What's new

Aftershave Pass Box

It's not called an aftershave splash for nothing! You need to splash it on your face, lol.

If you want the alcohol to tone and tighten your skin, then you need to get enough on your face so there's a layer of alcohol everywhere that will evaporate. Your not just applying a small dab of scent and then rubbing it around. At least, that's how I look at it.
I've been guilty of only dabbing. Now that I've started to use more, I am getting more of the effect that the AS is going for. I used the AV Original Sport today and definitely was a better experience. It's going to take a little trial and error to figure out the right amount.

For me no AS smells like a barbershop, the only old school barbershop I've used smelled like Barbicide and hair tonic.
I'd be happy if the scent "hearkens back to" and "invokes the image of" the barbershop. The old barbershops had their own smell. As a kid, the barber my Dad took me to would use the heated foam and straight razor on my neck and then a talc-powdered brush to finish. Barbicide, hair tonic and talc just about covers it.

I'd be happy if the scent "hearkens back to" and "invokes the image of" the barbershop. The old barbershops had their own smell.

For me, Jeri's Hair Tonic is that scent. I don't know why, because I can't remember a barber ever putting hair tonic on my head.

But for many, Clubman Original is that scent. I get that too, because I remember the barbers using Clubman Talc. And I still use that talc today.

I've been cutting my own hair for years so if I went back to that barbershop if the old dude is still there I may be able to recognize by smell what he used to rub on my neck after blocking off the back. But I can't really remember what it smelled like.

For me, Jeri's Hair Tonic is that scent. I don't know why, because I can't remember a barber ever putting hair tonic on my head.

But for many, Clubman Original is that scent. I get that too, because I remember the barbers using Clubman Talc. And I still use that talc today.
I just googled Jeris Hair Tonic just to see (and educate myself about this stuff) and, lo and behold, it's part of the Clubman family!!

Is this not the aftershave? Is this the Agua Brava cologne?

It's the cologne splash. Comes in a glass bottle with a reducer. Mine was the 6.7oz size.

BTW, thanks for putting this pass-around together, Vez! I discovered a new favorite to add to my collection: Superior 70 Bay Rum.

I was very excited to try a sample of Fine American Blend that was put in the box for me. I don't have many Artisan Aftershaves and this one seems to have an almost universal acceptance. But, I did not like it one bit. It offered nothing for my face in terms of conditioning. I was expecting something in terms of a Barbershop scent (and I know that's a subjective description to begin with), but all I smelled was a cheap cologne kind of scent. Very disappointed with this.

I can definitely see why you didn't like FAB. It is definitely a scent that you will either like or hate. Probably not a lot in between. I wouldn't exactly call FAB a barbershop scent (although I may have once described it loosely as one). I do think it is a very Manly scent though. I know it smells nothing like Brut, but it reminds me of Brut because of it's strong masculine scent. FAB is one of my favorites because I really love the scent (I also get a lot of compliments on it) and it performs as a great aftershave for me. That being said...I don't have particularly oily skin, nor do I have dry skin. All I really need is an aftershave that tones my skin, maybe gives me a little cooling effect, and something that smells great. That doesn't mean that I don't reach for something moisturizing from time to time or reach for a balm or other types of post shave items. The great thing about these pass around boxes is that you get to here what each person wants in their aftershave.

The great thing about these pass around boxes is that you get to here what each person wants in their aftershave.

Or doesn't want. As in my case. I'm just not a menthol fan. I little bit is okay, but many AS's with menthol are over the top for me.

So far as the Fine AB goes, I put some on this morning after reading this yesterday. I agree that it's a "Manly" scent. I like the scent and the way it feels. I guess I would still use the term "Barber Shop" along with Manly to describe it.

So, a question for you all.

I went into this assuming that all 20 slots would be filled and a 5ml sample allows everyone to use up an entire 100ml bottle.

But getting this box back, I see that many bottles are still pretty full. So, I'm wondering if 5ml was too limiting. Do you think 5ml is a fair sample size? What other feedback do you have on the pass. If I do this again for round 2, what changes should I make?

I don't think everyone took a sample of everything. I didn't take any Clubman because I already had some.
I think 5 ml is plenty.

I had hoped to see more of everyone's impressions on what they sampled.

