age of DE razor users ?

Age ?

• 20-30

• 30-40

• 40-50

• 50-60

• 60+

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am 22, started DE shave a year ago...Mach3 and Fusion was irritating , especially for neck area, then I bought expensive Philips aquatouch 9000 series with clean station, much better results and less iritation..A year ago I completely transfered to DE, brush and soap and I don't have any irritation anymore...Best possible decision in my shave career..

33. In February I’ll be 34

Do you kick yourself when you think about all the vintage soap pucks that are being sold for crazy money these days? When you could have bought them so cheaply and hoarded them? Williams, Old Spice, Colgate....

You may be one of the few members here that have been traditional shaving for over half a century. My hats off sir.

Ya know...just think about when you were a young buck just starting out. You never ever thought that in the year 2010 you’d join an online forum dedicated to traditional wet shaving.

Let’s take this a step further. Think back to when you first picked up the DE (or straight) razor. Now think about what you or people you know or the world was saying about the year 2010. Or now. Flying cars? Time travel? What was it?

I am shocked by how expensive those vintage soaps sell for. Back when I started shaving you could pick up any soap for a dollar or two. I remember when Williams was a good soap that was easy to lather! :001_rolle

I found B&B doing an Internet search for a shaving cream that my son gifted me and that I wanted to replace. I saw a review of it on B&B and started reading. I think I spent four hours reading various threads and joined that day and became a contributor.

When I started shaving there was no Internet and I never thought there would be a forum like it. Nor did I think folks would collect razors, brushes, software, etc. Prior to joining B&B, I used one or two brushes until they had to be replaced. I was not concerned about how soft a brush felt on my face - just did it have enough backbone to make lather. Soap scent was not something that I gave a second thought.

I started shaving in 1956. Things I remember from then:
  • I lived in NYC back then. Gas was .25 a gallon. Gas attendants pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, and checked your oil.
  • A new car cost less than $3,000.
  • The big movie was "The Ten Commandments."
  • The first hard drive for a computer came out. IBM produced it. It weighed about a ton and stored a whopping 5 MB of data.
  • You traveled coast to coast on turboprop airplanes. When you traveled on an airplane you wore a suit. Meals were served and you got a small sample pack of cigarettes with your tray.
  • Black and white TVs became popular and such shows as Alfred Hitchcock, Milton Berle, Gillette Calvacade of Sports, Dragnet, and Candid Camera were popular.
  • There were a number of TV shows dealing with adventures in space. Flash Gordon was a favorite. You could see the guide wires attached to the spaceship and its exhaust looked like sparklers. Other shows: Buck Rogers; Tom Corbett, Space Cadet; and Rocky Jones all gave rise to speculation about landing on the moon and space travel.
  • Even though I lived in Queens, NY, we never locked our car doors and rarely locked our front door.
  • Elvis Presley appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show. The censors only showed his upper body.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
3,000 bucks in 1956 is equal to about 27k today. And .25 is roughly 2.25 today. So the prices are still kind of on par with cars and gas today. What really changed was the service.

The internet changed the world!

3,000 bucks in 1956 is equal to about 27k today. And .25 is roughly 2.25 today. So the prices are still kind of on par with cars and gas today. What really changed was the service.

The internet changed the world!

Here is what you could have bought back then for $2,380. Small cars were not known.

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Right! 27k today get’s you a basic 4 door. And it has to be a car. Not touching a truck for 27k.

74 this month. It sounds strange every time I say that out loud :)

I do remember shaving in my teens, with a nice new Gillette in a plastic case and Gillette blades. No idea what model of Gillette it was, but would have been about 1955 or 56. Things I remember about shaving with it back then,
  • lots of mornings with pieces of toilet paper stuck to my face
  • I don't think the blades were all that great compared to today's Feathers, Astras, etc., but maybe it was me
  • tubes of 'Lather or Brushless'. Palmolive? it was a red tube, the cream was red/pink, squeezed it out of the tube onto the brush, and it made a great lather
My twenties were mostly shave-less, with a full beard and moustache. In my late 20s, picked up an old straight and barbers hone, and managed to scrape my face with it for quite a few years. Then things got busy and I fell for the disposables and later carts. Shaving became a chore.

A couple of years ago I got nostalgic and went looking for a DE razor. No luck, until on the web I discovered this fantastic renaissance that we have now. I now have 3 straights, three DEs (two more on the way), soaps, splashes, balms. I look forward to shaving every morning.

Got a gillette fusion 5 blade in my stocking when I was 15 could not really grow facial hair other than a terrible mustache. I shaved with that until I was 18, bought a straight from Larry at whipped dog for my 18th birthday and shaved the last three or so years with that. Now I'm 21 and I have started using DE for convenience. So I actually started wet shaving in my teens. I prefer the DE actually for reasons other than convenience now smoother, more consistent shaves, with even less irritation than the straight. Now I'm looking forward to the next 60 years of shaving and collecting.

Im 40 and started about 4 years ago. Wish I knew when I was in my teens.

I have fond memories of 'shaving' with my dad when I was a kid, he would give me his old TTO with no blade in it and we would have Barbasol all over the bathroom lol. Now my son, 10, and even my daughter, 5, 'shave' with me. Each has their own cheapie razor, brush, soap and stand

Top Bottom