What's new

Aftershave Recommendations

Apologies if this is posted somewhere already. Looking for aftershave recommendations that hits the following:
1) Manly smelling
2) wife approved
3) is preferably cheap

I personally enjoy Aqua Velva, Brut, Old Spice, etc. due to price and scent. I do have a bottle of Captain's Choice which I enjoy, but I conserve it as much as I can.

So, I'm looking for a daily driver that comes close to checking all three boxes as possible.

What is your budget AS that your wife likes?

Thanks in advance.

Varon Dandy - a Spanish Classic that now belongs to Coty, comes in 1,000ml for small money.

8F07B73E-5E22-41DD-9F7B-6141D9026134.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You have a bottle of Captain's Choice that you like... Captain's Choice what? Bay Rum? Venture? Sandalwood?

Aftershaves that are winners for me and are wife approved would include:

Lustray Blue Spice
Gabels Original
Gabels Bay Rum
Colonel Conk Bay Rum (although this isn't inexpensive)

Gabel's has a nice Bay Rum that was mentioned. They also have some others, like Sta-Cool that are worth checking out.

Stephan is an old barbershop brand. I like their Bay Rum and the 320 aftershave/astringent.

Try mixing Mennen Skin Bracer with a bit of Osage Rub for a hot weather splash.

All of mine hit #3 easily, one citrus a.s. I have might/ might not hit #1.
For hitting all 3, the stand out, without a doubt is Whiskey Woods.

Stetson or English leather?
I'd agree with Stetson. That's probably the only one I've got that my wife doesn't hate. She doesn't like anything but Stetson appears to be more neutral than the others.

I wear Lilac Vegetal 99% of the time, though. We're not around each other long enough in the day for me to worry about it. ;) It's basically gone by the time I come home from work and wash my face and beard, etc. before bedtime.

What does the Stephan 320 smell like, sir?
I'm not sure if I can describe it accurately, but I'll try.

It's like you just came back fresh and clean from the barbershop. I get a mildly sweet tonka bean, with some hints of citrus and mint. There is something like clover or sweet grass in there, too. It's not real strong, but persists for an hour or so.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'm not sure if I can describe it accurately, but I'll try.

It's like you just came back fresh and clean from the barbershop. I get a mildly sweet tonka bean, with some hints of citrus and mint. There is something like clover or sweet grass in there, too. It's not real strong, but persists for an hour or so.
Thank you, sir. :001_smile

Apologies if this is posted somewhere already. Looking for aftershave recommendations that hits the following:
1) Manly smelling
2) wife approved
3) is preferably cheap

I personally enjoy Aqua Velva, Brut, Old Spice, etc. due to price and scent. I do have a bottle of Captain's Choice which I enjoy, but I conserve it as much as I can.

So, I'm looking for a daily driver that comes close to checking all three boxes as possible.

What is your budget AS that your wife likes?

Thanks in advance.
Have you looked at the Razorock line of splashes? My missus likes XXX, Emperor, and is ok with Mudder Focker.
Pinaud Clubman is also ok with her.

All that said she would prefer I didnt wear aftershave or cologne. And didnt shave more then once or twice a week.
Be well
Jay

Okiestubble said it perfectly:

Avon Wild Country is one of the classic greats. It’s the last of a kind that’s still in production.

When John Wayne passed, someone said, “men like that aren’t around anymore.”

When you see a 57’ Chevy roll down the street, you most likely will hear, “they don’t make cars like that anymore.”

That phrase or reference can be heard whenever something of quality left, stopped being produced or just can’t be found anymore.

Wild Country is the last in the line of Avon aftershaves that were made for men that is still being produced.

Many buy the vintage versions of Wild Country and other flavors of Avon’s past from antique shops and eBay.

I’m sure the modern sales of modern Wild Country are probably just holding on and it too, will be a thing of the past soon enough.

And when that happens we will inevitably hear, “they sure don’t make great, simple aftershaves like that anymore.” :)

Attachments

• 1677600370210.gif
    1677600370210.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 19
Top Bottom