What's new

Aftershave or balm?

Hello all. I'm a newer guy to wet-shaving, and trying to learn what will be best for my skin. I tend to have an oily t-zone, and I'm wondering if a balm would be a good idea or would I be better off with an aftershave? I haven't bought a ton of products, so all feedback would be healthy. Thanks.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's a preference. A Splash will have a tendency to burn a bit where the balm won't burn at all.

The splash might dry your skin a bit where the balm could moisturize it (or give a greasy feeling).

If you haven't tried anything, I would suggest to get both and see for yourself. I would say I have a normal skin and I love the splash. I get a dryer skin, the burning isn't so bad (no home alone). I used to only have balms before...

I hate the sting and bracing effect of splashes - I only use balms and alcohol free witch hazel from Thayer's. you'll have to try each for yourself and decide...good thing is it won't be an expensive experiment.

personally, i use both....

i use a balm right after shaving to soothe and moisturize. i let it dry and then after a couple of minutes, i finish with an after-shave to tighten pores, disinfect any small nicks and of course, make me smell good.

Currently, I use a balm after the shave, and use the splash after that for the smell (brand name old spice :p)

I have used balms of one kind or another my whole wet-shaving life (40 yrs). I dismissed alcohol splashes as too drying and too irritating.

Recently, I decided to try an alcohol splash that contained glycerin.... and menthol :001_smile. Imagine my surprise to discover that my skin has never felt or looked better. The alcohol burns, but for me at least, it does seem to promote healthy skin. I still need some sort of moisturizing...and the glycerin works really well for me in any weather.

Just goes to show that shaving is a lifelong adventure....

I use both as well, although I apply the splash first. I find the initial burn invigorating... like Luc said it's not like a "Home Alone" arrghhh sort of thing (as long as you got a good shave anyway). I worried about the drying of the skin from the alcohol but I haven't noticed anything dry/flaky and I follow up with EMJ balm/moisturizer afterwards anyway.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I was using a balm and then a moisturizer, and by the middle of the day I felt greasy. I picked up a splash the other day, and used it following my final cold-water rinse. Used a moisturizing lotion afterward, and I've felt great all day. Still so much to learn... :001_smile Thanks folks!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It's a preference. A Splash will have a tendency to burn a bit where the balm won't burn at all.

The splash might dry your skin a bit where the balm could moisturize it (or give a greasy feeling).

If you haven't tried anything, I would suggest to get both and see for yourself.

I agree with Luc.
Some men only use splashes, some only use balms, some use both.
In my case I enjoy using both splashes and balms, although these two kinds of aftershave treatments are different, as stated above.
You have to get both, try both and then decide.

Top Bottom