For me, 5ml was just right (still learning how much to use - but definitely provides enough to know whether it's for me or not). I also used one of the syringes to extract the AS from the bottle and fill my vials with (which was greatly appreciated). I didn't take a sample of every AS in the box although I did give each one a good sniff. If it passed, then I snagged a sample. There were certainly plenty to choose from. :thumbup:

:badger:For my first time participating in an AS pass-around, I had a awesome experience and am still working my way through the samples. This gave me a really good opportunity to break out of my 2-3 AS rut!

However, I think I did fall down a bit in the feedback and impressions department. :blushing:

Only regret I have is the sample tubes I used. I think they fouled my samples and the whole cracking and leaking well before I was done sampling really wasn't cool. Other than that I think it was one of the most organized pass around boxes I've seen.

Only regret I have is the sample tubes I used. I think they fouled my samples and the whole cracking and leaking well before I was done sampling really wasn't cool. Other than that I think it was one of the most organized pass around boxes I've seen.
That just happened to me with the Fine American sample. I had used it that morning, and at night could smell it quite strongly and thought I didn't cap it tightly. Check the tube and it had several cracks running up the length of the tube and was empty. I've got 15 or so tubes and this was the only one that cracked. It's a very nice smell so I'm not upset about the lingering scent, only that there's no AS left.

I went into this assuming that all 20 slots would be filled and a 5ml sample allows everyone to use up an entire 100ml bottle.

But getting this box back, I see that many bottles are still pretty full. So, I'm wondering if 5ml was too limiting. Do you think 5ml is a fair sample size? What other feedback do you have on the pass. If I do this again for round 2, what changes should I make?

I think 5ml is about right. That's the sample size you get from places like Stirling. I also only sampled about a dozen or so since I already had bottles of the more common ones like Clubman, AV Ice Blue, AV Musk and Skin Bracer, etc.

I ended up spending a bit more and bought 5ml glass bottles with sealed caps on the bay. I even took one in my checked luggage on a trip this past week and had no trouble at all. I think for a few bucks more, it was worth it.

I think the 5ml size is great. If you want to allow more that's fine but I think it is about right. I am pretty liberal in my "splashing" and I still get three uses out of each (2 and a half if I decide to be "that guy"). Not everyone is going to take a sample of everything so you will have some bottles that might get used up and others that don't get touched much. My suggestion for this is...the ones that didn't get touched, maybe put in less and then add something different or add more of whatever was used up. Yes I know that the tastes of those in a second pass may differ than of those in this one, but if you have an AS that didn't get used this time around...I would venture to say that there would be only one or two people that would try it on the next.

As far as sign ups and distance between participants go...this pass around was super quick compared to others that I have been in. You may want to consider putting a list up and letting participants pick where at in the order they want to be. You can guess that a box will take roughly a week to get to the next (a little less with this one) but between people having issues at home and work (because it happens to all of us) this is a good indication of how long it takes. If the package takes a day longer getting to one member in Arizona coming from Vermont, then so be it. But in the scheme of things it all evens out. I hope this made sense.

Anyway...great job KJ organizing this box!

That just happened to me with the Fine American sample. I had used it that morning, and at night could smell it quite strongly and thought I didn't cap it tightly. Check the tube and it had several cracks running up the length of the tube and was empty. I've got 15 or so tubes and this was the only one that cracked. It's a very nice smell so I'm not upset about the lingering scent, only that there's no AS left.
I just lost a second one (Bootlegger's) to cracking. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! A pox upon these budget tubes!!!

Ok, so I used up the sample of Swashbuckler......

I was expecting a bay rum, but it isn't. It started off slightly light and citrusy. Then it turned into a heavy tropical vibe, like I had just put on suntan lotion. Then it kind of settles down to a generic cologne scent, and I don't care for that. It smells very much like South Padre from Stirling, which many say has a suntan lotion vibe. I'm not a fan of either.

I think the thing that's impressing me most is how vastly different each persons take on the scent of the Swashbuckler is. From suntan lotion, mint, cologne, gunpowder, cloves and more I can't remember.

To me it has some bay rum similarities without clove. I'll have to pay more attention to it. Haven't used it much since I got my bottle of Proraso red and my aqua velva pack.

Top Bottom