What's new

aftershave with electric shaving?

Anybody else do this?

I think it helps. I use cheaper shavers that can occasionally produce a little irritation, and my skin tends to be dry. Moisturizing splashes (like Aqua Velva) or lightweight balms seem to work best. Also, plain jojoba oil seems to work as well. I have found Afta in particular to be good at killing irritation and keeping skin soft.

It definitely doesn't have to be as astringent or toning as a wet shave with a blade, however.

I always use some kind of aftershave product regardless of what I shaved with or if I even shaved at all as they serve purposes beyond simply post-shave care. I always use plain witch hazel on my face, neck, ears, behind my neck, and my head (If I am not letting my hair grow) because I have very oily blemish prone skin and live in Florida where it is very hot most of the year and very humid year round even when it's 'cold'. My skin really likes plain witch hazel. Now, I may use a lightly scented alcohol or witch hazel based after shave splash/mist if it's date night or I have an important meeting/event and this is solely to give my aura a scent boost but without the room clearing power of most colognes. I almost never use balms/gels but I occasionally get a touch of dry skin around my chin and cheeks if I spend a lengthy time out in the wind and for that I use a balm pretty much as a spot treatment.

In general (or in theory, atleast) an electric shaver should be causing less post shave trauma to your skin then a blade but it does still cause some especially if you were a bit overzealous with your pressure so it really doesn't hurt. If you use a device with a cleaning base then your shaver is getting a restorative aftershave so shouldn't you as well!? ;)

I always use some kind of aftershave product regardless of what I shaved with or if I even shaved at all as they serve purposes beyond simply post-shave care. I always use plain witch hazel on my face, neck, ears, behind my neck, and my head (If I am not letting my hair grow) because I have very oily blemish prone skin and live in Florida where it is very hot most of the year and very humid year round even when it's 'cold'. My skin really likes plain witch hazel. Now, I may use a lightly scented alcohol or witch hazel based after shave splash/mist if it's date night or I have an important meeting/event and this is solely to give my aura a scent boost but without the room clearing power of most colognes. I almost never use balms/gels but I occasionally get a touch of dry skin around my chin and cheeks if I spend a lengthy time out in the wind and for that I use a balm pretty much as a spot treatment.

In general (or in theory, atleast) an electric shaver should be causing less post shave trauma to your skin then a blade but it does still cause some especially if you were a bit overzealous with your pressure so it really doesn't hurt. If you use a device with a cleaning base then your shaver is getting a restorative aftershave so shouldn't you as well!? ;)
I haven’t used aftershave in over 30 years because I don’t like the aroma. I assume that I don’t get any irritation because my skin has become acclimated to using electric shavers for over 40 years.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If I used an electric I would still use a spray cologne. I always use a face cream like a balm and then use a spray cologne after I shave now. I would do exactly the same thing if I used an electric.

The surface of the skin is not necessarily smooth and shavers can lop off some of the outer layer of skin surrounding hair follicles that gets caught in the cutting elements, cause micro-abrasion and micro-cuts. This is different from the larger-scale trauma that often happens when blade shaving.

In the past I have found exfoliation a few times a week really helps to get smoother electric shaves and keep ingrown hairs away. Using electric preshaves also seems to help. In time skin can adjust somewhat, as well.

The surface of the skin is not necessarily smooth and shavers can lop off some of the outer layer of skin surrounding hair follicles that gets caught in the cutting elements, cause micro-abrasion and micro-cuts. This is different from the larger-scale trauma that often happens when blade shaving.

In the past I have found exfoliation a few times a week really helps to get smoother electric shaves and keep ingrown hairs away. Using electric preshaves also seems to help. In time skin can adjust somewhat, as well.

Not on B&B but places like Reddit for example I've frequently read reports from Electric shaver users that also like an occasional exfoliation as you mentioned. I just use my brush and lather in the shower the exfoliate even if I'm not shaving.

After the removal of 6 day's worth of stubble, and a shower I put on some Stirling Spice AS. My Braun Series-9 tackled the job with ease, and left me with no skin irritation.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

After the removal of 6 day's worth of stubble, and a shower I put on some Stirling Spice AS. My Braun Series-9 tackled the job with ease, and left me with no skin irritation.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk
Clayton, I’m amazed that your Braun Series 9 can mow through 6 days worth of beard with ease. Are you shaving wet in the shower or are you shaving dry and showering afterwards? Are you are putting on the Stealing Spice AS for the aroma? Obviously, from your comment the Braun shaver leaves no irritation.

Clayton, I’m amazed that your Braun Series 9 can mow through 6 days worth of beard with ease. Are you shaving wet in the shower or are you shaving dry and showering afterwards? Are you are putting on the Stealing Spice AS for the aroma? Obviously, from your comment the Braun shaver leaves no irritation.

