What's new

Aftershave vs cologne?

Good evening all.

Even though I have fully mastered how to use a safety razor like my 39c Sledgehammer and my Schick Stick Shift injector razor I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to selecting an aftershave or cologne. My wife got me a bottle of Hugo Boss aftershave which smells great but I have heard that the scents from colognes last longer.

I understand they may be a lot of subjective replies to this thread, but as always any help received will always be most grateful. Is there an advantage of cologne over aftershave or vice versa?

Jason.

Thanks for both of your replies. So what is the fundamental difference between aftershave and cologne then?

Jason.

There is a really nice chart, let me check IFRA. It has to do with the percent of fragrance that is safe to be in contact with shaven skin. That's why aftershaves aren't as strong, you would get frag burn. This is a problem in the US with the aftershaves because there is no regulation.

Thanks for both of your replies. So what is the fundamental difference between aftershave and cologne then?

Jason.

Aftershaves have a lower concentration of fragrance oils. You can use more of it without the scent overwhelming everybody around you.

The fragrance from aftershaves does not last as long as eau de colognes or eau de perfums, generally. This is a good thing. An aftershave scent is not supposed to last for hours and hours. They usually last a few minutes to a couple of hours.

Aftershaves may contain some skin conditioning ingredients to soothe the skin after a shave. EdCs and EdPs generally consist only of alcohol, water and fragrance oils.

Cologne is alcohol with fragrance, simply meant for smelling good. The scent is more concentrated than aftershave. Aftershave is a watered-down version of cologne, but usually (and most importantly) has additional ingredients that are meant to treat and heal the skin after a shave. Some aftershaves are mostly just alcohol and fragrance (though a weaker concentration) and therefore blur the line, but it can be rough on your freshly-shaved face to use something not intended for that. Some people do it anyway and don't mind the feeling, but to each their own.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow, good question, and great responses! All correct.

I use an alcohol after shave splash after every shave (after a splash of Thayer's unscented Witch Hazel) to make my face feel good, in a scent I like.

A cologne, correct above meaning more fragrance oils, and therefore longer lasting scent and more expensive, I use on date nights when I'm trying to woo my mate. :D

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Wow, good question, and great responses! All correct.

I use an alcohol after shave splash after every shave (after a splash of Thayer's unscented Witch Hazel) to make my face feel good, in a scent I like.

A cologne, correct above meaning more fragrance oils, and therefore longer lasting scent and more expensive, I use on date nights when I'm trying to woo my mate. :D

+ 1. AS for feelin’ good after the shave and Cologne for Woo’in da smokin’ hot ladies…. GRrrrr. :)

Of course, there are some AS/Cologne all in one stop shops like Aqua Velva Musk which I just happen to be using this morning.

Splashed on my face and dried my palms on the front of my shirt. Now the wife is having trouble keeping her dirty, little lustful paws off of me… ;)

Last edited:
Aftershaves have a lower concentration of fragrance oils. You can use more of it without the scent overwhelming everybody around you.

The fragrance from aftershaves does not last as long as eau de colognes or eau de perfums, generally. This is a good thing. An aftershave scent is not supposed to last for hours and hours. They usually last a few minutes to a couple of hours.

Aftershaves may contain some skin conditioning ingredients to soothe the skin after a shave. EdCs and EdPs generally consist only of alcohol, water and fragrance oils.

+1! This is also my understanding!

To me aftershave sort of seals the deal at the end of a shaving section. It eases the irritation, or at least it should. Tightens the skin etc., whereas colognes main function is to make you smell better for your significant other. 😉

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
4711 cologne is a very lightly scented splash. I have used it as an aftershave for decades.

4711 cologne is a very lightly scented splash. I have used it as an aftershave for decades.
4711 is a "cologne" in the original sense of the word (water of Cologne, where it was originally made), so it only lasts a few minutes.

In modern times, confusingly "cologne" is often used to mean something else, which is any type of long-lasting fragrance for men. It could last all day.

