What's new

Aggressive boar brush break-in

For boar brushes I have a method that works to soften the tips very quickly and requires no overnight soaks. I posted this under another thread but I like it so much I thought I'd post it separately.

1) First I soak the knot in tepid water long enough to saturate the hair, a good 15 to 30 minutes.

2) Then I give the knot a couple of shampoo washes. Any shampoo will work, probably one without conditioner is best.

3) Then I shake out the brush well and immerse the tips, maybe half the knot or less, in near boiling water. I let them soak until the water cools a bit (maybe 15 - 30 minutes), then shake out the knot and repeat the process a few times. You will note the ends splitting already.

4) Let the brush dry a little bit and give it a good test lather with a scented soap.

5) Let the brush air dry for a minimum of 24 to 48 hours and you will return to a nicely broken-in brush with soft tips.

I've used this method on 2 Semogues and 1 Omega with good results so far.

Here are some photos of a new omega I treated this way some time ago. The tips are very soft and the backbone is endless. I call it my D01 boar :001_302:
2016_0328_10154600.jpg
2016_0328_10124500.jpg
2016_0328_10084700.jpg

Top Bottom