What's new

Aftershaves that the oils separate?

One of my biggest pet peeves with Aftershaves from artisan soap makers, are the one's who's scent oils separate from the base. The oils just float on top of the aftershave and the bottle needs to be shaken well prior to use. I hate pouring aftershave into my hand and seeing little oil droplets on top.

The only aftershave that really had this problem before was Ogallala. Man their bay rum lit my face up the first time I used it, because I didn't realize you had to shake the bottle first and I got a ton of oil on my face. But now, this practice seems more common. A couple I can think of off the top of my head are First Line Shave and The Holy Black (at least the Jeckyll & Hyde set).

So, why do they do this? Is it the types of oils they use, or is something lacking in their base? Is it laziness, or a lack of understanding of chemistry?

I guess my main question is what can I do to fix it? Is there some sore of emulsifier or solvent I can add to the aftershave to get the oils to stay in solution?

First line shave is water and aloe based primarily so the oils don't dissolve well. An emulsifier should work, I don't mind it personally but emulsifying would make it easier to mix and it would stay mixed for longer.

One of my biggest pet peeves with Aftershaves from artisan soap makers, are the one's who's scent oils separate from the base. The oils just float on top of the aftershave and the bottle needs to be shaken well prior to use. I hate pouring aftershave into my hand and seeing little oil droplets on top.

...So, why do they do this? Is it the types of oils they use, or is something lacking in their base? Is it laziness, or a lack of understanding of chemistry?

I guess my main question is what can I do to fix it? Is there some sore of emulsifier or solvent I can add to the aftershave to get the oils to stay in solution?
It's very simple -- oils and water don't mix without some other ingredients to help them along. If you add an emulsifier, they will mix and stay mixed. Polysorbate-80, for example, is very inexpensive and you only need a small amount. It is a safe ingredient and very commonly used.

Could be a result of the all natural skincare market push. Many aftershave don't need to worry as their alcohol content is high enough for much of it to mix naturally.
Good point, high enough alcohol content should help. Of course, it would be all-natural alcohol from the finest chemical plants available.
:laugh:

Yeah, some of the fragrance oils have a tendency to rise to the top as do some additives. So, as others have stated it's a trade off between adding an emulsifier to prevent this from happening vs keeping it a bit more natural.

As to why most artisans don't bother. I suspect that, for the most part, most aftershaves that you buy are just alcohol, witchhazel and some fragrance oil to scent it. So the only thing really rising to the top is the fragrance oil. This doesn't happen with all fragrances as some fragrance molecules are larger than others. So some do mix well while others tend to separate. So it's one of those things where it's not normally a problem but it depends on the fragrance. So they don't bother to add an emulsifier as most of the time it's not an issue, and even when it is, it can be avoided by shaking the aftershave before use, which is something most people do anyway.

haking the aftershave before use, which is something most people do anyway.
Really? Why would you make a habit out of shaking an aftershave that doesn't need it? I only do it for the ones I have to for the oils sake.

Really? Why would you make a habit out of shaking an aftershave that doesn't need it? I only do it for the ones I have to for the oils sake.

Because you're adjusted to commercial products that don't need it. :)

The question is whether there's any water in it. You look at a bottle of, say, Captain's Choice, which I mention because I have their product in my hand. Nothing but alcohol, oil, and glycerin. Doesn't need shaking because everything is soluble in alcohol. The thing is, straight alcohol to the face after a shave is not necessarily the most pleasant thing. So AS makers commonly use water, especially since witch hazel extract is water soluble. But that then means that it's not all miscible, and that in turn means either shaking or adding polysorbate, which has a scary chemical name.

I wouldn't argue against having everyone either use only alcohol-soluble products or just use the polysorbate. There's nothing any more wrong with it than anything else in the bottle.

They don't want people to think their products are full of nasty chemicals? They don't think customers mind shaking up the container before each use? Just a guess.

+1! Definitely! Many folks don’t like to see chemicals in the list of ingredients, even if the chemicals help make the product better.

Because you're adjusted to commercial products that don't need it. :)
Aren't most people? Whether commercial or artisan, the number of aftershaves that actually require shaking is very small. So unless your den is made up of only a few artisans, and most of those do require shaking... then the norm for most people would be to not shake.
You look at a bottle of, say, Captain's Choice, which I mention because I have their product in my hand. Nothing but alcohol, oil, and glycerin.
And witch hazel, which is largely made of water. Right?

Aren't most people? Whether commercial or artisan, the number of aftershaves that actually require shaking is very small. So unless your den is made up of only a few artisans, and most of those do require shaking... then the norm for most people would be to not shake.

And witch hazel, which is largely made of water. Right?

Not unless the formula changed at some point. Mine calls out only alcohol, essential oils and fragrances, and glycerin on the label. That aside, witch hazel as normally bought is 14% alcohol and the rest water and witch hazel extract. No fragrance oil is miscible with that.

Simple, since most are in darker bottles... I can't see what's going on in there. I figure it wouldn't hurt to give it a quick shake and mix everything around a bit. That way I get the product as it was intended instead of a face full of fragrance oil or whatever else happens to be floating on top.

Simple, since most are in darker bottles... I can't see what's going on in there. I figure it wouldn't hurt to give it a quick shake and mix everything around a bit. That way I get the product as it was intended instead of a face full of fragrance oil or whatever else happens to be floating on top.

Makes sense, I just never even considered shaking a bottle, until I saw globs of oil separated in a couple of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not unless the formula changed at some point. Mine calls out only alcohol, essential oils and fragrances, and glycerin on the label. That aside, witch hazel as normally bought is 14% alcohol and the rest water and witch hazel extract. No fragrance oil is miscible with that.

Captains Choice has always had WH as an ingredient. Two of these bottles are brand new, and two are from very old stock.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom