What's new

Age and problems using a straight

As a middle aged chap (47) I have been slowly noticing it is becoming harder to hold my straights during shaves and I was wandering whether others are also experiencing this concern. My hands are rock steady (thankfully) but the fingers are stiffening from the onset of arthritis probably, particularly on cold mornings. Where others have already been through this stage, do you have any (serious) tips for guys like me. Change of grip, etc. I would prefer straight shaving rather than switching to DE at this time, but obviously acknowledge the time will come to change eventually (which is why I have already stockpiled a huge amount of DE razors and blades :001_smile).

At 59 I feel your pain! (literally!) I've found that wrapping my hands around a hot cuppa helps before shaving =). That and a couple of aspirin! Work on your honing skills! Un-pigmented (white) whiskers are much tougher than the pigmented ones. You'll want a sharper razor, and probably need to touch it up more often... This gettin' old stuff is for the birds! =)

I am in between you two (52). I shower and shave after my morning exercise, so my hands are up-and-at-'em.

Then the rest of me goes back to bed. lol

Heat for stiff hands is amazing. Maybe a hot towel for the face and hands. Even holding them under hot water. For guitar playing, some hot water can stand in amazingly well for time spent warming up on the guitar itself. Hand prep: who would'a thunk it?

Drink more water!

Im approaching 70 but thankfully no hand arthritic issues with the straights!
if I ever get an episode, I'll take an Advil, a glas of tonic water, or simply a shot of orange juice.

keep those joints limber!
Did I say, drink more water?!

Drink more water!

Im approaching 70 but thankfully no hand arthritic issues with the straights!
if I ever get an episode, I'll take an Advil, a glas of tonic water, or simply a shot of orange juice.

keep those joints limber!
Did I say, drink more water?!
My doc days hydration is a big factor. I'm in my early 40's and suddenly developed a neck issue. My hands have been an issue for some time but only if I attempt the death grip, regular manipulation of a razor is comfortable. My problem is the discs in my neck are slight degenerated so when I lift my head to shave AND raise my hands...my hands go numb. THAT is a bad thing. Doc says as bad as this may sound (or look on film or MRI) most of us in our 40's and up have discs in similar condition. The difference between MY problem and your being just fine can be as simple as HYDRATION and level of activity (strength of the muscle that support the neck). He said to walk 3 miles a day and drink lots of water.

Thanks guys. Interesting comments, particularly with water intake, which I must admit is probably much less than it could be. I shall start to rectify this beginning today. I do have the neck problems starting as well which is a good point and I have had rare hand numbness which I forgot until I read CbLindsay's comment. It's interesting to note but shaving is more than just hair removal, when these other factors are taken into account, it becomes a wholistic experience!

Rheumatoid arthritis for about 30 years. My face keeps asking my brain "are you really going to shave with those hands?"

I fill the sink with hot water and soak my hands, flexing the joints in the water for a minute helps a lot. Hydration and exercise helps a lot. I build custom fishing rods, carve smoking pipes, turn shaving brushes and restore/hone straight razors. You have to keep those hands moving or they will quit on you. Keep them doing something even when it hurts a little. Hope this helps.

Time for the nurse to chime in here. First of all Alpster you are an inspiration and I applaud your tenacious determination and old fashioned toughness!! That ladies and gentlemen is what you call a man's man! RA is positively evil and it takes some real grit to deal with it. I am 51 and much of what has been said here is on the right track. Water is important. Heat helps. Learning to shave in the evening will help as well. The stiffness eases with exercise and movement so for many, our joints feel better after we have been moving all day. Lastly I would mention that if your doc places you on blood thinners you should consider being done with straights. Ask your doc of course, but most will tell you that blood thinners mean an end to straight shaving.

Large container of water with a squeezed lemon juice and a table spoon of maple syrup if you get tired of regular water.

Would that include low dose (81mg) aspirin?

Aspirin's ability to thin the blood is largely independent of the dose. Low dose thins as well as higher doses. The docs like the low dose because it carries fewer stomach side effects. Not having your complete labs and not being your doc makes me making a recommendation here a bit of a bad idea, but I would suggest asking your doc. Just to many things going on for me to say one way or another. Platelet count, bleeding times, H&H,,, blah blah blah. There is doc stuff and nurse stuff and I have to be careful to keep my oar out of their water.

Aspirin's ability to thin the blood is largely independent of the dose. Low dose thins as well as higher doses. The docs like the low dose because it carries fewer stomach side effects. Not having your complete labs and not being your doc makes me making a recommendation here a bit of a bad idea, but I would suggest asking your doc. Just to many things going on for me to say one way or another. Platelet count, bleeding times, H&H,,, blah blah blah. There is doc stuff and nurse stuff and I have to be careful to keep my oar out of their water.

My labs are good, and I'm sure my doc would tell me to have at it so long as he didn't have to sew an ear back on =) I asked because there are blood thinners (aspirin), and there are blood thinners (Warfarin)! =)

My labs are good, and I'm sure my doc would tell me to have at it so long as he didn't have to sew an ear back on =) I asked because there are blood thinners (aspirin), and there are blood thinners (Warfarin)! =)

Oh my yes! Actually a couple drinks thins our blood a little, but not enough to worry about unless you are getting carried away.

[MENTION=1837]brian[/MENTION] - Thanks for your kind words, but don't confuse my selfish determination with toughness. Some who know me well, would prefer I back off on the grit a little. :blush: I get out of bed by God's grace every day. I'll be 60 this year and am grateful for every shave. BTW my wife is an RN and that helps a lot!

For the OP, to quote the Outlaw Josey Wales -"if you give up, you neither win nor live." Keep on keeping on!

Top Bottom