What's new

Age Estimates of a Wade and Butcher?

The grind looks like a near wedge to my eyes. I agree with @Legion that the scales look line bone.

Not sure if there is or is not a way to prove that the scales are bone.

Bone has what are called Haversian canals, which carried nerves and blood vessels when the animal was alive. The brownish spots and streaks visible in a couple of the photos look like Haversian canals from here.

With the lack of curve on the scales, the thin tail, the full wedge grind and the three fletches it seems somewhat early 1800s. However, the tang stamp appears to be etched rather than stamped. Although they didn't stop stamping at a really specific period, I don't know that I've seen etched tang stamps prior to 1850 so my guess would be sometime in the 1850s. (That said, if someone with better experience has a more accurate understanding of when tang stamps started being etched, I would take their input.)

Acier Fondu says 3 fletchings on arrow is late 19th century.

1677634482886.png

I'd be inclined to second a late 19th c estimate. I have a similar quarter hollow to near wedge with a nearly straight spine that was made post 1891 based on the etch including a country of origin. I'd hazard a guess at 1860s-80s or thereabout.

Top Bottom