanger .84. It's aggressive enough to get the job done but does so in a mild, controlled manner( 2-3 passes won't leave your skin feeling raw). You can cut yourself with it, but once dialed in, it doesn't take the level of concentration the R41 does.

marty

I don't have the R41, but do have the King C. Gillette. The SLOC /Mellon is slightly more aggressive but smooth. It's cheap if you get just the mellon head from Aliexpress.

My top two favorites are the Winning Razor and the Game Changer .68OC. The winning razor isn't aggressive, but it gives me a much better shave than the KCG. The .68OC is a little past your stated budget, but I find that it can handle several days growth or daily shaves well. Razorock lists the SLOC as more aggressive than the .68OC, but the opposite has been my experience.

Interesting conversation, can’t add anything as all the DE, SE and SRs I have are of the vintage variety and that isn’t where your interest is. I wish you luck as I find the prospect of choosing amongst all of the newest offerings to be rather daunting, but lucky for you, the members here are an excellent resource.

There's plenty of razors to fill that gap since the King C and R41 are each others opposites an adjustable/interchangeable such as the Rockwell 6C or Merkur progress might be a good option so you can try out some different efficiency levels, Razorock's lupo's and Game changers are a nice option as well

my budget is about 50 USD/45 Euros max.
Muhle Companion safety razor.

At 39 Euros it's well within your budget.

It has a head that's designed to be more aggressive than an R89 so as to be able to handle longer hair, such as body hair or head hair.

If you are good with your hands, & have at least six months of experience shaving with a safety razor, you also have the option of modifying your KCG for some more aggression. A single shim under the blade should give you some aggression & it would cost you nothing other than a little time. A shim is made from an old, used blade using sandpaper (or a stone) to grind off the edges.

Last edited:
Muhle Companion safety razor.

If you are good with your hands, & have at least six months of experience shaving with a safety razor, you also have the option of modifying your KCG for some more aggression. A single shim under the blade should give you some aggression & it would cost you nothing other than a little time. A shim is made from an old, used blade using sandpaper (or a stone) to grind off the edges.
I'll look into the Muhle, thanks! Yeah now you remind me about shimming, I saw a youtube video where a guy just cuts off both cutting edges of a blade and puts it in the razor under the actual blade hmmmm yeah I might experiment with that a bit.

I'll look into the Muhle, thanks! Yeah now you remind me about shimming, I saw a youtube video where a guy just cuts off both cutting edges of a blade and puts it in the razor under the actual blade hmmmm yeah I might experiment with that a bit.
I recommend using sandpaper rather than trying to cut the edges off.

For more information, see here.

How about a Merkur Progress?
Fits your price range, it's adjustable so you could tone it down if the highest setting is too aggressive and it's a VERY smooth and comfy razor whilst being efficient.

I held off buying one for a while because of the knob but it's quite nice actually.
Makes it stand out. I can just about count all my razors on both hands, so my collection is humble when compared to most users on here. But the Progress really surprised me in the best possible way.

Top Bottom