What's new

Aftershave versus Cologne

I used old spice cologne as an aftershave for a while (the bottles are nearly the same size)
Aftershaves are used to soothe the face after shaving (containing moisturizers, astringents ect)
colognes are used for scent and are not formulated to do anything but make you smell better.
Im sure someone will be along here shortly to elaborate.

So if you use an aftershave does that negate the need for a cologne?
So a cologne is just used if you want some scent but aren't shaving?
Is one stronger than the other scent wise?

That depends on the staying power of the After Shave. Some AS scents are gone by the time you walk out of the bathroom, others have more staying power. For example I use Speick which is light and the scent is gone quickly so I will use a cologne, when I use Alt-Innusbruk that scent stays with me all day, so no cologne.

Cologne has a higher concentration of the scents.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume
  • Perfume extract, or simply perfume (Extrait): 15-40% (IFRA: typical 20%) aromatic compounds
  • Esprit de Parfum (ESdP): 15-30% aromatic compounds, a seldom used strength concentration in between EdP and perfume
  • Eau de Parfum (EdP), Parfum de Toilette (PdT): 10-20% (typical ~15%) aromatic compounds, sometimes listed as "eau de perfume" or "millésime." Parfum de Toilette is a less common term that is generally analogous to Eau de Parfum.
  • Eau de toilette (EdT): 5-15% (typical ~10%) aromatic compounds
  • Eau de Cologne (EdC): Chypre citrus type perfumes with 3-8% (typical ~5%) aromatic compounds. "Original Eau de Cologne" is a registered trademark.
  • Perfume mist: 3-8% aromatic compounds (typical non-alcohol solvent)
  • Splash (EdS) and Aftershave: 1-3% aromatic compounds. "EdS" is a registered trademark.

The way I understand it cologne has a higher concentration of aromatic compounds. A good aftershave may also have some healing and/or moisturizing ingredients (witch hazel, oils and/or waxes, etc).

That depends on the staying power of the After Shave. Some AS scents are gone by the time you walk out of the bathroom, others have more staying power. For example I use Speick which is light and the scent is gone quickly so I will use a cologne, when I use Alt-Innusbruk that scent stays with me all day, so no cologne.

Alt-Innsbruck is in fact a cologne and not an AS.

Aftershave : intended to heal and protect the skin after a shave. Scent, if any, is a secondary consideration.

Cologne (and all the eau's - toilette, parfum, etc) : perfume for men. Usually too concentrated to put on a freshly shaved face, but some guys enjoy suffering!

That said, these are all pretty loose terms. There are technical definitions for each, but in practice the marketing department decides what to call and how to position a given product. You can get aftershaves that smell all day and colognes so weak they disappear immediately.

I have in my hands both Old Spice cologne and aftershave.
Below are the ingredients:
Cologne: Alcohol denat, water, fragrance, propylene glycol, benzyl alcohol.
Aftershave: Alcohol denat, water, fragrance, propylene glycol, benzyl alcohol and PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil.

The cologne scent is a way much stronger (some will say manly ^^), while the aftershave don't last very long and don't smell much. On the other hand, the aftershave contain castor oil which is an anti-inflammatory (no need to explain the benefits).
As aftershave, the cologne will sanitize you face for sure....but in a more painful way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom