What's new

Aggresiveness

Even after 13 years, I still keep going back to my Merkur 34G. It's so comfortable in my hand. Before switching razors, try a more aggressive blade. Experimenting with blades is cheaper than DE. IP reds and Astra SP were fine in my 34 when I shaved every two days. Being retired and shaving every 5-7 days since Covid, I've switched to a RR GameChanger .68. I found their original barberpole handle a bit too long, and recently bought their shorter, thick handle. I also switched to these sharper (but not Feather or yellow 7 O'clock sharp) blades.

+1 on the suggestion of a sharper blade.

Unless the OP is already using a super sharp blade like Feather, BIC, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Premium black or PermaSharp Super, even a mild razor can achieve greater efficiency using a sharper blade.

My most aggressive razor is the Muhle R41. However, it is so aggressive that it feels harsh on my face unless I use a less sharp blade like the 7 O'Clock SharpEdge yellow. Although the SharpEdge name implies that it is very sharp, it is really a smooth, mid-sharp blade. I can achieve the same efficiency using a less aggressive razor with a sharper blade. Thus, the R41 stays in the drawer most of the time.

If I put one of the super sharp blade I listed previously in my very mild Weishi made SuperSpeed clone, I can get an excellent shave. Normally, the TTO is reserved for my cleanup pass after using other more efficient razors.

If you love the 34C, the natural progression would be the 37C slant. You'll love it even more!
It's got the right amount of agressiveness that the 34C lacks. You'll essentially get a super smooth shave but with more efficiency. It's a fantastic razor that I've since put in the top 2 out of all my modern & vintage razors.
Check out this thread I made if you'd like. It's got information about the 37C. It was initially about the Hoffritz slant (vintage 37C) but it evolved to the actual 37C when I bought one a couple weeks ago:
+1

Merkur 37C is the first DE razor which made me woaw. It is a user friendly slant which gives comfortable shaves without blade feel.

RR German Slant 37 and Fatip Slants(including FOCS) are relatively more aggressive compared to Merkur 37C.

A little bit testimonials; I initiated 6 of my friends to the wet shaving. 4 among this 6 are minimalist and 2 of them becomes collector. These 2, tried their Merkur 37C on their third month in wet shaving and liked a lot. This two, still use and appreciate Merkur 37C.

The Envoy is supposed to be equivalent to blade setting 3 on a Rex ambassador, which has 6 settings. So that would of course make it somewhere in the middle. I think a lot bloodshed that is blamed on either a particular razor or blade, is in many cases just poor technique. 🤔
Certainly very true. I’ve gone back to using razors that I had categorised as too mild or two aggressive several years ago, but which nowadays cause no problems at all. As you say, it’s a question of technique and of having the patience to learn to shave- and that can take a long time. Three years back my face was a mess after using a FaTip Grande, for example. Today it’s BBS every time.
My Dad used to say there are no bad soldiers, only bad officers. I’m becoming more and more convinced that - with certain exceptions, of course- shaving problems tend to be the fault of the one doing the shaving, not the razor or the blade.

Top Bottom