In my experience, electric shaves aren't very comfortable if there's more than 24-36 hours growth. That's when I would reach for a blade. That's why my Gillette Guard was my go-to razor for just those sorts of occasions.

I rarely miss a day of shaving with my Braun 7893s. It’s not because shaving with longer stubble is uncomfortable, but because by the second evening after skipping a shave my face begins to itch. Regardless of the itching, it’s so easy and convenient to shave before showering that I just do it with little thought and it only takes 4 or 5 minutes including cleaning out the cuttings. Modern electric shavers work so well, shave so close with such little effort I’m surprised more men haven’t given up wet blade shaving. Just my personal experience.

I rarely miss a day of shaving with my Braun 7893s. It’s not because shaving with longer stubble is uncomfortable, but because by the second evening after skipping a shave my face begins to itch. Regardless of the itching, it’s so easy and convenient to shave before showering that I just do it with little thought and it only takes 4 or 5 minutes including cleaning out the cuttings. Modern electric shavers work so well, shave so close with such little effort I’m surprised more men haven’t given up wet blade shaving. Just my personal experience.

I think its due to the perceived high prices. Retailers and manufactures heavily promote top of the line models with alot of markup. Alot of men probably perceive electric shaving as a luxury, as a result. Companies like Gillette also dumped alot of money into marketing and that probably payed off as well with long-term loyalty.

I 100% prefer the feel of a blade to an electric razor. Although I can get consistent results with an electric, I've preferred a blade since I was a teen.

I think its due to the perceived high prices. Retailers and manufactures heavily promote top of the line models with alot of markup. Alot of men probably perceive electric shaving as a luxury, as a result. Companies like Gillette also dumped alot of money into marketing and that probably payed off as well with long-term loyalty.
Obviously, the lower priced models may shave as well as the higher priced models without all the bells and whistles. I don’t consider shaving with an electric shaver a luxury but a modern convenience. Originally, like Kodak, Gillette used to give away the double blade handles to get you to buy the blades. Kodak gave away the Brownie cameras to sell film and processing. Both companies realized they could sell both and make even more profit. Marketing is a major part of their business to get you to either switch from a competitor or introduce a newer product.

I still used an aftershave even when I was using an electric. You still have the trauma to your skin even with an electric and need something to moisturize it and begin the recovery process.

I still used an aftershave even when I was using an electric. You still have the trauma to your skin even with an electric and need something to moisturize it and begin the recovery process.
I don’t use after shave but I take warm shower afterwards which might help heal or soothe any trauma to my face.

Skin sensitivity seems to vary a great deal. For some men, a shaver is indeed less potentially irritating. Sometimes when I wet shave, my face won't calm down for hours afterwards and I'm having to use heavy medicated balms like Nivea to deal with it. With an electric shave, a simple alcohol splash like Aqua Velva or lightweight balm is enough, and my skin returns to normal within minutes instead of hours. And double edge razors and 3+ blade carts seem to be the worst offenders, whereas a Bic Sensitive is the least offensive.

Also, the whole process of wet shaving can produce irritation in its own right. There's a reason you will rarely see dermatologists recommending soap for sensitive skin. Generally soap is relatively harsh, the pH is high (whereas skin is naturally acid) and it actually can effect the protein structure of the outer layers of skin, turning them into screen doors for irritants to penetrate deeply and leading to moisture loss, all of which increases inflammation.

Last edited:
Skin sensitivity seems to vary a great deal. For some men, a shaver is indeed less potentially irritating. Sometimes when I wet shave, my face won't calm down for hours afterwards and I'm having to use heavy medicated balms like Nivea to deal with it. With an electric shave, a simple alcohol splash like Aqua Velva or lightweight balm is enough, and my skin returns to normal within minutes instead of hours. And double edge razors and 3+ blade carts seem to be the worst offenders, whereas a Bic Sensitive is the least offensive.

Also, the whole process of wet shaving can produce irritation in its own right. There's a reason you will rarely see dermatologists recommending soap for sensitive skin. Generally soap is relatively harsh, the pH is high (whereas skin is naturally acid) and it actually can effect the protein structure of the outer layers of skin, turning them into screen doors for irritants to penetrate deeply and leading to moisture loss, all of which increases inflammation.
Obviously, you are correct about skin sensitivity to shaving. The few times in the past when I had to wet shave with a blade the results were disastrous because I nicked myself in several places and had to use toilet paper until the bleeding stopped.

I hadn’t thought about shaving cream or soaps in general having high pH verses your skin. When I had to use a blade it was in an emergency when I was weathered in on a flight where I hadn’t planned on staying overnight and used a free hotel razor with hand soap. After that incident I began carrying by shaver and a change of underwear when ever I left home just in case.

Top Bottom