What's new

Against the grain it hurts it hurts.....

Folks i need tip how to shave against the grain on neck area. When I did it did hurt and was very difficult with astra sp blade. It was the second shave with the blade so it should be good. Any tips would help. The hairs on neck on right side grow towards right so i have to shave from right toward left and the hairs on left of neck grow down so i have to shave bottom to top to shave against the grain. I did use the astra sp yesterday very smooth but today one thing I did was only shave atg since i wanted to get rid of stubble on neck. I just want a baby smooth shave which i sort of have but had to really scrape atg to get rid of it.
Maybe i need a feather blade to shave atg? I used a utopia saftey razor and gilette foam and astra sp blade. Omega bristle shaving brush.

Thanks,

Ben

My only advice is that you might want to trade the foam for one of the many highly spoken of shaving soaps. Something slicker might help.

First off, is your razor holding the blade tightly? Do you have the correct angle? How is your pressure? These are contribute to success or failure.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I am no expert, however, there are some areas of my neck that I never go XTG as it is not worth the irritation. Are you sure you need to to? I can get BBS on every other part of my face and head, but my one trouble spot likes to be left alone after a WTG and ATG.

I was told by pros on BB to shave with a regular safety razor not the qshave adjustable to begin with. I will check if the blade is held right. Ill check the angle again. I felt I had to apply lots of pressure and scrape multiple times just to get rid of stubble. It was so stubborn. I'll use the williams soap till i get the arko soap and make a manual lather.

I'm in agreement with @DCRIII but also it's possible that you're going ATG too soon, before you've reduced enough hair with your previous pass. Either way, it shouldn't hurt.

Also, for me personally, Astra blades tend to tug a lot, I just don't find them sharp enough, but many here love them. Could be this is what you are experiencing as well, maybe they are just not a good fit for you?

I'm in agreement with @DCRIII but also it's possible that you're going ATG too soon, before you've reduced enough hair with your previous pass. Either way, it shouldn't hurt.

Also, for me personally, Astra blades tend to tug a lot, I just don't find them sharp enough, but many here love them. Could be this is what you are experiencing as well, maybe they are just not a good fit for you?
Ok ill try that i do get a dfs and baby smooth most of face when I do 3 pass shave but wanted a baby smooth shave on neck-no stubble so I had just shaved yesterday so I thought I would just do ATG. I do enjoy saftey razors and when I did 3 pass shave astra sp was really smooth.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

I have a similar difficult spot on that part of my neck. What works for me is first pass on the neck is downward. Then I shave upwards (XTG). Finally I go right to left with a bit of an angle on the lower part of my neck. At that point its essential to use NO pressure or the blade will bite. Don't try too hard. leaving a miniscule amount of stubble in the problem areas is better than going all day with an irritated neck. As @DCRIII said good, wet shaving soap applied with a brush helps a lot.

I thought I would just do ATG.

I'd suggest that that right there is the primary cause of your discomfort. Traditional shaving is about whisker reduction, further and further with each pass. WTG first for the main reduction regardless of how long ago you last shaved. After that XTG and ATG become a matter of preference and ability.

If you are only planning on doing one pass, make it WTG.

Thanks for all replies so far. I will continue doing 3 pass start with wtg first!

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DC using Tapatalk

I don't find it worthwhile on the neck. Across gets me close enough. Against the grain can cause pulling or pain, and even when it works amazing, I tend to get razor burn or ingrown hairs as a result. So, I abandoned against the grain on the neck a long time ago. Still gets me a DFS, but also better skin. It is your shave, so do what works best for you.

I always do WTG, XTG, ATG and then touch ups ever day. Total BBS shave with no irritation unless I get in a hurry. I agree with others on ditching the foam as well. Just take your time, pay attention to your technique and pressure and you’ll be getting great shaved in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told by pros on BB to shave with a regular safety razor not the qshave adjustable to begin with. I will check if the blade is held right. Ill check the angle again. I felt I had to apply lots of pressure and scrape multiple times just to get rid of stubble. It was so stubborn. I'll use the williams soap till i get the arko soap and make a manual lather.

Okay...STOP with the lots of pressure. Be gentle. Light touch.

It doesn't take pressure to cut hair with a blade so pressure is what is causing your irritation. If ATG is causing the problem, don't do ATG. Do WTG and XTG and if it is still rough in one area, re-lather and do it WTG again.

I mainly to North South and South North on the neck. If there is a rough spot I'll vary the angle a bit but not to the point where the blade gets stuck without pressure. Pressure is never the answer to a good shave.

There are no "pros" in shaving. Just do what works and don't hurt yourself is the goal for everyone. :)

First necks are more sensitive than face shaving. So you might want to keep it to wtg/xtg. I'm not familiar with your razor, but maybe it's too aggressive. Consider a Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger 89. Astra SP blades work real well for me and shouldn't cause alot of irritation. Also, pre shave oil or soap might be helpful. AOS has a pre shave oil, or Jack Black makes a pre/post/shave cream which you can use for any of those uses. Occasionally I use it as a pre shave and lather over it, I find the blades glide on the skin. Hope this helps.

Maybe i need a feather blade to shave atg? I used a utopia saftey razor and gilette foam and astra sp blade. Omega bristle shaving brush.
A feather blade is not a panacea for good technique and you need to work on that aspect to achieve improvement which takes a little time. The other aspects to a good shave are preparation and good lather which are important to preparing the stubble and providing slickness for the blade to glide over the skin.

One thing I would add is that I can’t judge a shave the very instant after I do the pass, usually after 20 minutes or so when the aftershave has worked into the skin that I feel smooth, some others can but I would suggest like others have, no pressure and no scraping, do the pass and leave it alone, then whenever you are done with you post shave routine feel your skin, you might be surprise if you achieve smoothness even if it didnt seem like it right away.

Top Bottom