What's new

Aftershave vs Moisturizer

I've been using Jack Black facial moisturizer for the past several years because of of low SPF protection and have been missing my aftershaves. What solutions are out there, and does anyone apply aftershave after the moisturizer? (I'm sure the latter would simply displace off the moisturizer.)

I recently read an article that actually recommended applying moisturizer before applying AS splashes (with alcohol in the ingredients). It said doing that will help reduce the burn you can get when irritation occurs, and that it can help to prolong the scent of the AS. I've been experimenting a bit. It does give a nice face feel and my Old Spice, which is on the weak side, seemed to last longer.

I have been using Proraso balm prior to various AS products for 8 years. I like a scent and refreshing feel of an AS. In 2012 I started to use a balm first to keep my skin from being abused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id personally apply moisturizer after your aftershave. That reason I say that is because I feel like the AS would wash the moisturizer off and would dry you out.
IMO, you typically want to moisturize after you use an AS because you want to restore moisture to the skin and sooth any razor burn you may have.

I start with an AS splash. Usually these are alcohol-based but if I need something soothing I look for the Lucky Tiger.

Then I apply a moisturizer if my skin needs it due to dry weather or the need for sunblock. Works for me!!
:clap: :clap:

I should probably add that I run alum followed by witch hazel first. This keeps the balm from inhibiting any healing action of an AS, as it isn’t necessary. For me, the AS is all about the feeling and scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My face feels terrific after a splash of aftershave and a few tiny dabs of CeraVe moisturizer. In that order.

Top Bottom