What's new

Aggression - Ranking by blade gap size

:biggrin: just an idea but it's very helpful ...

If you are able when commenting on the "aggressive" nature of a razor
- try to compare it with another model so it's "relative" position on a ranking list like the one below is possible.

GAP in 1/1000's of an inch [ +/- .001 inch ]
new value
15 [.38mm]
16 [.41mm] Gillette Adjustable @ 1
17 [.43mm]
18 [.46mm]
19 [.48mm] Ming Sui
20 [.51mm] Gillette Adjustable @ 3
21 [.53mm]
22 [.56mm] Weishi
23 [.58mm] Gillette TECH, Blue Tip
24 [.61mm]
25 [.64mm] Gillette NEW, SS (late 40's), Merkur HD/38C
26 [.66mm] SS Red Tip, Gillette Adjustable @ 5
27 [.69mm] US & English ARISTOCRATs
28 [.71mm]
29 [.74mm] Feather Portable
30 [.76mm]
31 [.79mm]
32 [.81mm]
33 [.84mm]
34 [.86mm]
35 [.89mm]
36 [.91mm] Gillette Adjustable @ 7
37 [.94mm]
38 [.97mm]
39 [.99mm]
40 [1.02mm]
41 [1.06mm]
42 [1.12mm] Gillette Adjustable @ 9

You can reasonably imagine where other razors would fall on this list from comments made by users.

With very few exceptions the impressions the razors give were matched by the gap size measurements.

Subjective differences in ranking were limited to +/- .001 measurements.

Differences of .001 or .002 can be considered functional equivalents.

J

Jarmo P

Nice work.
I am not sure how reliable that would be since true blade gap should be measured looking exactly at the the blade instead holding razor vertical.

But good job anyways :)

Nice work.
I am not sure how reliable that would be since true blade gap should be measured looking exactly at the the blade instead holding razor vertical.

Averaging was used to adjust for method weakness.

The accuracy is +/- .001 so the range is .003

The ranking is probably reliable however.

The subjective reports suggest a range of .006 is required to reliably place one sample as more/less aggressive.

The difference in looking at the blade edge vs vertical seemed to be less than .001 (beyond the ability of the method to actually measure but 5-6x smaller than most would notice in practice).

Great resource 2bits! Thanks for all your hard work! I hope you keep ranking them, but blade gap is only half the story, the blade angle also determines aggressiveness.

Great resource 2bits! Thanks for all your hard work! I hope you keep ranking them, but blade gap is only half the story, the blade angle also determines aggressiveness.

It would seem so - yet the simple gap measurement - produces a ranking that matches the subjective user reports.

It might be that the "angle" factor is too small over the most useful range of shaving gaps (.020 - .030) to make any perceivable difference.

Can you think of an example where the blade angle is "different" such that it results in a "larger gap" razor being judged as less aggressive than one with a smaller gap?

Nice job! Thanks. Where does the SuperSpeed fit in?

It is a little difficult to tease these apart with the average/measurement method used ...

The reports from users rank SS's
BLUE tip least aggressive and
RED tip most aggressive
with Silver/tan in between

The measurements don't contradict that but the range is small

BLUE at .023
Silver & Tan ... .024 or .025
&
RED at .026

Given the range of measurement accuracy the
low (Blue) could be .022
and high Red could be .027

& this is about what an adjustable might range from set from 3 to 5
and may be what Gillette would see as a suitable range for 3 variations of the same model.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have a '48 SS and a flange-tailed one from the "50's. That's what I meant by SS. Neither have any color on the ends.

Thanks.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have a '48 SS and a flange-tailed one from the "50's. That's what I meant by SS. Neither have any color on the ends.

Thanks.

Haven't had a sample to measure myself and data from others not yet available for your particular case ... stay tuned ... will pass on info as I am able.

Great resource! I also want to know if the adjustable is a slim or fatboy (hope I didn't miss the answer in another post)

Dave

It would seem so - yet the simple gap measurement - produces a ranking that matches the subjective user reports.

It might be that the "angle" factor is too small over the most useful range of shaving gaps (.020 - .030) to make any perceivable difference.

Can you think of an example where the blade angle is "different" such that it results in a "larger gap" razor being judged as less aggressive than one with a smaller gap?

Hmm no I can't, but I would love to see where the un-notched Ranger Tech and Aristocrats sit on that chart compared to a SS and say a President.

It is a great reference chart and maybe someone can add it to the Wiki page once you get more Gillette's added.

Excellent work! Do you have any information about the blade angle with the "New and Improved" Gillettes? The razors in series offer a primitive gap adjusting mechanism that is controlled by the TTO.

That's one way to get your hands on a tan tip.

Interesting info.

Doh!
and I thought no one would notice

Can't fool guys who use sharp pointy things on their faces!
They seem to pay attention to what's going on :biggrin:

Top Bottom