What's new

Ageing without hoarding

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Done!

IMG_20200925_202839.jpg

Stems and ferrules will be kept as spares for cobs, but that birch wood is gone!

One way or another, by the end of the year, every non-sitting pipe (6 of them) will be gone too. With nine pipes hovering by the exit door, or already gone, that's made a very significant correction to my humble array.

Money lost, but wisdom gained.

Now, contact one of the many reasonably priced artisan carvers out there and commission yourself one fine sitter more to your liking. You've earned it!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Now, contact one of the many reasonably priced artisan carvers out there and commission yourself one fine sitter more to your liking. You've earned it!

Ha! Nope! :tongue_sm

A Falcon will be next. I know what I want to get, but "The Moderator" won't let me have it yet.

IMG_20200925_225644.jpg

Only £10 in there, and I need around £40, so that's at least 30 bowls away, assuming I don't need anything in the meantime. £1 goes in for each bowl smoked, at 3-5 bowls a week on average, and nothing gets bought (pipe, tobacco, cleaners, filters... ) until the money is in there to cover it... and postage.

An artisan purchase is several years away. If ever.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That would be cool though. Knowing an artisan made that just for you. I think I just found a retirement gift to myself (20 years from now). Otherwise I could never justify the cost to myself, let alone Mrs. Rookie.

I must admit, I would like a sitting horn/zulu/dublin, and a custom is probably the way to go.

But I can wait.

Having "The Moderator" keeping spending in line with the actual enjoyment I get from smoking, is a great thing for me to have. I don't want to be just buying stuff endlessly, sticking it in a drawer, and not getting any fun with it. I've already got three new pipes to look forward to this year, and feeling the urge to get another when there's only 10 bowls smoked since those three arrived, is a great reality check.

I'm lucky that at the moment, I'm smoking tobacco I don't have to replace, so whatever is in the tin can be directed to a new pipe, so long as I don't need any of the ancillaries (cleaners, filters, etc). That means the Falcon is in sight, albeit in 20-30 bowls time. If it works for me, there might even be slack in the system for diverting the next tin full towards a meer bowl, before I need to start thinking about tobacco replenishment.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I forgot the pic... :facep:

With the nine evictees out of the drawer, "Big Ugly" (Molina Hobby, centre box) has gone back in on Lakeland duty.

IMG_20200926_025329_edit.jpg

There should just about be enough room now in the two left hand sections to squeeze in the three new pipes I have squirrelled away for later, and also a Falcon. I was thinking that the right hand box could do with a couple more small cobs, but that money might be better spent on Falcon bowls if it works well for me whenever I get it.

I can manage with what's in there for now. There's at least one dedicated pipe per genre, plus a few wildcards. There's certainly a shortage of smaller bowls now, just the Mr Brog Puella (on VaPer duty), a Rob Roy Legend, and a Mizzou remain. They're going to be busy pipes for the next few months :D The Ben Wade Lightweight Reader and the Falcon will balance those out in time though.

Well, I had thought I'd avoided duplicates, with the exception of the three tins of Ye Olde Signe, but apparently that's not the case. After a bit of reading, I discovered I have a few clones, albeit under different names.

I was already aware of the parallel Dunhill tributes with Peterson and Charatan, and had steered clear of doubling up there, but hadn't realised that Rattray's had some Peterson clones too. So not only do I have a tin of University Flake but Wallace Flake is essentially the same blend reborn after Peterson switched blenders. I did have Irish Flake on the wishlist too, but it seems I already have that now, under the guise of Stirling Flake.

Then there's Ashtons and Chieftain. I did have my suspicions about these to be fair, but it was only after purchasing that I found some vague confirmation. As such I have Artisan's Blend duplicated as Blacksmith's Blend, and Consummate Gentleman duplicated as Roberts Mixture. Apparently Ashtons are disappearing from the market, and Chieftain are carrying forward some of their blends. Thankfully, I didn't duplicate Stormy Skye with Rainy Days.

It's a rather incestuous world the tobacco blending scene, isn't it?