You COULD do as I do. Fill the tub with Pinaud, shave, and then jump into the tub. You get your aftershave application and your full body application of a great scent.
No need for a cologne!

All sincerity aside. Get yourself some Burberry cologne and call it a day:001_smile

cologne on your face = significant burning. No real benefit other than REALLY strong scent and anti-septic which you could get from witch-hazel, alum or a standard splash. Also might be impossible to find a certain fragrance in AS splash form so if you really love your cologne go for it.

Aftershave splash = minimal burning to medium burning. Depends on alcohol concentration in the splash. Proraso and Speick are very limited in alcohol use so they barely burn compared to brut, imperial leather, nivea deep, paco rabanne etc. which are basically just water, fragrance, glycerin and alcohol (mostly alcohol and water). Splashes typically contain some witch hazel, aloe vera extract, glycerin and a lower concentration of fragrance. This makes it easier on freshly shaved faces and more economical (cost of AS alcohol has skyrocketed and fragrances even cheap ones will be the most expensive ingredient typically) whilst also providing minimal skin nourishment, anti-septic and anti-inflammatory ingredients and a nice bit of aroma therapy to the face. Also non-comodogenic.

Aftershave balm = moisturiser. 99% of the time these are alcohol free. This means 0 burn/irritation caused by its application. Maybe it might be a thinner moisturiser, but for me there is rarely a discernable difference between a standard moisturiser and a balm formula wise. Just easy to apply and go. Can be scented after anything (It must be said I do not like balms, they don't work for my needs). May not be non-comodogenic.

Aftershave tonic = basically like an aftershave splash but 0 alcohol. Think Lucky Tiger, Thayers, Baxter of California etc. Typically substitutes witch-hazel completely in favour of alcohol. No burning, absorbs quick but typically extremely weak scents and no real 'cologne' type scents. Just plain witch hazel, mint, citrus etc. Many artisans call these Aftershave toners if they sell something like it. non-comodogenic.

There's shades of grey in-between these. GFT skin food for example is a balm with alcohol in it. I liked the scent and its a decent pre-shave but I don't like it as an AS balm.

using cologne as AS might be too much fragrance and could lead to you gassing out your peers. I use AS splash/tonic on my face and spray fragrance on my wrist, under-ear on the neck and back of my neck. I've never found an AS to compete with my fragrance. They don't project enough or last long enough (this is ideal for me).

I was always told Aftershave you slash on, and cologne you spray into the air and walk through it to coat everything hair clothes so it all smells the same. so it all matches your scent of the day hope this helps a bit.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Colognes are considerably more complex and considerably more expensive. Aftershave tends to be pretty linear, whereas most colognes are not.

The scent of a perfume unfolds like this:

• Top notes -- This is what you smell when you first apply the perfume. It's the result of all of the scent ingredients blended together. This scent lasts only a few minutes.
  • Middle notes -- As the most volatile of the scent molecules evaporate, the middle notes arise. This scent is considered the "heart" of the fragrance and lasts up to an hour.
  • Base notes -- When the middle notes dissipate, the base notes take over. This is the dry-down period, and this final fragrance is said to reveal the "body" of the perfume -- its true scent. Fixatives are added to make the dry-down scent last for several hours.
There are many more choices in colognes, and I suggest you start with samples so you don't end up with a whole bottle of something your wife hates.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Many aftershaves have skin conditioning ingredients, which are not present in cologne; that is not to say that cologne is harmful although some will find it so. I have used aftershave, EDT, and cologne interchangeably for decades with no ill effects although of course, had I not done so, then it is possible although unlikely, that I could be even more handsome than I am at present. I have never applied cologne or EDT to my chest, clothing or pulse points, or sprayed it into the air and walked through the mist. I use them all exactly the same as aftershave; splashed on after a shave and reapplied whenever I feel like it. It is not important what others do, or what you are meant to do, or what you read, or were always told - just do what you enjoy 👍

Top Bottom