What's new

Aggression - Ranking by blade gap size

Excellent work! Do you have any information about the blade angle with the "New and Improved" Gillettes? The razors in series offer a primitive gap adjusting mechanism that is controlled by the TTO.

I'm having trouble "picturing" this but if I understand the situation ... it might be very difficult to tease apart the "gap" vs "angle" factors as they seem to be changing at the same time

&

Am I correct in thinking the blade angle - varied by how the razor is held - alters the angle over a larger range than the blade "bend"? If so the control of the angle of attack might fall to technique.

&

the basic question remains:
While there may be a theoretical difference would it be significant in practice?

Humans think to 5 significant digits but in real life we round to the closest 1/2 dozen "mostly" !

I don't know ...

Maybe I need a nap.
:smile:

Am I correct in thinking the blade angle - varied by how the razor is held - alters the angle over a larger range than the blade "bend"? If so the control of the angle of attack might fall to technique.

Yes, this is what happens, the blade "bend" as forced by the silo doors etc, is only one part of the story, then there is more room for angle adjustment by the operator, and the practical range of this factor is increased when the gap is larger.

Just curious, how did you measure these numbers so precisely, or more specifically, what did you use and where can I get one?

Very interesting and ingenious technique. That could work for a lot of small things.

I had just assumed that you were using a gauge of some sort. Good thinking and good job.

I used a feeler gauge and measured my SuperSpeed (no datecode so probably 1947-1949). I got 24 on one side and 26 on the other.

Looks like a good way to make accurate measurements. The variation over the length of the blade is typical. I'll add the data as .025

Thanks for your help

Possible "gang of razors" being arrested as we speak for booking, mug shots & gap measurements ...
:biggrin:
will post asap

There's another factor to this that some may not have considered... blade protrusion.

For example, when a blade is loaded in my HD, the blade fits pretty well inside the gap between the cap and the safety bar. My slant, however, causes the blade to protrude beyond the gap between cap and safety bar, out into the open by a fraction of a mm. I have to say, I think this may be why the slant is so aggressive...

There's another factor to this that some may not have considered... blade protrusion.

For example, when a blade is loaded in my HD, the blade fits pretty well inside the gap between the cap and the safety bar. My slant, however, causes the blade to protrude beyond the gap between cap and safety bar, out into the open by a fraction of a mm. I have to say, I think this may be why the slant is so aggressive...

See my post in the parallel thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=582312

We ought to consolidate these threads...

Best - MM

So this goes for ANY Gillette Adjustable as the most Aggressive at the setting of 9? Please correct me if I'm wrong here...Also, what about Parker91r? I thought it was pretty darn aggressive.

Top Bottom