What's new

Aggressive-ish razor between the King C. Gillette and the R41?

Hi guys, so these are the only two razors I've ever used. The KCG is too mild for my whiskers, I have to work really hard to get the whiskers off even with the sharpest blades and I don't get a close shave. The R41 cuts well enough and I get quite good shaves with it, but it's not a comfortable shave because I have to watch the angle so closely, if I hold it at 30 degrees it pulls so hard the shave becomes unbearable.

So I'm looking for a razor that is kind of in the middle of those two razors in terms of aggressiveness, my budget is about 50 USD/45 Euros max.
I've been looking at Parker 91R and the 99R, some Youtube reviews describe them as aggressive. Maybe some of you can confirm this? Or would you recommend other razors? Thanks.

I recommend the Parker 97 or 94. A great three piece razor. It gives a great shave on the aggressive side but very smooth. One of my favorite razors. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• Parker_Nivea.JPG
    Parker_Nivea.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The Fatip, particularly the open comb slant (FOCS) is likely a great choice for you. I say "likely" because as much as I wanted to like it, I could never get along with it. It is very smooth and very efficient, but inevitably it irritated my neck. But it's certainly worth trying. If it doesn't work out, it's usually easy enough to sell it on the BST.

If you can stretch your budget, I would suggest a brass Christopher Bradley (CB) from Karve. It will cost around $85-90 shipped to the US. I recently bought a brass CB with the "G" safety bar base plate. The total price was $100 CAD or $88 USD. It is right up there with the R41 in terms of efficiency, but it is a very smooth and comfortable shave. There are less aggressive safety bar options running from A to G, and a variety of open comb plates as well.

Rockwell 6C or the Razorock Game Changer .84. These two are some of my favorite razors and they both fit the agressive-ish category but less aggressive than R41 and still efficient enough for comfortable BBS results

Rockwell 6C or the Razorock Game Changer .84. These two are some of my favorite razors and they both fit the agressive-ish category but less aggressive than R41 and still efficient enough for comfortable BBS results
Although I still think the Karve is the way to go if you can stretch your budget, both the Rockwell 6C and Game Changer .84 are a bit less expensive and would also be great choices for you.

Last edited:
I think in your price range, a Fatip is the best match to what you're asking for but if the R41 doesn't shave comfortably for you, I'm not sure the Fatip will either. When you get into more aggressive razors, comfortable shaves mostly rely on good technique (and on soap and blades that work well for you too)

Hi guys, so these are the only two razors I've ever used. The KCG is too mild for my whiskers, I have to work really hard to get the whiskers off even with the sharpest blades and I don't get a close shave. The R41 cuts well enough and I get quite good shaves with it, but it's not a comfortable shave because I have to watch the angle so closely, if I hold it at 30 degrees it pulls so hard the shave becomes unbearable.

So I'm looking for a razor that is kind of in the middle of those two razors in terms of aggressiveness, my budget is about 50 USD/45 Euros max.
I've been looking at Parker 91R and the 99R, some Youtube reviews describe them as aggressive. Maybe some of you can confirm this? Or would you recommend other razors? Thanks.
If you already have the R41 have you tried "smoother" blades? I find the Astra SP or Gillette 7 o'clock yellow give a comfortable shave in my R41s. Cheaper than another razor.

I never got a smooth shave with the R41. It always felt like it was pulling my hairs out like you said. I switched to the Parker 94r and never looked back. Nice looking and don't cost much.

94.jpg

The R41 cuts well enough and I get quite good shaves with it, but it's not a comfortable shave because I have to watch the angle so closely, if I hold it at 30 degrees it pulls so hard the shave becomes unbearable.
I recommend using your R41 STEEP, i.e. with the teeth smoothing/stretching your skin in front of the "only just touching" blade.

But of course I'm biased, being a SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance) member. :wink2:

Thanks guys, you gave me lots of great suggestions! I will definitely check out the razors you suggested.
Just for reference, my 'problem' with the R41 is not fear of getting cut or the blade feel or anything like that. It's just that I have to hold it at an angle that feels unnatural to me. If I use a steep angle and ride the bar, the razor scrapes my face, it doesn't cut, it pulls and scrapes. So I tend to adjust the angle more to cap riding.
Oh and I tried all kinds of blades. Astras and Gillettes tug on my whiskers too much so I tend to overcompensate and press too much and take off pieces of skin, they tend to tug the hair out instead of cutting it cleanly.

Top Bottom