Not to worry, Irish Flake was on the wishlist anyway, University Flake is good enough to own two tins of, and the write up on the Ashtons/Chieftains sounds quite promising. Besides which, they might all taste different smoked a couple of years apart anyway :)
I don’t think the Peterson/Dunhill blends are tributes as such. They’re made by STG, who were making them for Dunhill/BAT for years, before they disappeared off the market for a couple of years. So they’re the same Dunhill blends made by the same company in the same factory as far as I’m aware (just with a different name - a strange choice to rebrand them as Peterson but maybe they bought the blend names and not the company name?). I had a tin of Dunhill EMP recently and I just opened a tin of Peterson EMP and it’s exactly the same.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don’t think the Peterson/Dunhill blends are tributes as such. They’re made by STG, who were making them for Dunhill/BAT for years, before they disappeared off the market for a couple of years. So they’re the same Dunhill blends made by the same company in the same factory as far as I’m aware (just with a different name - a strange choice to rebrand them as Peterson but maybe they bought the blend names and not the company name?). I had a tin of Dunhill EMP recently and I just opened a tin of Peterson EMP and it’s exactly the same.

Yeah, the Dunhill brand name is still going strong, and not for sale. They just decided to drop that line of products again (not the first time, I understand). I think the Charatan blends are tributes, as while they bought the Charatan name from Dunhill, they didn't buy the recipes, as presumably Peterson’s had already taken the rights for the blends. I haven't tried any of the Peterson branded blends yet, just a couple of the Charatans.

Yeah, the Dunhill brand name is still going strong, and not for sale. They just decided to drop that line of products again (not the first time, I understand). I think the Charatan blends are tributes, as while they bought the Charatan name from Dunhill, they didn't buy the recipes, as presumably Peterson’s had already taken the rights for the blends. I haven't tried any of the Peterson branded blends yet, just a couple of the Charatans.
I've tried Royal Yacht, Nightcap, EMP and My Mixture 965. They're all good (to me anyway) but EMP was the only one I could compare to the STG Dunhill blend before they acquired the rights to it and changed the name to Peterson.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've tried Royal Yacht, Nightcap, EMP and My Mixture 965. They're all good (to me anyway) but EMP was the only one I could compare to the STG Dunhill blend before they acquired the rights to it and changed the name to Peterson.

Charatan's equivalent to Early Morning Pipe is First Bowl. I think that was the first of my samples to go into the reject blend. There was a kind of aniseed type edge to it, which really didn't work for me. Their equivalent of Nightcap (Eventide) joined it shortly after. Far too Latakia heavy for me. I did enjoy Rolls, Victorian Mixture, and Black Flake though.

Charatan's equivalent to Early Morning Pipe is First Bowl. I think that was the first of my samples to go into the reject blend. There was a kind of aniseed type edge to it, which really didn't work for me. Their equivalent of Nightcap (Eventide) joined it shortly after. Far too Latakia heavy for me. I did enjoy Rolls, Victorian Mixture, and Black Flake though.
I don't get anything like aniseed from EMP. It's a little salty, mildly spicy maybe. Nightcap is much more pungent but I love it. I'm guessing Victorian is Elizabethan, Black Flake is Dark Flake and Rolls is Navy Rolls.

EDIT: I'm going to throw this phone out the window if it doesn't stop editing my words, turning Victorian into Victoria and Elizabethen into Elizabeth. :mad3:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't get anything like aniseed from EMP. It's a little salty, mildly spicy maybe. Nightcap is much more pungent but I love it. I'm guessing Victorian is Elizabethan, Black Flake is Dark Flake and Rolls is Navy Rolls.

EDIT: I'm going to throw this phone out the window if it doesn't stop editing my words, turning Victorian into Victoria and Elizabethen into Elizabeth. :mad3:

🤣 Yes, you guessed correct.

I do want to try Deluxe Navy Rolls at some point, as that is sufficiently different to make it worth the "duplication". I did buy a full tin of Victorian Mixture based off the sample though.

However, everything is still fairly new to me, as I stuck to quite a narrow range of tobaccos for the first 7 years of pipe smoking. I just finished a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth Reunion (Bourbon) Flake earlier, and I love it. Apparently it'll be available in tins soon, and I need to be sure to put that on the repeat buy list.

Top Bottom