What's new

Aftershave Hall of Shame

Get your torches and pitchforks... I cannot stand Old Spice. There's some component of the fragrance that makes me nauseous and provokes a splitting headache. I've tried it many times during my shaving life, and in many formulations (Aftershave, cologne, deodorant) and all give the same effect. There are a few others that must have the same component and provoke varying degrees of the same reaction- Clubman, Brut, British Sterling, Stetson if I use too much- but OS remains the worst offender. As far as simply disagreeable scents, The Veg and many of the newer aquatics lead the pack without making me physically ill. The first time I took the plunge on The Veg, my long-suffering fiancé spent all day looking for where the cat had peed. I'll stick to my core rotation of AV, English Leather Pinaud Special Reserve (yeah, I like it:blushing:), and Aramis.

Last edited:
Get your torches and pitchforks... I cannot stand Old Spice.

Is this just the modern P&G variety, or do you feel the same way about vintage Shulton OS? They are worlds apart and the vintage is much better. The modern is very powdery and somewhat artificial smelling, to me.

Agreed. I was going to explore drugstore scents, and this was the first one I tried. AV is just so unnatural and potent at the same time it made me sick. I decided to go upmarket after that. One of these days I'll try out clubman though.

Clubman's not terrible. It at least reminds me of the barbershop. To be honest I'm kind of a fan of the cheaper stuff in principle, but Aqua Velva ice blue makes me sick just thinking about it. I'm cheap, but do I really need to save an extra 5-10 bucks on something that takes me a few months to finish?

I'm not a collector, though... One at a time for me. Speick is pretty good. And Pitralon.

I'm going to go with Musgo Real Oak Moss. I searched a long time for some, but when I smelled it and tried it on, it was the most un-masculine thing I could have imagined. I might get my wife to try it on, but I just can't bring myself to even open the bottle right now.

Is this just the modern P&G variety, or do you feel the same way about vintage Shulton OS? They are worlds apart and the vintage is much better. The modern is very powdery and somewhat artificial smelling, to me.

I agree about the vintage. I also found that the Indian Old Spice has that same classic scent as what we all fondly remember. It's the only Old Spice I'll use now, as a matter of fact.

The Veg, I gave it fair shot even decanting into glass and letting it settle for a time but it still ranks as the worse for me.
Also don't care for Brut, it reminds me of junior high. And Czech Pitralon.

Barbasol, lectric shave, skin bracer, and all the cheap drug store aftershaves. Stetson is alright but smells like my grandpa. Old spice makes me want to throw up. Florida water and adidas are the only aftershaves I like from the drugstore. The adidas doesn't work super well but smells good and the wife likes it.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I've only had one experience with vintage Shulton OS, and while it did not suit me at the time (I was much younger) it only produced a mild reaction. Experiments with home-brewed aftershaves have lead me to believe the culprit is more the "Spice" component. Given that certain Bay Rums induce the same reaction, I wonder if it's some aromatic compound derived from the spice family (cineol, linalool, myristicin, ect.) Science!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I agree about the vintage. I also found that the Indian Old Spice has that same classic scent as what we all fondly remember. It's the only Old Spice I'll use now, as a matter of fact.

All the tough guys wear it. Santa Claus wears it in the off season. With his leather jacket. ;)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Hands down winner for me The Veg. There was no way I was leaving the house with that stuff on. Even my dogs stayed away from me.

The Veg(winner hands down, Brut,British Sterling and Canoe. They all are literally sickening to me(splitting headaches) You could not pay me enough to wear any of these obnoxious scents !

Craig

I've tried a fair amount of aftershaves over the years, but only two have made me dump them down the drain.

The Veg - I gave it a fair shot. Transferred it into a glass bottle, let it simmer for a week or so, then splashed it on after a nice Saturday shave. Within 20 minutes I wanted to scrub it off my face. The scent wavered between a cat's litter box and this old funeral home in Brooklyn I went to a few times as a kid. Neither impression appealed to me.

4711 - If they were trying to recreate the scent of an old lady's purse that's been doused in lemon disinfectant, they've succeeded. Thankfully it doesn't last long, but even with its two hour longevity it was way too long for me.

Oh man, I just remembered the absolute worst: Stirling Texas on Fire. Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.
I think I must have blocked it out. I'm pretty sure it's been discontiued, thankfully. I love stirling's other offerings, but this stuff, whewwww, the crown jewel of stinkers.

The only AS that legitimately makes me retch is Veg. But that's a boring answer. So I'll say Ginger's Garden Enigma. I'm usually a fan of her scents, but Enigma just reeks to me.

And this thread really drives home the YMMV point. My heart skipped a beat when I saw my beloved 4711 besmirched. There's so much subjectivity about scents it's crazy.

Except the Veg. Nothing subjective about that. :lol:

TOBS 74. Zero lime scent. Reminds me of toilet bowl cleaner.
60D18E9A-CB71-4297-8849-C67D0DC99B65.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My personal non-favorites are:

Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, which smells as if someone dipped their head in the Office Christmas Party punch bowl.

Osage Rub, which is a horrendous mixture of Bengay pain ointment, Vicks Vaporub, and jet fuel.

Top Bottom