What's new

Aftershaves that you’ve fallen out of love with

I seem to be repulsed by my old spice aftershave ( and cologne ) off late. Both seem to be last on my preference for scents recently. Not sure about the reason, but I’m guessing because i have a bigger collection to choose from now. I plan on keeping them since I might force myself to use them, but it might not be anytime soon.

It’s weird because i used to love old spice back in the day.

Any scents that you loved but can’t stand anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only one I can think of is Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal.
It's not that I hate it now, but I used to love it and lately it doesn't seem so special anymore.
It was my dad's after-shave in the '60's and earlier, so there was a lot of nostalgia attached to it.
Mostly though, I have a different experience.
Any after-shave or cologne that I used to like and wear still smells great to me, even if it's dated or I haven't worn it in years.
To wit: Azzaro, Polo, Kouros, Halston Z-14, Paco Rabanne, Pierre Cardin Musk, Drakkar Noir...and many others.
A few have lost their lustre and I can take them or leave them, eg: Canoe, British Sterling, Jade East, Brut.
And those that I didn't like back then, I still don't like, such as Aramis, Eau Sauvage, Lagerfeld.

The formulation for Old Spice has changed somewhat over the years as it has passed through different parent companies and complied with new regulations. However, your bottles may have simply gone bad from long-term storage. In many environments the alcohol can evaporate and the oils turn rancid, drastically changing the scent, and not for the better. This is what makes buying vintage bottles so risky.
Maybe get a fresh tester of Old Spice and see if you still feel the same.

I guess "falling out of love" would be too strong for me, but since I discovered "artisan" brands, like PAA and WSP, all my old "drugstore" aftershaves all see muted. To me, the artisan ones, even the clones of drugstore brands, really just POP in terms of scent, and have lots of face goodies as well. Downside: man, they can be EXPENSIVE!

I do still use them all, just reach for the artisan ones MUCH more.

all of the chatillon lux aftershave toners that i own (YRP, gratiot league and a couple others). it was the first set of AS i bought based on the high reviews, but i've since been able to compare/contrast it to other brands and now i no longer use them. it has an unpleasant 'sticky' characteristic and the scents are not as rich as others (compared to say fine, paa, stirling)

Old Spice is the least used aftershave in my cabinet. In my opinion, the scent seems to be lighter and watered down compared to the that from years past. The Boss Lady at the house has the same opinion so it must be true!

I had a great ASB that worked really well. The vanilla in the scent unfortunately wore out it's welcome. There are a number of scents I do not like and that is one. Fine in baking or ice cream though...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I had a great ASB that worked really well. The vanilla in the scent unfortunately wore out it's welcome. There are a number of scents I do not like and that is one. Fine in baking or ice cream though...

Agree. Fine in a candle...

Also: that caffeine-added aftershave - Pacific something? The mint just smells like chewing gum. I can't get past it.

AA

Also: that caffeine-added aftershave - Pacific something? The mint just smells like chewing gum. I can't get past it.

Perfect example of ymmv. I quite like that one (Except it’s too thick). But “smells like chewing gum” is in my wheelhouse whether it’s mint or fruit :eek2:.

Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man. I used to like it; I still love the cologne. But something about the scent of SDM aftershave makes me think of oats -- I keep imagining eating a bowl of Cheerios.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've rather left American drug store varieties behind and using European drug store varieties. Tabac, Speick, LaToja, Prorasso. To me they are a gentler scent. Some of the American ones are like getting mugged. Very intense, short lived experience. I really like the Christian Dior Suavage balm I got as a Christmas gift, but that is only for cold weather due to it's moisturizing. In the heat of summer I use no AS, maybe some witch hazel.

I think long term since I have oily skin, once I exhaust my current supply of AS, I will mostly switch to simply witch hazel (genuine 14% alcohol kind) and then use an EDT if I want some scent - plus the scent will last.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yes! Wrigley's Spearmint. The 4 gallon jug of Florida water I had smelled like Big Red gum to me. (I have since come to realize how much I like an AS is going to be inversely proportional to the size of the container it comes in - generally).

I used to love both Aqua Velva Musk and Brut (the cheap plastic bottle stuff) but both have changed. Thankfully Aqua Velva original sport still rocks.

Pinaud Clubman. Used to love the nice barbershop smell.... now all I smell is a powder bomb.

Completely agree. It really is way too strong (for me). I like getting it dabbed on my neck at the barber shop, but really he only uses a tiny bit on the shave line. Smearing it on my face after I shave is just too much.

I like Aqua Velva, but I also water that down a bit too to get it down to Williams strength.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Brut. I overdosed on it years ago and I still cannot use it to this day. My stepson gave me some years ago as a present. I think he was having a lend of me. I think it is still upstairs in his old bedroom. I put it up there when he left home.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
337.jpeg nothing wrong with it , I'm not a menthol lover and don't reach for it much

Top Bottom