What's new

Aftershave vs. Cologne

I always thought an aftershave was meant to be used the same as a cologne.. on the puls points etc.. not actually as an aftershave (I thought that only an aftershave balm was used on the face). It seems from browsing this site that I was incorrect. So now I am confused as to how to use moisturiser with aftershave(?) and can you use aftershave and cologne of the same type together? and in general a little overwhelmed with how I have been so ignorant in this area for so long! Can someone please educate me?!:w00t:

aftershave is how it sounds...after the shave

it normally contains ingredients that sooth and tighten the skin in some way.

cologne is solely for the use of smelling good. it is put on the pulse points as you have said.

now...some people LOVE the smell of their aftershave...so try to use it like a cologne...there is no problem with this; the smell just might not last that long because it is not formulated that way.

Colognes have fixers and are meant to stick around on the skin...also are generally more complex and will change over time.

you can use aftershave as a cologne...but do NOT use cologne as an aftershave! :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks Zangler,
so where do the use of balms come in and what's the difference there (aside from the obvious moisturising effects).
I didn't know the aftershave didn't last as long as cologne, so now I look at things a whole different way!

Thanks Zangler,
so where do the use of balms come in and what's the difference there (aside from the obvious moisturising effects).
I didn't know the aftershave didn't last as long as cologne, so now I look at things a whole different way!

Balms are made of real lotion, as opposed to liquid. Generally they tend to be low or no-alcohol and are for men with dry or sensitive skin, or guys that just don't want to use a liquid AS for whatever reason.

Balms are made of real lotion, as opposed to liquid. Generally they tend to be low or no-alcohol and are for men with dry or sensitive skin, or guys that just don't want to use a liquid AS for whatever reason.

OK so let me make sure I have this straight...

A cologne is only a scent - nothing to do with the shave.
Afteshave is to clean/disinfect small cuts/tone the skin and has a scent. It doesn't last as long as cologne.
Aftershave balm is for dry skin.

So, does the scent from balm last as long as cologne?
If I want to moisturise as well as use a scent I presume I should go for a balm and cologne if the balm doesn't last as long?
Or another option I presume is to use a men's moisturiser with cologne..
If I like a patricular aftershave but there is no matching cologne that I know of, what do I do then if I want something with a scent that will last all day?

This simple little thing may be common knowledge to everyone on here - but it's an entire new piece of knowledge to me!

Thanks for your responses guys; I am learning here!

balm is not just for dry skin. you can use it after every shave...it usually has a more robust amount of things that do hydrate and treat skin like vitamin E.

the smell of a balm will also fade quickly.

i do the following:

shave, liquid or splash aftershave, balm, cologne

i think many men probably follow a similar routine.

balm is not just for dry skin. you can use it after every shave...it usually has a more robust amount of things that do hydrate and treat skin like vitamin E.

the smell of a balm will also fade quickly.

i do the following:

shave, liquid or splash aftershave, balm, cologne

i think many men probably follow a similar routine.

Ok, so what about the mixing of scents betrween the aftershave, the balm and the cologne? Is that not a minefield?

it can be...but if you choose an aftershave and balm that are more neutral or share notes or fade quickly...then you are ok.

A cologne is only a scent - nothing to do with the shave.

Correct, but it's what I call giving a shave a "happy ending" :biggrin:

Afteshave is to clean/disinfect small cuts/tone the skin and has a scent. It doesn't last as long as cologne.

Generally, correct. An alcohol based aftershave is the only way to properly disinfect the skin after shaving (despite arguments to the contrary). I've had some aftershaves that outlasted colognes, but in most cases a cologne lasts longer.

So, does the scent from balm last as long as cologne?

Typically, no. Some balms are strong in scent, but rarely do they last as long as an average cologne.

If I want to moisturise as well as use a scent I presume I should go for a balm and cologne if the balm doesn't last as long?

It's a myth that if you want to moisturize your skin you HAVE to use a balm. Most alcohol based liquid aftershaves also have moisturizing properties. The only time I ever use a balm is some days in winter when my skin is not only dry but cracked. You just have to find what works for you.

Or another option I presume is to use a men's moisturiser with cologne..
If I like a patricular aftershave but there is no matching cologne that I know of, what do I do then if I want something with a scent that will last all day?

There's no hard and fast rule as to what you have to put on your skin before, during, or after a shave. If you find that you need a balm, every single balm I've tried has a corresponding scent in a cologne, even if it's not the same brand.

you can play around with something like Brut aftershave balm, and then splash on some Brut cologne, or you can try a balm out and ask around here on the forums for a good cologne that compliments it.

OR, you can find a balm that has little to no scent (they make unscented balms) and put on whatever Cologne you wish.

Thanks for your responses guys; I am learning here!

We're all learning here. :wink:

OK I think I have enough to go on now.. the aftershaves and colognes I already have tend to be ones I could group into particular types of fragrance so I am looking forward to y next shave when I can try all this out. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom