What's new

Aftershave Powders

I’ve seen the powders, like Pinaud Clubman and Proraso, for sale. There is one other Italian brand I saw whose name I can’t recall at the moment.

Does anybody use these? I was wondering about them and their scents.
Do they smell like your average talcum powder from the grocery or drug store?
Is the powder any different than a powder you can buy in the store?
Does it really make a difference on your face or neck?

I’ve seen these online when looking at shaving stuff, and not too long ago, Geofatboy did a review of the Proraso powder. I was looking at shaving supply websites today and saw them again, and my curiosity was piqued, so I thought I’d ask.

Just as a FYI, the new Pinaud Clubman powder sold in the US is cornstarch, not talcum powder. While it does smell nice (like Pinaud Clubman), it also vanishes quickly. I bought a canister of the stuff and use it when the days get really humid. However, I have thought of buying a talc based powder online, instead.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I occasionally use a very small amount of vintage talc on my face a few minutes after the matching aftershave. I have talcs such as Yardley, Old Spice, Brut etc. but in truth the scents have all but vanished over the years although would once have matched the aftershaves. I have found no benefit at all in using talc I simply enjoy the process as I remember my Father and my childhood barber using it. There is a health concern with vintage talc, although this mainly pertains to women, so modern powers are cornstarch based.

There is a health concern with vintage talc, although this mainly pertains to women, so modern powers are cornstarch based.
Yes, it has to do with possible presence of asbestos, but I read that since the 1970s U.S. regulations require talc to be asbestos-free. I don't know if other countries have similar regulations. And as y'all mentioned, our powders are now corn starch rather than talc.

Yes, it has to do with possible presence of asbestos, but I read that since the 1970s U.S. regulations require talc to be asbestos-free. I don't know if other countries have similar regulations. And as y'all mentioned, our powders are now corn starch rather than talc.
Asbestos may possibly contaminate the mineral deposits where talc is mined. Talc can be found that is free of asbestos, but the potential product liabilities are huge. That plus consumer fear is enough to force most companies away.

I generally only use talc after haircuts when shaving the back of the neck, brushing away the loose hair, etc.

Asbestos may possibly contaminate the mineral deposits where talc is mined. Talc can be found that is free of asbestos, but the potential product liabilities are huge. That plus consumer fear is enough to force most companies away.

I generally only use talc after haircuts when shaving the back of the neck, brushing away the loose hair, etc.
I use talc in another region, one considerably farther south of my head and neck. 😁 I'm not fond of how humidity makes things stick.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
My dad has a vintage bottle of shave talc that I have used a few times. It is well over fifty years old. He must have never used it, because I remember playing with it when I was just a little kid, maybe five years old. The scent smells exactly as it did all those years ago.

The times that I used it, I found it fairly soothing and it is also tinted, so it covers any minor razor burn. If I could get more, I would buy it.

aftershave talc, at one time, was the rage.
no more.

palmolive sotd aug 16 2013.jpg

No, not for me, but I use them anyway. The fact that I enjoy using them and want to use them is reason enough. 👍
Do you just sprinkle it in your hands and apply, or do you sprinkle it on a towel and pat the face? The latter is what I saw for directions on a package.

Top Bottom