What's new

Aftershaves with "staying power"?

English Leather. Which dates back to at least the early 1980s or late 1970s. That stuff has staying power. Hours of it.
View attachment 1246019

I started wearing English Leather cologne back in the early 1970's when Mem still owned the company and it came in a wooden box! I bought the recent version by Dana a few years ago and will probably buy their aftershave soon. How long ago did you buy the aftershave? They stopped producing it for a few years until last year. The box used to state that the ingredients were made in the USA but it was bottled in China! That certainly can't help with maintaining the freshness of the fragrance oils. I hoped they stopped that nonsense of sending the mixture to Asia and then having the bottles shipped back to the USA.

Can you imagine a company having the gonads to pull off an advertising campaign like "Hai Karate" these days!? It rises to an almost "Blazing Saddles" level of irreverence...

You won't even see ad campaigns like this anymore and unfortunately we'll probably never see Dana or Proctor & Gamble manufacture cool, novelty gift sets either. Old Spice and English Leather came in many flavors, including shaving pucks and a terrific musk shaving cream for English Leather.

1618226987945.png

Phoenix Artisan Accourtments has some serious staying power, I'm a fan of their stuff! I think you will be too!
Staying power in an aftershave can be a good thing for some but I am finding it isn't necessarily good for me. I purchased the PAA Twee!(Green Irish Tweed homage) and F Bomb along with about nine samples of different aftershaves. PAA calls their product Aftershave/Colognes so right away it indicates a more powerful scent that is longer lasting. My experience is that without exception, PAA aftershaves cause irritation on my neck. I am trying to use them more like I would EDT due to this effect. I don't experience this with PAA soaps, just the aftershaves. I also react with Stirling Executive Man balm which has a long lasting scent. Again the soap isn't a problem. For me, unfortunately, I will have to stick with aftershaves that have a more fleeting scent and buy EDTs and EDPs if I want a longer lasting scent. I just want to add that I don't have this problem with Captain's Choice aftershaves and I know Scott does ample testing on his aftershaves before releasing them.

This question keeps resurfacing very often and I suspect its due to fundamental misconception about what aftershave is meant to provide. Spoiler alert: NOT lasting scent with "staying power".

A good quality aftershave, be it a splash, balm or gel will first and foremost treat the skin, typically containing (some of) the following ingredients:

> Aloe: healing, cicatrizant
> Calendula: nourishing, healing, calming, soothing
> Chamomile: soothing, antibacterial, soothing, refreshing
> Eucalyptus: balsamic, refreshing, antibacterial
> Mallow: soothing, moisturizing, decongestant, emollient
> Lavender: antibacterial, soothing
> Vitamin E: anti-inflammatory, emollient
> Witch hazel: purifying and decongestant
> Lemon: toning, anti-aging, firming
> Desert Date oil: moisturizing, emollient, soothing and toning
> Prickly pear extract: creates a protective film and gives deep hydration

In addition, it will contain water, alcohol and fragrance (and bunch of other stuff).

The concentration of the fragrance oils, will typically be 1%-2% and therefore no aftershave will ever have "staying power", projection or silage. It will always remain "skin scent" that fleets shortly after applying.

This question keeps resurfacing very often and I suspect its due to fundamental misconception about what aftershave is meant to provide. Spoiler alert: NOT lasting scent with "staying power".

A good quality aftershave, be it a splash, balm or gel will first and foremost treat the skin, typically containing (some of) the following ingredients:

> Aloe: healing, cicatrizant
> Calendula: nourishing, healing, calming, soothing
> Chamomile: soothing, antibacterial, soothing, refreshing
> Eucalyptus: balsamic, refreshing, antibacterial
> Mallow: soothing, moisturizing, decongestant, emollient
> Lavender: antibacterial, soothing
> Vitamin E: anti-inflammatory, emollient
> Witch hazel: purifying and decongestant
> Lemon: toning, anti-aging, firming
> Desert Date oil: moisturizing, emollient, soothing and toning
> Prickly pear extract: creates a protective film and gives deep hydration

In addition, it will contain water, alcohol and fragrance (and bunch of other stuff).

The concentration of the fragrance oils, will typically be 1%-2% and therefore no aftershave will ever have "staying power", projection or silage. It will always remain "skin scent" that fleets shortly after applying.

Thank you for your opinion.
Many of the aftershaves that have been suggested do, indeed, have all-day longevity, and several have quite strong silage.
Do you have anything to contribute to the OP's original question?

I was thinking, After shave with staying power and a higher concentration of perfume oils, what about Extro Cosmetics?
I have never tried this brand my self but the reviews are very good.
Apparently they hav a concentration of 10 % perfume oils and can be used as an edt as well as an AS.

I was thinking, After shave with staying power and a higher concentration of perfume oils, what about Extro Cosmetics?
Apparently they hav a concentration of 10 % perfume oils and can be used as an edt as well as an AS.
Good luck with that, as 10% fragrance oil can cause severe irritation if applied on a freshly shaved skin.

What you want in an aftershave is: Aftershaves with "staying power"? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/aftershaves-with-staying-power.596449/post-11218547, not high concentration of fragrance oil.

Haven't tried all of the Clubman products but the vanilla lasts all day for me. I've even swam and taken a shower and picked up the scent later in the day.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
English Leather. Which dates back to at least the early 1980s or late 1970s. That stuff has staying power. Hours of it.
View attachment 1246019
1940s. Originally called Russian Leather, its name was changed due to Cold War sensibilities. A lot of that in the 1950s. The Cincinnati National League Baseball Club temporarily changed its nickname to the Redlegs because of the Communist connections brought to mind by the name 'Reds.'

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have 2 of the these Orange Empire and Via Roma 14 Rivoluzione. The Orange Empire is very good it smells like freshly squeezed oranges with no chemical smell and the Via Roma smells like it said in the description, a sweet of a pastry beening made with hints of rum. I use the Via Roma in the autumn and winter a the Orange Empire in the summer with add menthol. I've had no irritation from both thank goodness as I love these scents. Both of these sents will hang around for around for 5 to 6 hours.

Top Bottom